A Post About Health

October 21st, 2012 by Jane Heller

Photo: Newsday

Since Jeter had his ankle surgery on Saturday and CC is headed for a consult with the dreaded Dr. Andrews and Granderson is taking a trip to the opthamologist (maybe someone should send Cano to a sports shrink too), it seemed like a good time to talk about my new book a bit.

As many of you know, my husband Michael has Crohn’s, a chronic, autoimmune disease that affects the GI tract. He’s a trooper, despite having been hospitalized nearly 100 times since he was diagnosed at age 11, but caring for a family member with an illness or disability is a challenge. In addition, my mom, the original She-Fan, is 95 and experiencing memory impairment. What I’ve done in YOU’D BETTER NOT DIE is to share my personal essays about various aspects of caregiving – from baking a chocolate cake for a grumpy nurse to finding out why men should never go to the ER without a woman along (sorry, guys, but it’s true; you don’t like asking for directions and you don’t like giving a complete medical history). I’ve also interviewed other caregivers (some caring for a spouse or child, others caring for an elderly relative), along with experts in everything from fitness to meditation.

What you don’t know is that one of the caregivers I interviewed is a charter member of this blog: Harold, the father of our wonderful Barbara. Harold not only knows his Yankees baseball, but he’s an extremely kind and generous man who shared his caregiving stories about his son, who had ALS, and his wife, who had Parkinson’s. I thank him for his participation.

Another caregiver I interviewed from the Yankees family: Suzanne Preisler, the wife of Jerome Preisler, a prolific author who also writes for YES.com. Suzanne took care of both her sister (ovarian cancer) and her mother (pancreatic cancer), and one of the ways she got through it all was by watching Yankees games.

There’s much more about the book on my web site, but I wanted to alert everybody to it since it’s coming out in a couple of weeks and there will be coverage of it in the media, as well as the launch of my video book trailer. And I encourage anyone who has a family member with an illness or knows someone who does or even works with caregivers to spread the word. My goal with the book was to offer a cheerful, even entertaining companion (this is not a depressing book – really!). With more and more of us having to deal with aging parents and grandparents, I hope it can be helpful.

As for the Yankees, they’ll be fine. I agree with those who’ve said Swisher is unlikely to be back. Soriano too. I was disappointed to read that Pineda won’t be ready to pitch until mid-season, but another year of Kuroda, CC, Pettitte and Hughes would work, plus some pitcher yet to be acquired. (I don’t see Phelps moving into the regular rotation.)

For me, the biggest issue isn’t A-Rod. It’s Cano. He’s always been streaky, but he had everybody mystified by his fade. He needs to find a way to be more consistent if he wants the big paycheck once he’s a free agent.

Anybody watching the other games? Are they good?

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “A Post About Health”

1. Harold Schwartz says:

Hi,
    Thank you, Jane, for the kind reference to me in your blog. I am eagerly awaiting receiving your book which I ordered weeks ago. I just heard that the book should be released a few weeks earlier than previously anticipated.
    As I believe I told you when we spoke about my caregiving experiences, you do whatever you possibly can for those you love, and although it may be difficult you never stop trying to do you best for your loved ones.
    I look forward to reading your book and to yet another baseball season.
    Harold

The book sounds exciting, Jane. I’m definitely getting at least one, as you already know. I agree with your concerns about Cano, but I’m equally worried about Granderson. Whether or not they are thinking about trading A-Rod, I believe they should think about Granderson too. It seems like once he started hitting homers, he stopped doing anything else at the plate except striking out. I know that’s pretty common for HR hitters in general, but he was quite productive when he was just getting on base. I admire him as a person but if he’s not going to produce regularly for our team, I think they have to decide to get rid of him.

Hi Harold. Amazon seems to have moved the ship date from Nov 7 to Oct 31. I can never keep track of the machinations, but Nov 1 is the date I’ve been telling everybody. Yes, you certainly did do whatever it took to care for your loved ones, and you did it with your customary grace and fortitude.

Thanks, Diane. About Granderson, I know he had his ups and downs, but he’s still an exciting player in my mind. Look how he adapted to lefty pitchers after coming from Detroit with the reputation that he couldn’t hit them. He worked with Kevin Long and pretty soon he was hitting homers against them. The strikeouts were a problem, but I still think he gives us a lot. No one except Jeter “produced regularly” in that lineup.

4. Corinne says:

I was at a doctor’s appointment today that was delayed by 2 hours. I hadn’t expected to be there that long, and didn’t bring my nook or a book with me. What I did have, thank goodness, was my phone, which has a kindle app, and Confessions of a She-Fan on that. So, I did a lot of rereading, and thinking about the fans you met during that 2007 season, and I found some acceptance/peace whatever you want to call it over our (lack of)performance in the ALDS. I had gotten so disgusted, not so much with poor play, but because of the side show of who’s being benched, who’s sitting out, who’s being humiliated today, that I couldn’t even watch or listen. I found it very un-Yankee-like. Instead, I kept track on the phone or computer, and didn’t have to listen to any commentary. Anyhow, reading the book again (for the 3rd time), I also remembered how as angry as I got at the shenanigans – do or die, they’re my guys. And if I got a permanent tatoo (never) – it would be the interlocking NY.

As far as your new book goes, I’m anxiously awaiting it. A year I was suddenly thrust into the caretaker role, as my husband was diagnosed with a serious illness. I could really use an upbeat outlook on the task, as I wonder about how I’m handling the hole thing. Once, again, it appears, Jane is coming to the rescue.

5. Corinne says:

Excuse me, whole thing – not hole thing.

Oh, Corinne. You made my day. To be able to re-read She-Fan while waiting two hours for a doctor – and to have it help pass the time and lift your spirits – is great and I appreciate your sharing that. Very, very sorry to hear that your husband is ill. I would love it if the new book comes to the rescue when it’s out in a week or so, but I’m here in the meantime. Feel free to get in touch over on the site.