Backs To The Wall

October 16th, 2012 by Jane Heller

I’m not a cat person, but even I feel sorry for the kitty in that pic. He/she looks freaked out, which is how the Yankees look. They’ve been backed into a corner and their only escape is….Well, I have no idea how they’ll escape. CC could pitch the best game of his career tomorrow night, but they’d still have to hit.

And, as we know, they just aren’t hitting. The ninth inning was a bit of a tease after Nunez had that great at bat and then homered and then another run looked like it might be possible to tie the score against Coke. But Ibanez didn’t have the magic tonight and there was no happy ending. It wasn’t exactly a good omen when Hughes left with a stiff back. Sheesh.

The loss was such a shame for so many reasons. The pitching was sensational yet again and deserved better. Verlander looked more hittable than usual but he managed to get outs anyway. Cano actually got a hit and might finally be emerging from his slump. Chavez, in for A-Rod, didn’t help the cause at all.

So here we are, facing not only an elimination but a sweep. Two months ago I wouldn’t have thought it possible. I wouldn’t want to be Kevin Long right now.

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Backs To The Wall”

1. Sean K says:

CC has to pitch a shutout tomorrow. It’s the only way we’ll win with our offense sputtering like it is.

Luckily, he’s very capable of doing just that. I hope Hughes will be OK, although it didn’t look too serious.

One game at a time… let’s start by avoiding the sweep…

Go Yankees!

2. Barbara says:

I feel bizarrely ok. I didn’t think Hughes could beat verlander. I think we are in trouble but have a chance. The next three Yankee pitchers give us a chance starting with cc. The at bats in the ninth looked better than we’ve looked in a while. We didn’t ge out on two or three pitches but looked like we all were batting. They looked like they had a chance so if that continues, we have a chance. So I say win one and then see and then next thing you know it’ll be game 7 and anything can happen. Now I am usually the pessimist so I don’t know about this. Go cc

If the 2004 Red Sox could do it, so can we. Go Yankees!

4. yankeefansince1941 says:

I have often heard the expression “he has a heavy heart” but until last night I did not understand its meaning. Unlike Barbara, I am usually an optimist, but I am afraid that we have had it. CC may excel tomorrow and help us to avoid the sweep, but I feel that we are toast. And with an aging team I am not optimistic about next year. Perhaps it is time to think of rebuilding and bring up some of those kids in the minors.
    Can somebody cheer me up? Please?

I’m probably just being a whiner, but the home plate unpire’s concept of what was a ball and what was a strike when it came from Verlander was really off the mark. This only added to our team’s difficulty in hitting. If I heard correctly on the radio this morning, the Yankees’ post season batting average this year is the third worst in the history of MLB. Not good. Yes, they can wake up tonight but the odds are not in their favor. I really feel badly for The Yankees’ pitchers — they have been extraordinary, and if the bats were working at all we would be on the doorstep to The World Series. Ugh, oh well…we’ll see what happens. GO BATS!!!

6. Leo says:

One game at a time is the best way to approach the situation. It’s not where we wanted to be but it is what it is and now is the time for the offense to wake up. Our pitching deserves much better. They’ve been excellent. Just avoid the sweep and go at it from there. Audrey, can we pull a 2004 Red Sox? (excuse me while I barf from memories of that postseason). It may not seem like it now but I’m sure it is possible. But it’s best not to think about it now. Let’s just focus on this game, hope CC continues his dominant pitching performance, and pray the bats wake up. When we win, then we’ll take it from there.

Btw, I don’t know about anyone else but I’m a cat lover and previous owner so that pic melts my heart.

7. Sean K says:

Yankeefansince1941, I’ve heard that the Yankees are going to try to dump some of their nonproductive bats in the offseason and replace them with promising youngsters. Don’t know how yet but that’s good news — so cheer up!

Yankeefansince1941, I’ll try to cheer you up. (If Barbara can be optimistic, you can be too!) First of all, there’s no evidence that the Yankees should dismantle this team and “rebuild.” Besides which, we don’t have a farm system full of top draft picks and rookie phenoms. What we have is a team that was capable of finishing atop a very competitive division and of fighting off a very hungry and talented Orioles team. They’re in a hitting slump – a terrible, collective slump. Age is not the issue. Don’t forget that neither the O’s nor the Tigers have scored a ton of runs. This is the postseason and runs are scarce. Slumps happen and ours is a beauty. It could turn around tonight – or not. We’ll see. Cano got a hit. If he goes on a tear, who knows. No question these games have not been fun to watch – painful, in fact – but you never know what today will bring. Talk of “dumping” players is hyperbolic at this point.

“Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” — Harriet Beecher Stowe

I like that, Dave! Great quote.

11. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans …

Well …as you can imagine….I’m not too happy with My Yanks. Kudos to the pitching as it’s been fantastic for the team. Too bad the hitters (with the exception of a few) have COMPLETELY disappeared. The games have been so close..no blowouts…games that could have been won by either team …unfortunately, it’s been Detroit. What the heck is going on with Alex and the benching, pinch hitting for him, etc? I mean …it’s not like Chavy is doing any damage and he did make a big error in last night’s game to cause a run. On the flip side ..what the heck was Alex thinking flipping his phone number to someone during a playoff game? I think Joe G. has a screw loose this ALCS (or maybe it’s his Dad’s death). I understand he’s trying to shake up the team but some of the moves are just nutty..at least to me. To top it all off…losing DJ has been disheartening as he is the lifeblood of the team. I know the wise one said “it ain’t over till it’s over” but it’s hard to believe they will come back and take four straight when they can’t seem to hit their way out of a paper bag. It’s hard to believe they will even take one game but you know me …I am there till the bitter end and I’ll be hoping with all my heart. This is the only instance where I wouldn’t mind a Red Sox comparison…coming back from a 3-0 deficit to win it… :o). I have the Yankee Meetup in the city tonight so at least I’ll have company if it’s a miserable ending or I’ll have people around me to share my hopes for a longer season if they win. CC goes tonight, then they have Andy, Hiro & CC again on short rest. If they can just get some runs across it is still doable with these three pitchers going for us. I trust each and every one of them in any big game. So…once more I say …GOOOOOOOOO CC !!! GOOOOOOOOO YANKEES !!!!!

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

12. Peggy says:

Oops …Alex didn’t flip his phone number …he was asking for hers…

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

I agree about the lineup changes, Peggy. I’ve tried not to second guess Girardi (and Cashman, who, it seems, was in on last night’s shakeup), and I was very vocal when this scenario played out in the past and Torre didn’t do anything except drink green tea. But A-Rod had good numbers against Verlander and I would rather have seen Granderson take a seat if somebody had to. It all just felt like desperation and I worry about how things will be in that clubhouse going forward. As for the phone number thing, Oy. It’s not like the guys don’t do this on a regular basis – they do – but not during a playoff game and not when the season is on the line. Just so uncool. Have fun at your meetup, for better or worse!

14. That kind of looks like Schrödinger’s cat to me. Or maybe it’s just because my physics teacher had that as his profile picture on the school’s website where we did homework.

15. Terry S says:

Sitting Alex again is awful. I don’t know what Joe is trying to accomplish with that. If Chavez were on fire, maybe. He’s not even slightly warm. Is Joe going passive-aggressive with Alex?

Chavez isn’t doing much, Terry S, so I guess it’s a lefty-righty thing. They keep saying it was “an organizational” decision based on a larger sample size. All I know is they’ve got a player whose confidence must be at an all-time low and whose relationship with Girardi is probably kaput at this point. I’ve always felt the lineup is better with him in it, just because pitchers think he can still hurt them.

17. Sean K says:

Game postponed until tomorrow, drawing a whisker more drama out of this.

Go Yankees, whenever they end up playing Game 4.