“No Thanks, Yankees”

November 9th, 2012 by Jane Heller

That’s what Swisher, Soriano and Kuroda said to the Yankees and their contract offers. I can’t blame any of them (or their agents) for seeking more money/years elsewhere, but – and clearly I’m biased – isn’t playing for the Yanks in New York on the biggest stage for a team that will undoubtedly make the playoffs every postseason enough of reason to accept the offers?

I get that Swisher has lots of options and that Soriano wants to be a closer, but Kuroda?

It will be interesting to see how Cashman fills the gaps.

Also, very sad to read about the death of former Yankees GM Lee MacPhail, as it always is when baseball legends pass away.

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to ““No Thanks, Yankees””

1. Freya says:

I just watched Yankee Classics on YES – Farewell to the boss, where Nick Swisher won the game in the bottom of the ninth and I realized how much I will miss Swisher.

2. YankeeCase says:

It’s all part of the game, Jane. Reject the offer to try to get more out of the team. I can definitely see Kuroda back. Swisher for sure is gone, but who knows about Soriano. We’ll be getting one, if not two, supplemental draft picks from these rejected offers.

I’ll miss him too, Freya, but I think the Yankees can do better and for less money if they’re serious about payroll.

Yup, YankeeCase. Baseball is a business. I can see the Yankees upping their offer to Kuroda, but if he’s looking for more than a year I’m not sure it’ll happen. Same with Soriano. He can get a closer’s job easily with another team. On the other hand, he was invaluable to the Yankees last season. Again, the question is money.

I’m sure they’ll work on getting Kuroda to re-sign but the other two can walk. I’ll miss Swish’s personality but I think we can do better defensively and batting-wise. Who knows about Soriano – I know he wants to be a closer and it looks like we still have one. We’ll see.

5. Kathleen says:

Hi Jane!
    I just read your blog about Caregiverville. Well said! I have a son who is autistic and have also cried in the shower. You are so relevant!
    On to the Yankees, so, does Cashman sleep during hot stove? He so confuses me with his perceived inaction. I want Swisher, Kuroda, and some new, young studs. Is this too much to ask for?

Kathleen

6. Kathleen says:

Also, congrats to Cano on becoming a US citizen today! Good job!

Ah, so you saw the Huffington Post article today, Kathleen. Crying in the shower (or, in my case, in the car) is very cathartic, isn’t it? You totally need to get the book if you haven’t already, because one of the caregivers who tells stories is the mother of an autistic son. As for the Yanks, this is always a slow time. Something will happen, if not soon then in December. Yay, Cano.

8. Kathleen says:

I will definitely get the book.

I don’t think Cashman is totally asleep…I just read that The Yankees have show interest in catcher, Mike Napoli and outfielder, Torii Hunter. HMMMMM. Sounds good to me.

The Tigers seem to be the front runners for Hunter, Diane. And Napoli makes no sense. We don’t need another DH (his catching skills are questionable).