The Laughing Lady Did The Trick Tonight

September 5th, 2012 by Jane Heller

So she’ll be in every post until the Yankees lose again.

Being back in sole possession of first place makes me breathe easier, even if it’s only by one game. Seeing the offense bounce back numerous times tonight was also heartening. Getting key hits from Russell Martin was a nice surprise. Not having to cringe when our bullpen took over from Kuroda made me do a happy dance. And having a little luck (thank you, Rays) felt good.

No, nothing is certain and there’s a long month ahead, but I liked this game. A lot.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “The Laughing Lady Did The Trick Tonight”

1. YankeeCase says:

Ok, one game, let’s make it two. Let’s head to Baltimore, put those birds in their cage, and throw the towel on top!

(Btw, was at the opening NFL game tonight and saw my Giants lose. Grrr…. The only good thing about the night was checking the Yankees’ score and seeing that Baltimore lost before my phone died.)

2. Sean K says:

Well, it’s about bloody time we had something good happen!

Now we need to make sure this winning streak doesn’t end at one. Take the momentum and springboard into the stretch run. We can start by winning our next game.

Kepp the laughing lady up, Jane. Hopefully she’ll be our lucky charm for a while.

BTW, congrats to Washington — that’s their second straight game with 6 HR’s. Talk about a power surge! Maybe we can ask them to lend us a few HR’s for some key at bats down the stretch, eh? :)

Sorry to hear about the Giants, YankeeCase. I was hoping to watch that game also but got caught up in the drama of the Yankee game and then some snarky remarks about our lost lead from my old Met-loving high school friend on Facebook. Can you imagine the nerve of a Mets fan bringing up lost leads? I told him that now I know what it is like to be him.

4. margaret says:

After we won I thought of your laughing lady and hoped you wouldn’t take her down!!

Happy for the win. Kuroda was not his usual lights out self but he got it done. I had to laugh…I was reading an interview with Girardi today and when the asked him about the offense being a little more creative to which he responded that they are not known as The Bronx Bunters. I thought that was funny.

We mostly watched The Giants loss, but we should all agree that if only one New York team could win last night it had to be The Yankees. And with The Orioles finally losing, we’re alone in first place again, even if its only by one game. This next series is going to be nervewracking but hopefully we come out on top. GO NEW YORK!!!

6. Leo says:

Watching the Giants lose did suck as the majority of my attention was on that game but the Yankees are my number 1 so if only 1 team had to win, then I’m happy it was the Yanks. 1 down, 26 more left to go. As I said yesterday, I hope everyone else is also taking RAB’s advice as looking at the remaining games left after losing their lead as a fresh start. It certainly made me feel better rather than dwell on the lost lead and we are 1-0 so far!

I love your image about the O’s, YankeeCase. It turned me into the laughing lady.

It would be great to see an actual winning streak, Sean – maybe if they start scoring a lot of runs like early in the season.

I don’t care about football, Audrey, but I was switching back and forth between the Yankees, the tennis (can’t believe Federer lost) and the DNC. It was one of those nights I wished I had five TVs in my living room.

She’ll be here if they keep winning, Peg. Not to worry.

Yeah, Girardi’s Bronx Bunters line was pretty funny, Diane. I wonder how Kevin Long felt when his new hitting approach was completely tossed out by his boss.

Taking RAB’s advice would be very sensible, Leo, but it’s hard to imagine just forgetting about what’s gone before.

9. new yawk lover says:

I was pleased with the Yankees win and the Orioles loss (but the beatdown that Tomas Berdych put on our man Federer was dismaying). More days just like yesterday would be good for the Yankee faithful. A 2 or 3 game lead after the weekend would be encouraging.

Very dismaying about Fed, NYL. He got wiped out and not for the first time by Berdych.