Rauul Is So Coool

October 2nd, 2012 by Jane Heller

Well.

Where do I begin? It’s a good thing I’m only writing this post instead of speaking it, because I’m totally hoarse right now. What a game. I may never recover.

Things were looking so bleak for so many innings. Phelps was very good, but the offense? It was back to its old tricks of stranding runners. Tex was a terrible cleanup hitter (Girardi played the binder instead of putting Cano in the #4 spot) and the RISP fails were painful to watch – almost as painful as watching Gardner get picked off when he came in to pinch run.

But the pen, like Phelps, was spectacular. Except for Soriano, who had a dismal 9th before recovering in the 10th. (I doubt we’ll see him tomorrow.)

Every extra innings game is tense, but this one carried such significance. I was grateful for that little bird that hopped onto the field, probably looking for some hot dog bun crumbs to eat, because it provided a little levity. Maybe it was a Rally Bird, judging by the way things turned out.

Did anyone think, in a million years, that Cervelli would score the winning run, let alone catch for the first time all year? But there he was in the 12th.

The hero of the game, of course, was Ibanez, who hit the bomb that got us into extras. Girardi had that move right, didn’t he? And then for him to knock in Cervelli with the game winner? If AJ were still around, Raul’s bald head would have been covered in shaving cream instead of a bucket of cold water, but I’m sure the hugs he got from everybody were good enough.

I’m breathless. Wow. Just wow.

One more tomorrow night. Please, Yankees.

Tags: , , , ,

27 Responses to “Rauul Is So Coool”

1. newyawklover says:

Only Ibanez wins a RISPy tonight. Tex and Cano were dreadful in these situations. That said, the boys got it done. Well done. One more

At least Cano got a couple of hits, NYL. Tex was 0 for 6!

3. Sean K says:

That was WAY too nerve wracking. Can we win an EASY game tomorrow? Maybe a Janer?

Although I’ll take a win of any kind. It would clinch the division.

4. SBlue says:

I shouldn’t have taken it easy. What was I thinking? I was getting mad after every inning and throwing my cap on the ground because of RISPfail. Then Ibanez came and restored my confidence but yeah, where did Cervelli come from? Good for him. The way he ran towards home was pure lol. So happy right now.

Even better was that Texas lost again and we get homefield. Crazy.

5. Barbara says:

I can’t believe I missed it. I can’t believe each hour I work up during the night I was miserable for nothing. I came home from work not feeling well, the game made my head worse so I went to sleep in the 9th miserable after sori gave up the homer. I wasn’t even going to check the score this morning because I was going to try to avoid the pain. Ok now I can’t go to work. I have to watch the rest of the game. Wow. My mood has totally changed. Wow

So glad I stayed up till the end because I went to bed very happy! Yesterday was the 34th anniversary of the day Bucky Dent hit his infamous homer against Boston and became a swear word in beantown. Today they have a new swear word – Raul Ibanez!

Meanwhile, Tex did his best to become a swear word in my house. Boy, was I mad at him – he’s definitely off my list! I thought the same thing as you, Jane – why not Cano in the cleanup position when he’s been so hot? Stupid lefty-righty stuff.

All in all I was happy with the way it played out since Cervelli scored the winning run and that clearly mad him a very happy guy. I love the little human dramas within each game.

And the bird drama was funny to watch, a welcome laugh during a tense game. I had to watch the game on NESN and one of the Boston announcers was calling it the curse of the birds sent up by the Orioles. In his dreams:).

Wow! I cannot imagine a more exciting outcome to a game we needed to win. Ibanez has been a real gift. Tex was terrible – I’m not sure what’s wrong but he’s got to step up. Nunez was a great pick for DH so some of Girardi’s ideas were good ones. We freaked out when the took Stewart our after taking Russell out…we forgot Cervelli was on the bench. We need to win tonight – great starters for both teams but I totally feel like we have the edge…GO YANKEES!!!

8. Terry Sanford says:

There is nothing more exciting then hugging and kissing strangers in the bedlam of Yankee Stadium after a thrilling walk off, come from behind victory. These guys just never give up! I admit, I was totally exasperated after the top of the 9th, but Raul took care of that.

I think we could all really use a Janer tonight.

Any win, Sean. Any way. I can’t take much more of this. Short and sweet would work for me.

Yeah, the home field thing is sweet, SBlue. I wasn’t expecting Texas to go down like that.

I bet your headache is gone now, Barbara. I hope so anyway.

HAHA, about the curse of the birds, Audrey. People on Twitter were saying it must be an Oriole spy, but not after it became our lucky bird.

I’ll be just as nervous about tonight, Diane, despite our starter. I want it over early because I’m going to a debate party to watch the candidates and my brain can’t handle too much drama.

You were there, Terry? Really must have been bedlam, although on TV it looked like the seats were almost empty with the long game and the intermittent rain. So grateful to Raul.

10. margaret says:

OMG this game had me pacing like a wild person.
    My hubby and dog went off to bed.
    I was texting with a Yankee friend in PA. She and I were crazed.
    I was pacing, talking to my televison, cursing when they left men on base.
    I just couldn’t fathom going out this way.
    Love love love Raul this morning don’t we?

And on another note did you all see this from LoHud?

Oh my goodness what a hoot. (From the 5 minute mark on)
    He made me happy last night too. (and my God is he damn cute!)

11. Ruth says:

I’m still rocking in a corner, chain-smoking cigarettes for the first time in my life. My nerves can’t handle this! And it’s not even the post-season yet…..hopefully I won’t graduate to heavy medicinals in the event of a one-day playoff – TWO DAYS IN A ROW….nope, I can’t handle that without pharmaceutical intervention…..

I did see the Cervelli “newscast,” Peg, and while I think he’s cute I also think the Yankees made the right choice in not using him as the backup catcher! His winning personality and ability to score the winning run are great. He also came into the game and promptly allowed a passed ball. And yes, we sure do love Raul this morning.

Did you really start smoking again, Ruth? Or just metaphorically? I’m hoping the Yankees don’t drive you to that! Actually, I think these games are more stressful than playoffs in a way. Once you get to the postseason it’s all kind of cool but right now we’re trying to get there and it’s crazy.

13. Ruth says:

just metaphorically on the cigs, Jane, but the frayed nerves are no joke!

14. Freya says:

I too was a nervous wreck last night. The tension was unbelievable. WOW, what a finish. Ibanez was on fire. I will be at the game tonight!!!!!!!!

Last night, we were tired. Stayed up late to watch local baseball celebration, so no energy for Tuesday.

We both get up by/before 5 am for work, so it has to be a VERY big deal. Since she hates the Yanks, that wouldn’t work. All I knew was, the O’s were ahead 1-0 late (and they NEVER blow a lead; or if they do, they ALWAYS win in extras), so forget that. And the Yanks were down 2-1, seemingly all night long. Oh, well…so it’s back to a tie…worry tomorrow…

Then, about 10:05 or so, we get a phone call. $#%#?! It’s Son #2, the Yankee fan. What? Yes, we’ve gone to bed; yes, we were asleep. The ballgame? The Yanks did WHAT?? Ibanez?!? Oh, cool…thanks! She wasn’t too happy now on two counts, but I went back to sleep feeling a lot better. Next morning — Ibanez AGAIN!?! And Cervelli slides home? How great! She takes me to the train fussing and cussing how the Yankees ALWAYS buy it (what did Ibanez cost? $24 and a bag of beads?) — I just smile, get out of the car, and say “Have a good day, sweetheart.” Mine’s off to a GREAT start; hope it ends just as well…and yours too…

16. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans….

WHAT A GAME !!!! I was suppose to be at the game but I have been home for a week with back problems (never had it before). I am off to the doctor shortly to see what the X-rays have to say. I never stay home from work but this has been a painful week …except for My Yanks !!! They certainily made me feel better last night. The pitching did the job for the most part. The RISP was a horror but most important of all the Yankees won. RAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL really is so COOOOOOOL …haha. He is just a true professional and never uses the word I in all his interviews ..it’s always “we” did a great job. It’s amazing how he comes off the bench cold and gets the job done where the full time players can’t buy a hit sometimes. I’m not getting on Tex too much as it is only his 2nd game back after a long layoff. I think he might have beaten some of those plays if he was able to run full speed. I’d rather he be careful for now so he is ok for the playoffs.

I will go to the doctor to see what is up and I’m hoping with a supply of Advil I’ll be able to make the game tonight. I gave last night’s tickets to my daughter and son-in-law so I was happy they were able to see a terrific game. I’m just hoping I can be there and witness a division clinching win tonight. Wish me luck !

Have a great day all …GOOOOOOOOOOO YANKEES !!!!

Go Yankees 2012 !!

Freya, I hope Peggy makes it to the game and that you two can meet up if you haven’t already (I can’t keep these blog meetups straight at this point). Bring us luck.

Sorry your wife doesn’t care for the Yankees, Dave. What can I say. You seem to handle it well though.

Peggy, I hope you get good news from the doc about your back. Sounds like it’s been painful. I also hope you can make it to the game tonight and that you can meet Freya (see above). Most of all, I hope for your sake and ours that the game doesn’t last for hours and that it ends happily.

18. Peggy says:

Jane …

My seats are 418, Row 13, Seats 12, 13, 14. I really hope I can get there tonight but if I do I doubt I’ll be doing a lot of moving around…I’ll keep it at a minimum. I will definitely let the blog (Freya in particular..we haven’t met yet) know if I will be at the game. My son-in-law is going (my daughter has to work), a friend from the Yankee Meetup too. If I can’t go my son-in-law might bring his Mom (a Mets fan). My Met fan cousin brings us great luck so who knows …maybe she will too…haha. Of course, I’m hoping I’m there instead of a Met fan to see a Yankee Division clinching game. If I’m not there I will be in spirit with my body glued to the TV. Here’s to a BIG YANKEE WIN !!!!

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

19. Uncle Mike says:

I think, deep down, in places we don’t like to talk about at parties, we knew from Game 1 that Game 162 against the Sox was going to matter. But I don’t think anybody, not even William Nathaniel Showalter III, predicted it would happen like this.

Forgive the football cliche, but we control our own destiny. Win and we have the 1st seed in the AL Playoffs, it doesn’t matter what Baltimore, Texas or Oakland do. (Or Detroit, for that matter, because they’re already locked into the 3rd seed. The other 4 are battling for the other 4 seeds; all are in, it’s just a matter of where.)

The all-Japanese matchup favors the Yankees: Kuroda has been solid all year long, even in many of the games he’s lost; Dice-K hasn’t been the same since getting hurt in 2009. This could well be a night for the Laughing Lady.

I’d like to see the laughing lady, Uncle Mike, but Kuroda has been looking kind of tired lately. Plus, Dice K could surprise us. I’m never confident about these matchups, no matter how lopsided they may look on paper.

21. Freya says:

I am in Section 422, Row 7, Sears 25 & 26. I hope to meet you Peggy.

22. Peggy says:

Hi there …

Back from the doctor…the good news is I’m going to the game tonight (enforced with lots of advil). The bad news is I have a degenerative disc and inflammation …(getting old really stinks). He thinks I might have arthritis by inflammation and took a blood test. Hopefully, I know about that tomorrow. He said to lose some weight and exercise…two things I’m not very good at..haha. Anyway …most important is I can go to the game and I’m hoping to see a great one with a Division win. I can handle the physical pain I just don’t want any emotional pain with a Yankee loss. GOOOOOOOOOO YANKEES !!!

Let’s Go Yankees 2012 !!

23. Barbara says:

Al east champions!

Peggy and Freya, that must have been a really fun game! Yay for our Yankees!

25. Peggy says:

Hi Jane and Fellow Baseball Fans…

A Janer for the final win of the season …YAY !!!! What a terrific game …the place was rocking when the final score for the Balt/Tampa game went up. What a night for Robbie Cano …don’t cha know. Kuroda pitched like he has for us most of the season..steady and strong. What can I say ….I LOVE all of My Yanks !!! I’m so happy I was able to make it for the clincher. I have tickets for the first game back at the Stadium on Wednesday. I’m hoping we have a two game lead and that’s a clincher too….I’m greedy …hahaha. Can’t wait !!!!

Freya …sorry I didn’t get to say hi but I never saw your post. Looks like we posted at the exact same time and I missed it. I also gave you the wrong info too..duh. I wasn’t thinking straight and gave you my Sunday game seats but I actually was sitting in seats I purchased that weren’t in any of my plans for the final game. I was in 434A. Once I sat I didn’t move till I left …didn’t want to take a chance starting any back problems again. I did jump up (not thinking) when Grandy hit the homer and fortunately it was ok. Hopefully, we can meet up next season. As I said …it would be nice to get a bunch of the she/he fans together for a game next season.

Audrey ..it was fun AND stress free ..thankfully.

AL EAST CHAMPIONS AND BEST RECORD IN THE AL ….that’s Our Yankees !!! YIPEEEEEE !!!! Now they have bigger fish to fry so let’s get to it …GOOOOOOOOOOOOO YANKEES !!!!

Go Yankees 2012 !!

26. Peggy says:

P.S. …Looking forward to Jane’s champagne shot … :o)

Go Yankees 2012 !!

It’s coming, Peggy. Writing the post right now!