No More Swishaliciousness

November 1st, 2012 by Jane Heller

As per John Heyman:

The Yankees are ready to move on from the Nick Swisher era.

While they were still planning to make the $13.3-million qualifying offer to the free-agent outfielder on Friday, they appear hopeful he won’t take it. The offer is likely to be made only to protect the draft choice.

The Yankees seem to believe it’s very unlikely Swisher will take the one-year offer; in fact, they seem to be counting on it. While a repeat of the Jayson Werth seven-year, $126 million contract is out, Swisher should still be able to get at least a three-year deal, and perhaps even a longer one.

The Yankees generally are pleased with the overall production Swisher gave them in his four years in New York, but they see the era as being over after another rough postseason for Swisher. In his career, Swisher has just eight RBI in 154 postseason at-bats, with a .169 batting average and .589 OPS.

Swisher was a fan favorite for almost his whole stay in New York, but he expressed great disappointment at the fans’ booing of several Yankees in their ALCS sweep at the hands of the Tigers.

It’s not as if we weren’t expecting this. Swisher will definitely decline the Yankees’ offer and seek greener pastures. I’ll miss his sense of fun and I’ll never forget the time he took the pitcher’s mound at the Trop or how well he played first base in Tex’s absence, and he was pure entertainment out there in right field. But so it goes.

As for Soriano, he, too, is seeking – and will get – more money than the Yankees are willing to pay him and he should. He’s a good closer and good closers are in demand. My problem with not keeping him is what we’ll do instead. Say Mo comes back, as we all hope he does. Will he be able to pitch effectively for an entire season? Very possibly. But if not, do we think Robertson can step into the job this time? Or will Joba stay healthy and consistent enough to be the Joba of 2007? Or will some new candidate emerge?

Interesting times.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “No More Swishaliciousness”

1. Ladyjane303 says:

Being a fan who sits in Swisher country at the stadium, I will miss him a lot. He was always a lot of fun and really embraced being a Yankee. Sorry it ended in such an unpleasant way with the fans, but I agree, this is not unexpected. Still hoping that Mo comes back for 1 last fantastic season so we can give him the rousing send-off he deserves. I hope everyone is doing okay in the aftermath of Sandy (how’s your mother, Jane?). I was very lucky – still have power and am able to get to work on a very crowded subway. Sending good thoughts to all.

I sat in those seats for one game, Ladyjane, and Swisher was such fun interacting with the fans. But he was so streaky as a hitter and we have plenty of streaky hitters – not worth the money he’ll get elsewhere. I, too, hope Mo gets to have a grand farewell season. Fingers crossed it’ll work out that way. My mother – thanks for asking – has been at a hotel with her caregiver in Westchester since Sunday when the storm was approaching, figuring they’d lose power, which they did. She’s getting very antsy to go home, but the power’s not back yet. Really glad to hear the city is back to even a tiny bit of normalcy.

3. Ruth says:

I will continue to wear my Swisher Yankees shirt proudly. Really will miss him, and sorry it ended on a sour note. Has anyone heard a peep from our Captain? Wonder how he’s doing….

I’m sure the Captain has the best caregivers money can buy, Ruth (I volunteered to be one of them on Twitter – LOL). Actually, I did see something about him hobbling around on crutches. Maybe a pic too. Can’t remember where.

Wow. The storm was terrible for many of us on Long Island. We, fortunately, were very lucky. We did not have any damage to our house, our property or our cars, and all we lost for a couple of days was cable, the internet, and our home phones. We never lost power and our cell phones worked. There are so many who have lost everything. And some who lost loved ones. I pray for all who have suffered through this ordeal.

I think Swish was a very positive feature on the team but he just didn’t produce. We need to get younger and more productive. I know that Cashman keeps talking about how pitching is the most important part but our pitching at the end of the season and for what little bit of the post-season they were in was incredible — we need some bats. Hope all who write to Jane that live in the tri-state area came through this terrible storm well. GO TRI-STATERS!!!

Scroll back a couple of posts, Diane, and you can read comments from others about their storm travails. Almost everyone has been accounted for, which is a relief. Glad you’re okay too.

And so it begins. Hail and farewell, Swish. Ruth, you are absolutely the first person I thought of — you and your hubby together, in “matching 33s,” at Nats Park last summer…a happier moment in time…

Mostly, however, hoping that everyone has emerged okay or better from that awful storm. Been almost ashamed to say that we were barely grazed by it; all the stories and photos are horrific. Prayers and best wishes to everyone, esp. including your mom, Jane…we know how terribly disruptive this is to the elderly.

Back to baseball. Yes, Soriano likely gone too, and it’s worrisome with Mo’s status. All during the ALCS and WS, I made semi-snarky comments that the Yanks should sign Delmon Young. He CAN hit, and esp. in the postseason. Old-timer Yankee fans will recall many times when the Yanks dealt with a guy that just KILLED them — by trading for them, or maybe buying up their contract. What do you think?

The last – and I mean the very last – player I’d sign is Delmon Young, Dave. I don’t care if he hit well against us. He’s a chronic troublemaker and not the sort of player that befits the pinstripes. I’d take Torii Hunter over him any day.

9. yankeefansince1941 says:

Sandy had very little effect on us. Our power is uninterrupted, all our phones work, we have water, sewage, and food. Of course, we live in Arkansas.
    On a more serious note, I,too, will miss Swish and Soriano and fear that Mo may not be the Mo we know. And I am still in favor of unloading A-Rod and dipping into the farm system to rebuild with youth.
    I am also concerned with the injuries we have been experiencing, even in the minors. Perhaps we could use a new physical trainer as well. ? ? ?

10. Freya says:

My power went out on Monday and came back last night. Thankfully there was no damage to my home. My heart goes out to those who have suffered major losses.
    I can get back to my life now, which means that I can pay attention to the Yankee news. It looks like a lot has to be done in the off season to put together a good team again. I really hope Mo can be Mo again, that Kuroda signs again and that Andy can be Andy. I will miss Swisher.

If the Yankees unload A-Rod, yankeefansince1941, it’ll be quite a feat. Which team wants a big contract with an aging player? Don’t believe the rumor about the Marlins. They’re not interested. Neither are the Dodgers. The Angels are cutting ties with their expensive older players. Not exactly a lot of willing partners. As for the physical trainer, many of the injuries were freakish – foul balls off a foot or hand, comebacker off an ankle, trampoline accident, falling down the stairs, shagging fly balls.

Hooray that you got your power back, Freya!

12. Peggy says:

Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans….

YAY !!!! Mo is coming back !!!! That just made my day … :o)

Go Yankees 2013 !!!

Very happy he confirmed that he’ll be back, Peggy. I didn’t really doubt it but I’ll be thrilled to see him on the mound! Good news indeed.

14. Ruth says:

Jane, I can’t wait for a new post here, because every time I check in and see the Swishy post, it makes me sad.

Just for you, Ruth, a new post. Sort of. Go look.