A Little Bit Of Everything Today

September 16th, 2012 by Jane Heller

And Friends of the Blog, John and Peggy, got to meet up before the game and see all the excitement.

(Note to all commenters. Love the occasional pics but please re-size them before emailing so they’re not large files. Thanks.)

What John and Peggy got to see was small ball, long ball, good defense, misplays and errors, steals, even a warning and a couple of ejections. That’s an interesting combo for a Sunday afternoon.

Best of all, the Yankees won the series, shoved the Rays down the ladder and can take the next day off feeling good about things.

Here’s what I felt good about:

• Nunez’s running game. I realized how much the Yanks have missed having someone speedy. He made some nice plays on defense too.
  • More RBIs from Jeter and A-Rod, our “senior citizens.”
  • Russell Martin’s resurgence at the plate.
  • Having David Phelps in the bullpen.
  • Dave Robertson looking more like Dave Robertson.
  • Soriano untucking after the save and not making an adventure out of it.

Here’s what I wasn’t thrilled about:

• Moore throwing over Granderson’s head. I had steam coming out of my ears and was grateful Grandy was quick enough to duck out of the way.
  • The ump issuing warnings to both teams. Why not just eject a pitcher that throws at a guy’s head, intentional or otherwise? I know, I know. The warnings are to prevent the other team from retaliating. But to me, a better idea is to send the culprit to the showers.
  • Kuroda not pitching well with the nice lead. Maybe he prefers having zero run support?
  • The A-Rod error. It could have been costly, but wasn’t, thankfully.
  • Hearing Michael Kay say that Mo was at the game but not having the YES cameras show him.

On balance, today’s win was about the Yankees looking like the Yankees again.

Courtesy: New York Yankees

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “A Little Bit Of Everything Today”

1. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans…

Terrific day at the Stadium …Yankees won and I was able to meet John and his family. I think I just might have met the most She-Fan bloggers. I have met Jane (our fearless leader), Melissa, Audrey, LadyJane, Eddie (YankeeCase), John, Audrey, Ruth and Nadine (a fan from Germany). If I forgot anyone …my apologies. I told John the reason I love this blog is how respectful we all are to one another unlike other blogs. It’s like reading with a coffee clutch (or tea in my case) of great yankee friends each day. We have a small community and it’s just perfect. I am hopeful that someday we can have a blog meetup for a game and a dinner afterwards. Maybe the next time Jane visits NY we can get as many of us together. I know it’s hard because of geography but stranger things have happened …right? It would be
    a blast.

As for the game today ….it did have a little of everything. I had to wait to get home and watch again to see what I missed liked Joe M. being tossed over a warning …I thought it was over balls and strikes. I also love watching the highlights of the game again too. Jane, I did see Mo on the Yes feed …actually twice.
    Maybe you stepped out of the room for a moment when they showed him. They did show him on the big
    screen at the Stadium and naturally he was met with a rousing cheer from the fans. I do miss our Mo but I’m very grateful we had Sori to step in for him. He’s done a terrific job. I believe there’s only 16 games left in the regular season. Hopefully, we will have baseball right through the end of October finishing with the Yankees 28th WS win…YAY !!!! GOOOOOOOOOOO YANKEES !!!

Two other things….

First …I came across this youtube video with Jane and her pitch for “Confessions of a She-Fan”. Made me smile and I must say, Jane, you looked fantastic.

Second…this is R-Rated so anyone sensitive to bare butts ..don’t watch … :o). Seems there a lot of getting to third base and scoring today at the Stadium off the field as there was on. I promise …it wasn’t ME !!!! hahaha

Happy Monday everyone….

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

2. Peggy says:

OOPS !!! I left Diane off my list of She Fans I met. How could I do that ??? Such a lovely lady.

Go Yankees 2012 !!

Glad you got to meet John, Peggy, and have now met so many from the blog. You’re the official meeter-and-greeter. It’s funny that you posted the link to the She-Fan book trailer because it’s been on the web site since 2009. (It’s right on the Books page.) As for the Deadspin link, my, aren’t those fans having a good time! Thanks for the complimentary words about the blog and all of us who contribute.

4. john says:

It was great to meet Peggy at the game yesterday. She is a true Yankee fan and a real nice person.

It would sure be nice to have a couple of 12-15 hit games and some 8-10 run outbursts. My fingernails are just about unreachable for biting right now.

They did show Mo on the Diamond Vision at the ball park.

Worse drive home I can ever recall. One accident on the Merrit and it backed us up for 25 miles. Good thing Yanks won.

5. Chika says:

WOW, a lot of things happened yesterday….I totally missed them all even I live in Tampa Bay area. I was blocked by MLB.tv which I was expected an entire series, but TBS that was supposed to air the game showed some lame news show instead. That happened before so I logged in this *lamer* Gameday cartoon, decided to clean the house.
    House is clean, Yankees won and it would’ve been better if Birds lost.

By the way, I took your suggestion tthe other night to read one of your books and watched your video talked about your experience as a hospital volunteer…that night I deamt of being a volunteer at a hospital and found out Matt Damon’s father was there. Matt himself was visiting everyday for him as a regular guy/son. He was very much normal guy and nobody really *notice* he’s a movie star at the hospital…such such such…….

So do I have a movie deal on this if I wrote a book about it??

L.O.L

Peggy and John, Looking good! I had spoken to Peggy about coming down for this game but life got in the way and I did not (and I apoplogize, Peggy, for never letting you know for sure on that). But gee, if I had gone I could have had a twofer and met John as well! Oh well, there’s always next year.

Fun game, frustrating game, wish the Os had lost again, everything has been said. Let’s hope, though, this really is the start of a winning streak that goes for more than two games.

Thanks for remembering me, Peggy. It was the first year at the new stadium that we met so that was some time ago already. The Yankees are playing better of late, other than giving up runs to scare us a little before we get to the 9th. I’m really looking forward to Andy coming back this week – the weather reports seem to indicate he may not get the chance to start on Tuesday as planned so it may be Wednesday instead. Anyway, with him back and with some of the recently silent bats making some noise, I think things are heading in the right direction. We are 1 up on Baltimore since they also won last night, so after a nice rest tonight our boys have to hit the ground running. GO YANKEES!!!

I do love going to the games, John, but I have to say I don’t miss the Merritt Parkway. Can’t you take the New England Thruway instead?

That was quite a dream, Chika. I hope you enjoyed “Some Nerve,” since that’s the novel you must be talking about. Sorry you couldn’t get yesterday’s game yesterday. Black-outs are really annoying.

Two+ wins in a row would be nice, Audrey. Agree.

I heard that about the weather in NY, Diane, and it would be disappointing if Andy’s big comeback were postponed. But just knowing he’s on the horizon is a lift.