It All Comes Down To Them. Of Course.

September 30th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Actually, the Sox don’t control the Yankees’ destiny – the Yankees do – but you know what I mean. They have the capability and the desire to squash our postseason dreams. And it’s disturbing.

No, they’re not the Red Sox of yore. (Can’t believe I just used the word “yore.”) And they’re not having a good season, obviously, but we almost lost a series to the awful Blue Jays this weekend so who knows how the troika (can’t believe I used the word “troika” either) of Buchholz, Lester and Cook will do. For that matter, who knows how our own starters (CC, Nova and Kuroda) will do. Nothing is certain and these last three games will be stomach churning.

But how about that comeback today? After the Jays had scored five runs and Hughes had headed for the showers, I was tearing my hair out. And then, as if a miracle, we scored five to tie…and then more for good measure. Now that was inspiring. Cano, Grandy, Jeter, Nunez, Lowe, Logan, Robertson….everybody seemed to contribute. Soriano made it an adventure as usual and I was ready to smash the TV when he loaded the bases and gave up a run, but when he did his untucking of his shirt I was ready to kiss him.

And here we are. Down to the wire. Yes, there will be scoreboard watching – will the Orioles ever lose a game? – but it’s up to the Yankees to beat the Red Sox. Early and often.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “It All Comes Down To Them. Of Course.”

1. Sean K says:

Hey, we finally clinched a playoff spot!

[drinks a small glass of champagne]

Next, let’s see if we can win the division. Just have to beat the Sox enough times to do it.

It’s better than not clinching for sure, Sean. But I won’t post my annual champagne-drinking photo unless the Yankees actually win something to get into the ALDS. And with this screwy new system, who knows how it’ll all shake out.

How nice to wake up this morning to the news we had clincheda spot in post-season play. I won’t be satisfied, however, until we clinch the AL East (on Tuesday would be nice, thank you Get to work, Rays). I still audibly groan when I think of the ten-run lead we had and lost. Painful.

That said, I sure enjoyed yesterday’s game. Comebackers are always fun.

4. Sean K says:

Now that we’ve officially clinched a playoff spot, I’m going to state my happiness level according to how well we do in the playoffs.

Win WS = Break out the mai tais and Yahtzee!
    Lose WS = Hey, not bad. We made it to the Series.
    Lose ALCS = Meh. We did OK but it could have been better.
    Fail to make ALCS = Ugh! What happened, ya bums? Well, there’s always next year…

By the way, is it actually true that the “mai tai” got its name when two Polynesian alcoholics got into a fight over some neckwear? I have a friend who swears it is, but that seems like hokum to me.

We New York sports fans didn’t have much to be happy about yesterday, Jane…except for our Yankees. That was a huge comeback victory that we desparately needed. Tonight’s game should be fine but if the weather reports are correct I’m not sure how we are going to get games in on Tuesday OR Wednesday. Hope to God we don’t have to go Thursday and Friday instead. Soriano was the down side to their win…I swear that he needs to be in a save situation to be able to focus. Anyway, I also wanted to say that I feel that Boston threw the games to Baltimore to hurt us. Okay, its just an emotional reaction…I didn’t see any of their games and I didn’t read anything…it just seems hard for me to believe that Boston could not win one game at home. Anyway…GO YANKEES!!!

I don’t even remember being 10 games ahead, Audrey. It seems like a figment of my imagination!

There’s supposed to be rain in NYC this week, Diane? That would be horrendous if they couldn’t get the games in mid-week and complicate an already complicated situation. Maybe the reports will be wrong. It’s happened before?

This has been an excruciating struggle…at least for me…
    As you know, I root hard for two teams — one AL and one NL — and both of them have been driving me absolutely crazy for this last month. I’ve given up the Yanks for dead more often than I can count, but like the good vampires they are, they keep coming back when the moon is full. Or when the sun is out. Whenever, whatever.

Won’t waste your time lamenting my NL team, but trust me they’re in a similar boat. They’re young, totally unused to this pressure, and they’ve shown it. Phils will compete. So nothing is guaranteed, not ever.

I tried to watch the Bosox-O’s games this weekend, but they seemed to be over by the first inning. The games were in Baltimore, a hitter’s paradise, and for the first time in 15 years they are exploiting it. The O’s are so hot they are truly scary for the postseason (look who’s won the last two WS — the HOT team). At least the Rays ain’t dead yet, and can be competitive, and it’s in Tampa too. The Bosox lineup is unrecognizeable — it felt like watching “Major League” again — “who ARE those guys?” And they threw Humpty, Dumpty and Chumpty as starting pitchers in Camden Yards, so maybe Diane has a real point. But they won’t lie down against the Yanks. I hope that when the smoke clears Wednesday nite (weather permitting) that both my ballclubs will have division flags in hand. But it’s up to them. Pass the Maalox.

8. YankeeCase says:

Well, Michael Kay just announced on the radio that David Phelps will be starting tomorrow instead of Ivan Nova. So there’s that…

And Mark Teixeira is starting at first tonight!

I was waiting for that to happen, YankeeCase. Thanks for the update. And yes, Tex is starting and batting fifth. Sure hope he’s okay.