Sloppy, Sloppy, Sloppy

September 11th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Oh, Yankees. Did you not care about winning tonight’s opener in Boston? Because you sure looked like you didn’t (except Jeter, as usual). You only managed six hits, never mind three runs. You kept letting a struggling Jon Lester off the hook. You were inept with men on base. Your defense (yes, you, Cano and Swisher) was less than stellar. And your relief pitching (except Joba) was horrendous; I get that Robertson had thrown a lot of pitches by the time he coughed up the game but so what?

Kuroda wasn’t bad. If the team had been hitting, which they never do when he’s on the mound, he might have gotten a win. But with the O’s beating the Rays, tonight’s loss was especially maddening.

The Yankees need to play baseball as if they mean it. And yes, this one pissed me off.

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “Sloppy, Sloppy, Sloppy”

1. Sean K says:

Jeter got the big hit [so very Captainish], and Kuroda pitched well enough that he SHOULD have gotten the win, but…

*sigh*

We’re 4-8 in our last 12 games. if we go 4-8 in our next 12 we’ll probably miss the playoffs. MUST snap out of this. i don’t know how…

“And yes, this one pissed me off.”

I am so with you, Jane. I was slamming my hand down on the table where I was working while watching. Inexcuseable. They cannot play like that in September and expect to get very far in October, if they even get there. What is wrong with this team?

I hate waking up in the middle of the night feeling contededly groggy and then remembering the Yankees just suffered another horrendous and unnecessary loss. They are giving me dark circles.

3. Ladyjane303 says:

Pissed me off, too. This is getting tiresome.

The lack of defense was much more upsetting to me than the lack of hitting, Jane. Maybe I’ve just gotten used to the lack of hitting. Anyway, none if this seems like tired players at the end of the season. The hitting has been a problem throughout the year and you could see that the defensive mistakes were mental more than physical. Either the chemistry on the team is failing or they’re just really afraid of losing (other than Jeter). I don’t know what the solution is but hopefully Girardi can find it. GO YANKEES!!!

I feel everybody’s pain and disgruntlement. I have Audrey’s dark circles too. I do think the numerous injuries and end of the season banged-up-ness have taken their toll, but I agree with Diane that the defensive mistakes seem like mental lapses – not the way a playoff caliber team should play. I don’t know how many more team meetings they need to have before they get in gear.

Haven’t weighed in for awhile because either I couldn’t, or whatever there was to say wouldn’t help. Not that this will do any good either, but thanks for the opportunity to expound…
    They seem to be staring down the abyss as a team; but then, they’ve been there before.
    Can’t blame ANY fan for being PO’d right now. You can accept being outpitched or outplayed, but it seemed like that wasn’t the case last night. And some other nites, too.
    All season long, I’ve worried that they were waay too HR-dependent, and that come the postseason, that would dry up, and they get blooped and flared to death. ESPN showed a graphic about how the Yanks have their worst BA with RISP this season in what, 20 years? Feels like 40. Pitching has been so inconsistent, who CAN they look to (other than Kuroda)? The O’s never went away, and the Rays are about where we feared they’d be. And now, to add insult to all the injuries, the gutted Bosox are rubbing salt in the wounds. Who wouldn’t be angry?
    Just hope that all this frustration leads to something positive in the last 20 games. Otherwise…

7. Ruth says:

Easy to say now, but I just knew the would lose the opener. Even still, it pisses me off. Not to sound panicy, but WHEN THE HELL IS THIS TEAM GOING TO WAKE UP???? Yes, they are injured and long-season weary, but c’mon, we’ve said it a million times – every team goes through the same. I just can’t understand how the healthy players on the team can have zero killer instinct and how almost all of them can go so cold at the same time (exceptions always apply to the great #2). Cano may be batting just over .300, but doesn’t it seem like he hasn’t done anything in the longest time? I love his defense (usually), but his ‘casual play’ is getting on my nerves. It’s so sad that I’m hoping that the return of a 40-year old pitcher from a fractured ankle can save this team…..talk about hanging on by a thin thread!! You’re right, Jane, they SOOOOO let Lester off the hook with all his walks. They should have made him pay – AND BIG – YES, ALL LOTS OF ALL CAPS FOR ME TODAY. I’m not losing sleep over this, because I think I’ve just given up. What’s the point of making the playoffs if they are just going to barely limp over the playoff finish line? Yes, lots of World Series Champions just eek in (like the Cardinals last year), but they usually do so with momentum. This team is so over. Maybe it’s better if they DON’T make the playoffs…save us all a lot of heartbreak. FRUSTRATED AND DISAPPOINTED.

8. Melissa says:

I was reading all the posts (yes, I read every day, but don’t comment too much lately) and nodding my head in agreement. Then I thought (and please read this in your best New York accent) “HEY! Wait a minute, those are MY Yankees you are talking about people!”
    Am I tired of them losing? Absolutely!
    Do I wish the bats would wake up like they did the last day in Baltimore? YES!
    But I am a FAN of this team. I’ve been watching them my entire life. I’m going to root for them and cheer them on and when they lose, they lose. I won’t be happy, but I’ll still cheer for them!
    And I’ll also be a classy NY fan and tip my hat to the Orioles, who are having a great, unexpected season.

PS I have to say it was great to watch a Boston NY game at the end of the season and not have to worry about Boston. When their fans started chanting “Yankees suck” it cracked me up. Yeah, Red Sox Nation, we have sucked our way to 27 World Series and are tied for top of the AL East. And what have your guys done this season?

9. Melissa says:

By the way, doesn’t the red sox pitching coach look like the bad guy in a James Bond movie?

Melissa, I don’t know if you meant your comment about the posts the way I’m taking it, but we’re all FANS of the Yankees on this blog, including me. We, too, root for them and cheer for them. But each fan has a different way of expressing his or her love. I and other commenters are simply being honest about our frustration and disappointment (and panic).