ALDS Game 4: Running On Empty

October 11th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Empty by Kristel Rae Barton

Just as an example of the above, the quartet of Cano/Granderson/Swisher/Martin were 0-for-20 in tonight’s loss to the Orioles. Even Nix had a couple of hits, along with Jeter’s two and one apiece from Ichiro and A-Rod. But let’s face it: the bats didn’t show up. I mean Joe Saunders? Not Cy Young.

Still, did anyone really think this series wouldn’t go to 5 games? Not the way these two teams have played each other all year and not the way the Yankees have been hitting.

The one bright spot during tonight’s 13-innings was our pitching. Hughes was great, very impressive. So were the relievers, all of them, including Phelps, who came in quickly, did his job and lost it at the end there.

And Joba. Poor, poor Joba. Does the guy have bad luck or what? I felt so sorry for him when he got hammered by the broken bat. I’m glad the x-rays were negative, but that was some welt on his elbow. Of course, a little levity was in order after the incident and someone on Twitter wrote: “Clemens would have thrown the bat at Wieters.”

Now there’s a game 5 in a matter of hours. Why a start time of 5pm Eastern/2pm Pacific I’ll never understand. Can’t MLB give the players a few more hours to regroup? And how about the fans who are still working (like me) or commuting home at that hour? I get that the winning team will have to play on Saturday, but what difference could a few hours make?

So. Now we’re down to the proverbial wire with our ace on the mound; that part’s comforting. What’s not comforting is the offense. Pinch-hitting for A-Rod is no longer the easy answer. Clearly, everybody needs to step up or it’s goodbye till next year. I was hoping the boys would win tonight in memory of Girardi’s dad. Maybe they’ll answer the call in Game 5.

Tags: , , ,

21 Responses to “ALDS Game 4: Running On Empty”

1. Sean K says:

*grumble* *grumble*

[expletive] A-Rod… 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, he doesn’t even need a HIT just a check-swing dribbler to 1st…

[swears under my breath] Granderson… 9 K’s in 16 AB’s, he should change his name to *K*urtis…

[mumble] useless [mumble] Swisher… [grumble] Cano…

Can we bench all four of these nonperforming chokers for Game 5 and replace them with players that might actually provide some offense? I trust CC will pitch well but let’s be honest, pitching hasn’t been the Yankees’ problem this series.

Oh well. At leats the Tigers had to burn Verlander so he can’t start in Game 1.

Let’s win tomorrow! Come on, Yankees!

2. Sean K says:

I hope Joba isn’t hurt too badly. That was not fun to see. Pure freakish chance, of course, no one intended for it to happen, but that doesn’t make it hurt any less.

At least today’s game shouldn’t keep we east coasters up till midnight, Jane. Geesh, I need a good night’s sleep.

I admit my unhappiness is directed mostly at Granderson. I love Grandy but the strikeouts are really getting old. Has anyone told him he doesn’t have to swing at everything? But Grandy is not alone in not producing, as mentioned. Can someone sprinkle these guys’ sunflower seeds with some “We want to win this” pixie dust?

4. john says:

Speaking of Joe’s dad, wife and I got to spend 2 days in 2004 with him at Spring Training sitting next to the Yankee dugout. We have some nice pictures of him and his World series ring Joe gave him. He kept us captivated for several hours on 2-18 and 2-19 of 2004 with stories about his family and he gushed pride about Joe and his accomplishments. Meeting Gerry Gerardi and listening to his stories still ranks as one of our most precious Spring Training experiences. (Meeting the She-Fan is still a top ten moment as well)

I have good feeling about tonight.

Is everybody a “choker,” Sean? The Orioles hitters too? Because they haven’t hit in the series either. I’m as frustrated as you are, but I’m not a sports psychologist. I don’t know that our guys are paralyzed by panic. I wish I had an answer though. Or, scratch that, I wish they had an answer.

I need a good night’s sleep too, Audrey. I never sleep well when the Yankees lose. I toss the games around in my head. Last night I dreamed the score was 5-5 and we still lost in extra innings! Could you find some of that pixie dust and send it to the Bronx asap?

Oh, that’s such a nice story about Girardi’s dad, John. Thanks for sharing it. I hope you’re right about tonight.

7. Hockeybasednyc says:

Cant stand that this game starts at 5.

Unbelievable. I’d be livid if I owned a bar. MLB should stop worrying about crap like this and make sure that the game can actually BE SEEN by a game 5 worthy audience. The most important game of the season and I and countless others will be too busy to watch because we will either be A. Stuck in traffic , B. Still at work, C. Getting ready for dinner/eating and if you have a family with kids, forget it. D. Doing daily 5-7pm stuff, whatever it may be.

Furthermore, which makes this even worse for me – I finally get a night out with the boys and was hoping to watch the big game and it will pretty much be over by the time I get out. Sure, having a kid is my decision – and everyone’s schedules are different – but MLB makes their money from ratings and watching eyes, and it should be their duty to start these important games in prime time so the country can watch them and businesses can make a buck off of it as well.

Idiotic if you ask me. There’s probably some dumb clause in the CBA or league mandated rules that force this to happen. This is exactly whats wrong sports these days. Lockouts, Cable Wars, Insane Ticket prices, terrible scheduling. You watch this great theater to get your mind OFF of that stuff. The fan always gets screwed. And yes, this rant is all over 2 hours.

Go Yanks.

I agree Hockeybasednyc. I really do.

9. Leo says:

I hope Girardi shakes up the lineup tonight. Many of our regulars are black holes in the lineup and if we want the best chance to win, then it’s time to shake things up. This isn’t about hurting people’s feelings or fragile egos. Whatever needs to be done to give us the best chance to win. Replacing Granderson and A-Rod with Gardner and Chavez is a start along with Ibanez starting at DH. Hopefully Jeter still isn’t hurting too bad so he can play SS tonight.

10. dj says:

More RISP failure. BOO. =(

I would really like to keep the off-season depression from occuring for a couple more weeks and I really want to see Pettite get his 20th post-season win. Hopefully Mystique and Aura will make an appearance in the Bronx tonight/today.

Tess Gerritsen was wonderful. She talked about how she went from being a physician to being a novelist as well as the inspirations behind some of her stories. She was interesting and engaging. I have to admit that I have not read any of her books yet, but am even more excited now to give them a go. I even got to hear the Yankees tie the game in the car on the way home and was feeling good. Hubby was watching the VP debate so I ended up watching as well and keeping track of the game on my phone. The good feelings dissipated for more than one reason.

Let’s GO Yankees!!

11. Sean K says:

Nothing was *expected* of the O’s this year… you can’t be a choker if no one expects you to do anything in the first place. And the Yankees’ high-priced pitchers are SUPPOSED to shut off the O’s bats [and they have.]

Anyway, HOPEFULLY we can just win tonight and put all this unneeded drama behind us. At this point I don’t care if we go 0-for-48 with RISP and win 1-0 in 30 innings, just win any way you can get it!

Let’s see if this one sticks. So far, no luck for either Ruth or me…

Watched thru the 12th inning, like the nite b4, then couldn’t take any more. Let me share what I shared with Ruth…in the bottom of the 8th, with two RARE hits back-to-back, and no outs…Cano, this is YOUR team, and YOU should lead it. Now we know where he’s leading it. But still…one out, BOTH runners in scoring position. And that awful statistic is flashed — A-Fraud and Swish-swish-swish (that’s strike 3) are a combined TWO FOR FIFTY with RISP. Jane and her husband Michael could barely do any worse (hey, one of ‘em might draw a walk)!! THAT WAS THE TIME TO PINCH-HIT IBANEZ, FOR A-ROD. IF YOU WANT TO WIN. Because ANYTHING hit to the right side, other than a liner or a pop-up, with Fleet Ichiro getting a good start, and he scores the run we HAD to have. A-Fraud is a RIGHTY, remember? I will never understand it, not all winter, never.

The starting time is UNBELIEVABLE, just like this stupid-a** playoff format. All week long, we in D.C. have bitched that it’s SO unfair to have the NL teams play every game in the sunlight/twilight, like the old Cubs, just to accomodate the far larger legions of Yankee Lovers & Haters nationwide. And NOW they flip-flop?! For THIS game?!? Yes, Jane, you explained it officially, but STILL, I will never understand. What morons.

But this probably won’t get posted anyway, so WTF…

Shake up the lineup with which players, Leo? Girardi doesn’t have a whole lot to work with right now. I’d use Ibanez at DH but Gardner’s not up to starting.

Glad you enjoyed Tess’s author talk, DJ, and got all the “entertainment” in. I managed to watch the debate after the game, so I covered my bases, so to speak.

Interesting theory, Sean, but I’m not buying it. Everyone’s on the big stage right now, expected or not.

What’s all this about the posting, Dave? If you’re having problems, just email the web site.

14. Terry S says:

Running on empty is right! I’ve been at both games and have mostly enjoyed a great series. However, the massive whining by so many Yankee fans is disconcerting. Maybe the Yankees have created a monster. There’s a generation of fans who have experienced nothing but winning and what brats they are. For the first time ever (and I attend 60+ games each season), I summoned security to deal with Yankee fan on Yankee fan abuse. Unbelievable! I’m very passionate about Yankee baseball, but jeez!!! Anyway, the howling pack of wolves settled down a bit and I got to watch great playoff baseball.

I am looking forward to a game five win for the Yankees tonight in this dogfight of a series. Go Yankees.

Wow. Both games, Terry S? That’s a lot of playoff baseball!!! Yes, Yankee fans can be brats and I confess to being one of them sometimes, but abusive fans are not cool at all. Sorry you had to endure that.

That was a devastating loss, Jane and all fans. I’m scared for tonight…I mean this afternoon. Its better for C.C. that the game is a little early – he seems to like when its a bit warmer. But as many have already said, its not the pitching that we have to worry about. Girardi has done everything possible – I don’t think there’s anything more that he can do. They just need to start hitting. I don’t want the post-season to end this way, not only because I’m a Yankees fan but because I’m a Jets fan and so I don’t want it to be football season yet. Ugh. Come on Yankees — do it for your fans. And fans…please do all your lucky stuff – the luckly clothes, whatever needs to be done around the house or where ever you watch or listen to the game. We’re in it to win it too. GO YANKEES!!!

I think Girardi has done it all too, Diane. It’s really up to the hitters to get it done and I’ll do everything in my She-Fan power to be lucky for them!

18. dj says:

Terry S – I am partly one of that generation. The last 18 years have been the meat of my baseball/Yankees life. I am spoiled and I expect the Yankees to win. That said, I am not one who will assume that they will win nor do I take wins for granted. (I also live in the Midwest and have only been to Yankee Stadium once) Monday night when my hubby suggested that we go to bed early, I was holding my phone with the NYY radio feed on, looked at him like he was crazy, then looked at my phone and asked “You want me to miss the game? I want to hear/watch Andy Pettite get his 20th post-season win!”. He calmly replied (he is NOT a Yankees fan) that it was not a deciding game and that I could catch Andy again in the ALCS. Now, that would be super-duper-fantabulous-awesomeness but there is no way I was (nor am) going to ASSUME the Yanks make it there.

I, like you, am very passionate about Yankee baseball, but when it comes down to it, I am a BASEBALL fan and will appreciate great playoff ball. I am sorry the idiot fans nearly ruined your enjoyment of being at the Stadium for a playoff game. Please cheer on our boys for all of us she-fans that will not be in attendance. I truly hope that you see a great game! =)

19. Sean K says:

Breaking news — A-rod out, Chavez in. Too bad Girardi didn’t also bench Swisher and Granderson…

Hopefully Chavez gets a couple of hits and we squeak out a win.

Good thing Girardi didn’t take your advice about Grandy, Sean!

21. Sean K says:

Yes, indeed, Audrey! He finally broke out.

Whew! We escaped the ALDS by a whisker. I couldn’t even watch on TV — the game was too close, so I had it on the ESPN Gamecast and had a UFL game on to distract me. That top of the 8th was scary.

Now, another shot against the Tigers. Let’s see if we can WIN the series against Detroit this time…

I’m away for the weekend again. Back Sunday morning. Go Yankees!