Finally, A Janer/Blow-out

September 9th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Not only did the Yankees give us all a break and play a nearly stress-free game, but they took back first place yet again. What’s more, they accomplished all that in enough time to let me watch the women’s singles final at the US Open.

What a weird turnaround for Granderson. One minute, he’s mired in a slump. The next, he’s coming off the bench and does nothing but knock in runs.

Another weird turnaround but in the wrong direction: Sweaty Freddy. He looked great early – very early – and then he lost it. Girardi was right to pull him fast before any real damage was done.

And speaking of turnarounds, Joba had one of his own. He’s been struggling to find some consistency and today he came in and pitched well. Good for him.

Jeter was limping. Actually, he’s been limping. But today his leg seemed even more banged up. I know. He’s Jeter. He’d keep playing even if he were wearing a prosthetic, but we don’t need more injuries. If Tex is really done for the season it’ll be awful. And while A-Rod is swinging a hot bat, he hasn’t been running well either.

But I’ll end on a happy note and say it was good to get out of Baltimore with a decisive win. I do love when they score 10+ runs. For me, pitchers’ duels and close games are just not as much fun.

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “Finally, A Janer/Blow-out”

1. Freya says:

It was truly a pleasure to watch today’s game!

Agree totally, Freya!

We went for a bike ride when the score was 6-3 but my Yankee tweets let me know that many more runs were scored while we were out so I watched the video on MLB while I made dinner. My husband thinks I’m nuts but I have been so starved for some scoring I wasn’t going to miss watching those runs pile on! So much fun!

Of course he thinks you’re nuts, Audrey. We’re all nuts!

We kept going back and forth between The Yankees game and The Jets game — both were blow outs and in favor of NY. YEAH!!! Freddy is not a starter, Jane…any pitcher that’s that good, but only for about 3 innings belongs in the pen. I was really upset about Tex re-injuring himself — it was a good try to tie up game 3 but we all know how that went. Anyway, hopefully he will be back for the post-season…we need him very badly. And Jeter? Ugh…he will never admit that he can’t play – even DH’ing him won’t help that much because of how he runs the bases when he gets on…and he almost always does.

All the turn-arounds other than Freddy are good ones. And hopefully Nova will be another one. And no matter how much others skoff at the idea, I really think we need Andy. I know he’s not a spring chicken and he hasn’t even pitched an actual game since comming off the DL, but his mental preparation for the post-season is tops of any pitcher I’ve ever seen in pinstripes. Glad they (and we) have a night off and hopefully The Sox won’t be any kind of barrier — GO YANKEES!!!

I hope we hear good news about Tex today, Diane, but even if he’s cleared to play at some point he won’t be 100% and that’s going to hurt. Jeter’s not 100% either but at least there’s no talk of an MRI. I agree about Andy. I’d trust him even without the preparation.

7. margaret says:

Oh Jane, “He’d keep playing even if he were wearing a prosthetic” made me giggle because we were talking yesterday about how he has been limping now for awhile. I told my husband I was in denial….what limp?

Denial is a beautiful thing, Peg. Keep it up. Haha.