No Hit, No Pitch, No Win

September 27th, 2012 by Jane Heller

How annoying. The Yankees had a chance to gain ground on the idle O’s and instead they rolled over and went to sleep.

Not that Brandon Morrow isn’t a tough pitcher; he stymied our bats tonight. But no runs? Seriously?

And how about that outing from Nova? Stinko. I’m beginning to think his inconsistency is the norm, not the exception, and that he’s deservingly losing favor within the organization. It’s a shame, because he had such a promising rookie season, but we need starters we can count on going into the postseason. Does anybody feel comfortable with him in the rotation against, say, the Tigers?

Not much else to say. Lowe? Aardsma? Not worth the ink.

Oh, Canada. I’m actually feeling kindly toward that country at the moment since I’m doing an interview tomorrow for my new book with Maclean’s Magazine, their equivalent of Time or Newsweek. I like the city of Toronto too, but I’d be very happy if we beat the last place Blue Jays over the next three days.

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “No Hit, No Pitch, No Win”

1. YankeeCase says:

Brandon Morrow did the exact same thing to us just about this same time last year, also in Toronto. So I wasn’t too optimistic going in this time around. I would’ve liked to have seen a different outcome obviously, but we just weren’t meant for that it seems. We’re just going to have to keep plugging away at this thing.

As far as Nova goes, he wasn’t exactly terrible. Two bad pitches, like Al Leiter said. If he gets out of those two situations, then maybe we’d be talking about how he’s starting to look like his old self again, with two out of three decent outings. But he didn’t make it out of the fifth for the second straight game. I really think it’s all about this being his second full year and how he was used last season. Not that he was overused, but it was his first full season and maybe his body just hasn’t had the time to recover. Maybe he still has to learn a few things about nutrition and his health and whatnot. He’s not the first pitcher or even athlete in general to have a bit of a drop off in their second full season. It happens everywhere all the time. In fact, I pretty much guarantee that as long as he’s healthy next year, he’ll be back to his old -err, young self! Maybe even All-Star worthy…

That said, his inconsistency may have Girardi looking to another starter for the penultimate game of the season if a crucial win is needed. Maybe Freddy Garcia or even David Phelps. But let’s not scare ourselves quite so just yet!

2. Sean K says:

Doesn’t matter how well Nova pitched. We scored zero runs. I happen to have a degree in math and I ran off a quick calculation: if you score zero runs, you chance of winning the game is 0.00%.

I thought we’d put Tampa Bay away but all of a sudden they’re making a charge. What happens if TB/OAK/BAL/NYY all finish with the same record? By my count, that’s 4 teams for 3 playoff spots.

Well, hopefully we’ll win enough games to secure a spot outright and not have to worry about any tiebreakers. Let’s start by winning tomorrow.

Morrow was lights out…but The Yankees seem to hate playing indoors anyway. Still, that was a horrible loss all around, not that there’s ever a good one. I think Nova is done – he’s had every chance. He started out well but then he just self-destructed. We have to take the rest of this series – I don’t want it to come down to beating Boston…even if its at home. They always find a way of making it tough on us, even when they have nothing to win from it. GO YANKEES!!!

You’re right about Nova, YankeeCase. Could be a sophomore slump. Either that or his rookie season was a fluke. Or maybe he just misses AJ! Whether the reason, the idea of Sweaty Freddy taking his spot in the rotation is too scary and Phelps is a perfect long man in the pen, so I guess I’d rather stick with Nova.

Sean, that is one nerve-wracking scenario you described. I don’t think I could take it!

I agree about Boston, Diane. I never take them for granted. But then I never take any team for granted. Look at Toronto. They’re supposed to be a last place club and yet they play very tough baseball.

Painful. But if I’m not mistaken, Morrow also shut out the Orioles last week, so HE’S the one on fire…

Diane’s right. The Yanks DO seem to hate plastic grass and domes and all that. They favor young, fast teams who can hit the ball on the “ground” or in gaps and run all day, something the Yanks aren’t exactly known for doing. And Jane, you’re right too about the Jays not lying down…I was delighted that they managed to split 4 games with the O’s, but now the favor may be being returned. Hope not.

And I don’t even wanna talk about the Bosawx. So I won’t.

Yeah, Dave. The Jays are tough no matter where they are in the standings. We had trouble with their old regime and now the new team has speed, which we could use more of.

7. yankeefansince1941 says:

It seems to me that when we play a game after traveling, we lose. I have had this feeling all season, though I don’t have facts to back it up. So I am wondering if ‘old age’ might be catching up to us. After a good night’s rest, we should come back and win the next couple of games and go on to take two out of three from the Sox. At least that’s what I’m hoping. And maybe the Rays and The O’s will knock each other out.
    I’m too old for all this tension. :-)

I’ve always thought that too, yankeefansince1941, but they should only get a pass when flying in late at night or early in the am, like after a west coast trip or ESPN game. Toronto’s just a quick hop from NY. They’re down to the final week, so no rest even for the weary.