Suddenly, The Jays Are Contenders

November 13th, 2012 by Jane Heller

What a crazy trade that was reported today. I get that the Marlins wanted to dump payroll, but weren’t they having enough trouble with attendance at their new stadium? Who’s going to show up without marquee players?

And why did the swap have to benefit one of our division rivals?

I know this is a traditionally slow time of year for Brian Cashman – isn’t he usually rappelling down a building or tending bar? – and I don’t anticipate that he’ll make any headlines until next month. But I always go into a bit of a panic when I read about other teams getting stronger and scarier. I mean Mark Buehrle is no slouch, but Josh Johnson is gooood.

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “Suddenly, The Jays Are Contenders”

1. YankeeCase says:

I could not believe it when the new guy at work told me this… Garf!!

Remember when I told you that you scared me when I realized we had not just the Red Sox and the Rays to deal with, but also a suddenly scary Baltimore team next year? Well we can add the Blue Jays to that list now. The whole division. Ok.

………………………………………….Challenge Accepted!

Garf is right, YankeeCase. (Is Garf the new Ack, btw? LOL) Our division is going to be a monster!

…and how is Toronto affording these guys if Florida can’t? We’re used to the AL East being full of winners but this is ridiculous.

I just read that Cano became an American citizen this week — Go Robbie!!! And he and Jeet got their Silver Slugger awards. GO INFIELD!!!

Finally, how did your book signing go, Jane??

No idea what Toronto’s payroll is, Diane, but somebody over there must have said, “Enough is enough. We’re going all in.” Jeez. My book party was great! I’ll be posting about it over on Mainly Jane as soon as I have pics. I signed your copy before the mad rush started to be sure I wouldn’t forget!

5. Leo says:

Do we have a chance to get Giancarlo Stanton? He’s pissed off based on his latest tweet. He’d be the perfect fit to replace Swisher but do we have the pieces to trade for him? Maybe not but I dont want Cashman to not even try. Ask if he’s available at the very least and then go from there. As for the Jays and Marlins, I am scared somewhat but welcome another challenge. Its part of the fun as long as they don’t beat us too bad!

Stanton sure did sound pissed off, Leo, as did all the fans in Miami (however many there are). But they’d be crazy to trade him. They do need to rebuild around some nucleus of major leaguers.

Once in a while I have a lot to say. So, forgive/allow me…

Here are two teams sick & tired of being also-rans. They’ve tasted ultimate success more than once in the past 20 years and long to return. For the Jays, nothing’s worked since that strike season of ’94 derailed their little dynasty. For the Marlins, this binge ‘n’ purge activity is a twice-told tale.

Jays were the only AL East member that hadn’t made a major move lately. With a rebuilt pitching staff, a mercurial but very talented SS, and the Return of Bautista, oh my there they are. You wonder if they’ll succumb to the double-taxation trouble that diminished their once-great team (i.e. paying American and Canadian hi-tax rates), but that’s for them to work out. But better (Blue Jay) dead than Red (Sox)…

Marlins are of interest only because this binging & purging has been done before…once after they won it all in ’97 (recall Renteria, Moises Alou et al, managed by Leyland)…then rebuilt into that team that broke our hearts in ’03 (Cabrera, I-Rod, and Josh F**king Beckett). Miami is a lousy sports town, but they’ll respond to WINNERS, and with a new Mgr. and a whole lotta youth, it may all click as in the past. Lousy news for the Nationals, too, if proving true. Nobody’s window stays open for long.

My point is — I’d like to see the Yanks have the ‘cojones’ to do a Major League Makeover — but I know that they’re too locked in with contracts, and the fans just couldn’t stand a few years of non-contention. But it seems to me that it’s coming, like it or not — would rather face it with youth instead of fossils…

A makeover, Dave? The Yankees are still a pretty good ball club and not everyone on the team is a fossil (Cano, Tex, Gardner, Granderson, Robertson, Joba, CC, Hughes). The time will come soon enough when Jeter, Mo and Pettitte (A-Rod too) will be retired or just done. At that point, we’ll definitely an infusion of youth.

9. Uncle Mike says:

The Jays always find a way to mess it up. Or injuries mess it up for them. They are not to be feared.

Not always, Uncle Mike. Even when they’re a terrible team they’ve found ways to give the Yankees trouble. The point is, even the lowly Orioles found a way to rise up. Remember how we all thought their hot start was a fluke?