So It’s Giants Vs. Tigers In The World Series

October 22nd, 2012 by Jane Heller

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

In other words,

Getty Images

I didn’t even watch Game 7 of Giants-Cardinals tonight. I went for the debate instead. I wish I could muster some interest in the World Series, but without the Yanks or any team I’m invested in emotionally, I just don’t care a whole lot. Tell me if it gets exciting or if there’s a storyline I’m missing.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “So It’s Giants Vs. Tigers In The World Series”

Just two words, Jane…Who Cares??? I’m not a baseball fan, I’m a Yankees fan. I do not watch any of the post season if The Yankees aren’t in it. I found the debate a bit boring…they both seemed pretty laid back – and the way they were both looking at each other was a bit uncomfortable. It was nice to seem them and their families all being quite friendly afterwards. Its going to be interesting…Election Day in 2 weeks. GO VOTERS!!!

I was just reminded by my brother-in-law that he’s a huge Giants fan, Diane, so I’m happy for him. The trouble is my friends here in Santa Barbara are Dodgers fans and they can’t stand the Giants. I’m staying neutral. Haha. You thought the candidates were going at each other in last night’s debate? Did you watch the last one? They were standing in each other’s spaces! This one was tame by comparison. But yes, everybody, go vote!

Well, since nature abhors a void…once again, you’ve got me…

Unlike Diane, I really AM a baseball fan. Found time to watch part or all of every WS since 1960, except 1984 (we were traveling in Europe). Paid $$ to attend every Oriole home WS game in 1979, and suffered with them when they blew a 3-1 Series lead and lost to the accursed Pirates (see next paragraph).

Since I have a looong memory, and suffer insults GREATLY to the Yankees (my 3 Pet Hates in the NL are the Pirates, the Dodgers, and the Cardinals; see 1960, ’63, and ’64), it spices up my viewing. And now that, in modern times, there’s a local NL team in D.C. to love…you can redouble that Cardinals Hatred.

All we vengeance-addled Nats fans wanted was for the @#%!$Y^ Cardinals to NOT win back2back WS. To be honest, I’ve always liked the Giants, because (1) they’re the Dodgers’ mortal enemy, and (2) they DIDN’T beat the Yanks in ’62 (or else I’d surely despise them too, I guess). Still hard to believe that the team of Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, and Marichal went to just that one WS and never won it. But today’s Giants, like the team of 2010, are another band of scrappy misfits with some hellacious pitching & defense. It could be a very tight and low-scoring Series. We’re just so happy there’s No Cardinals. May u enjoy…

4. john says:

A couple of tidbits.

Braves and Phillies announced their spring training home schedules yesterday. Earliest ever I think.

Yankees are playing games (I wish they were) with season ticket locations next year. No reasonable reason given

Sorry about the last posting. Waay too self-indulgent, again.

But I’m equally sorry that nobody seems to notice or care about the WS. To answer your last comment, it did get exciting already, and you’re missing some storylines.

By now, even Dodger fans may know about Kung Fu Panda and his amazing night in Game 1. Only Babe (twice), Reggie, and Pujols had games like that before. And off VERLANDER!! Electrifying excitement.

But the storylines you’re missing are about two excellent pitchers who have struggled. Remember Barry Zito, from his Oakland A’s days? Signed that huge contract — a bust for five years — wasn’t even active for the 2010 Series — and now he’s back, heroically. And This Year’s Bust — Tim Lincecum, ‘The Freak’ — highest era in MLB this year — is lights out as a reliever. Right now, the Giants are Magic; tune in.

I’m not missing the three homers or Verlander not being very Verlanderish, Dave, or that Zito has made a comeback at this stage of his career, after that big contract. I just didn’t sit and watch the game.

7. Freya says:

I love baseball so I watched the game and once the World Series is over I will be in “baseball withdrawal.” Of course I am NOT rooting for Detroit. It was a great game last night. It would have been better if the Yankees played like the Giants, but….
    It was exciting watching those three home runs! I was hoping he’d do it a fourth time.

8. Sean K says:

I know I said I was done until next year, but had to break in with this: Mariano Rivera, the great Mo, is considering NOT trying a comeback and calling it a career. He’s done so much for the team over the years that he certainly deserves the right to call it quits on his own terms.

But I was REALLY hoping to see him back on the mound next year…

Baseball withdrawal isn’t fun, Freya. I’m glad I’m focused on my book promo so I don’t have to feel it as much.

He has the tug of family versus playing every off-season, Sean. I wouldn’t panic just yet. I still think he’ll be back.

11. YankeeCase says:

I’ve been watching the World Series so far. I love baseball and I don’t mind the SF Giants. Maybe if it was certain teams I’d only watch a little bit here and there. Of course I’d rather be rooting for the home team Yankees, but you know…

I just saw the news crawl on Mariano. It’s a little upsetting (as upsetting as something that’s only entertainment can be), but I’ll hold off on committing to any sort of emotion about it until we hear something definitive from Mariano himself. When he went down with the injury I was so down about the team, and Mariano didn’t give us a clear answer on what he’d do at the time. Obviously he had to get all the facts and figure things out for himself before making any sort of decision. When he said he’d be back I think it uplifted all of our spirits and made us feel somewhat better about what happened. So we’ll see.

As I said to Sean, YankeeCase, Mo always goes through this period after spending time with his family. It’s more complicated this time because of the injury and his advancing age, but you could tell how much he loved sitting on the bench and being back with the team at the end. I still think he’ll be back.

I think Mariano will be back…obviously I hope so. The only thing is that his pride (good pride, not egotistical pride) would want him to end his career on a high note. Last year obviously was not a high note but that was only due to the injury, not a decrease in his ability. But if he feels that he would not come back strong enough to end his career as the closer, then its likely he would stop it right there. We’ll have to wait to hear from Mariano himself but I’m sure he won’t wait until 2013 to make that decision. Now, a quick notes on The W.S. — they said on the radio today that Game 1 was the smallest television viewer figure for Game 1 of the W.S. in the history of the game. I guess there are a lot of Yankees fans out there that are just like me. STAY MARIANO!!!

I think the New York Times article about Mo had it right, Diane. In addition to sorting out his usual feelings about staying home with his family, he could be waiting to see what happens with Soriano. Both are free agents and although we love Mo for being Mo, he does have an agent and he does want to be paid. His value to the Yankees will be even higher if Sori bolts, which many expect.

15. Ruth says:

Mo will be back, because he said he would. I wrote it down, like he told me to. He won’t break his promise. Of course, he didn’t promise to be back WITH THE YANKEES!!! Ponder that disturbing and scary thought in your mind for a while…….after all, it is Halloween soon….!!!! World Series is good…I like San Fran…I’m an American League gal, as you all know, but I just can’t ‘get it up’ for the Tigers…LOL!!! Take care, everyone! Miss talking to you every day!!

I like the way you think, Ruth. Of course Mo will be back because he said he would! As far as getting it up for the Tigers, I think they’re the ones who need to get it up. They seem awfully lifeless so far.

17. Kaiser The Great says:

Bah! Confessions of a Bitter She-Fan. The post season was awesome. The new do-or-die Wild Card game. Four Game 5 DS games. Cardinals coming back on the Nationals. The Giants coming back on the Reds and then the Comeback Cardinals. The Tigers sweeping the Yankees and then being swept themselves by the Giants. Zito beating Verlander. Sandoval turning Verlander’s ERA into 11 by channeling Babe Ruth and hitting three home runs in one WS game. The Giants giving up the least amount of runs in a WS since 1966. Zito beating Verlander (worth repeating)! Okay, I’m probably biased, but I’m not sure how a post season could be more exciting.

Not bitter, Kaiser, just indifferent. I congratulate you and the Giants for a tremendous postseason. Really impressive in every way.