Our Lead Is Now Three Little Games

August 22nd, 2012 by Jane Heller

Getting swept is never fun, but getting swept on a night when your rival is celebrating a win is seriously not fun. Yes, our division lead is now down to three, following the Rays’ victory over the Royals. U.S. Cellular Field, it turned out, was a house of horror for the Yankees.

Hughes wasn’t bad at all. But the offense – and I have to keep excluding Jeter, who has been superhuman – was cringe worthy. I’d like to blame the lack of scoring on the home plate ump, who rang up Ichiro and Tex on questionable calls. No matter. The hitters just aren’t hitting. I hope tomorrow’s day off will be rejuvenating. They should all go to a spa or something.

And while they’re getting massages and mud masks, Nova will be getting examined by a doctor. Suddenly, he has a sore shoulder. Well, not “suddenly,” but after the sixth inning of last night’s game. Are pitchers made of glass? All they do is get hurt. It’s a miracle they make it through an entire season in one piece.

Getting back to our three-game lead, maybe the Yanks will go on a tear this weekend and put some distance between them and everybody else.

Or maybe the Baseball Gods just want a more exciting pennant race.

Tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “Our Lead Is Now Three Little Games”

1. Leo says:

I think tonight we all just have to tip our caps to Chris Sale. Sale stifled our offense and he’s been pitching well all year (2.65 ERA as of tonight). Hughes pitched well too and it’s unfortunate that he didn’t win as he would’ve most other nights. As you said, Jeter’s resurgence has been very fun to watch. Not too many players, if they’re lucky to reach his age at that point in their careers, will be as productive. Oh well, hope they rest up and ready to go hard and win against the Indians. There’s still time to stop the bleeding and not let the Rays get too dangerously close.

I’m happy to tip my cap to Sales, Leo, but what about Liriano last night, plus their relievers? The bats need to wake up for the next series.

3. Sean K says:

Hummmph!

I don’t know what magic Jeter is using, but he needs to share some of it with his teammates. A one-man offense just isn’t working.

At least Hughes pitched well. If he can pitch like that the rest of the year that would be wonderful.

As for Nova… I hope he can get healthy. We’ll need him down the stretch.

Let’s start getting some wins… my nerves are starting to fray…

Jeter’s got magic, all right, Sean. He’s been truly amazing.

5. SBlue says:

Jeter is still amazing but can u believe that someone from ESPN said that Jeter might be taking HGH because of his performance. That person was Skip Bayless and he’s something else. What crap! No one says that about Saint Jeter! Nobody!

Anyway, Sale is legit as well. Good stuff, although the ump is questionable.

The lead is getting smaller but I still believe we will hold on. Let’s sweep the Indians!

I am getting a little scared, Jane, but thank goodness the boys have the night off now…maybe that will help. Then C.C. comes back which is another plus. Hughes was very good – can’t complain about him at all. And Sale was amazing…when can we sign him. Anyway, let’s home we start this next series in the other direction and that Tampa stops their run right now. I heard The Orioles got trolloped so its really just The Rays we have to worry about. REST YANKEES!!!

7. dj says:

SBlue – I agree about it being total BS about Bayless saying you’d have to be sight and hearing impaired to not at least wonder if Jeet is using something. What?!? Just because Colon and Cabrera used to play for the Yankees? What crap! If you want to feel better about it, watch the ESPN video of Stephen A. Smith going off on Bayless and telling him that it is “criminal” to even mention Derek Jeter in the same sentence as Cabrera. He absolutely loses it and goes ape-shoot on Bayliss. Loved it!

What I did NOT love was the Yanks being swept by the Sox (especially since I don’t like the Sox as a Twins fan) for the first time in 20 years – 21 years since sweeping Yanks in Chi-town. I really need to hear John say “Theeeee Yankees win!” again – and soon! Let’s hope a day off (and at the spa if they are wise and listen to Ms. Jane!) can help them get turned around. Let’s Go Yankees!!

I heard about Skip Bayless’ comments last night, SBlue. Everybody on Twitter was talking about him. I guess in light of Melky and Colon (and Braun before them), the whole PED thing is back in some people’s minds. That said, what a jerk he is. I’m sure his performance looks fishy to the haters, but I just plug my ears when they talk about it.

Yeah, I was relieved that the O’s lost, Diane. At least there was that. Let’s hope today’s much-needed day off for the boys pays dividends.

Ape-shoot, DJ? LOL. That’s an interesting word. Glad you like my spa idea. Now, how can we get them to go? It’s probably too late to chip in for a gift certificate. Haha.

9. Uncle Mike says:

Skip Bayless is not a popular man. Especially on Twitter. Face it, when Stephen A. Smith, also a heavily criticized sports pundit (but I really like him), can take the moral high ground and smack you in the face with it, you’ve really hit the big time of rottenness.

I kind of like Stephen A. Smith too, Uncle Mike, although a little of him goes a long way. I’m sure Bayless isn’t the only one wondering about Jeter (just like we’ve wondered about guys like Bautista with the Jays), but it’s another thing to say it on national TV.

11. Ruth says:

Hi She-Fans: I’ve just emerged from a 5-games-in-6-days odyssey at Nats Park. I’m exhausted. I guess if I had to miss a whole Yankees series, this was the one to miss. I’m sad that our guys are tanking, but hoping they can make a huge recovery against the Indians. I think it’s irresponsible to hurl HGH accusations at Derek. He’s playing great, but not doing anything so unusual that he should be under suspicion. I’m sick of these sports talkers, as well as the political pundits (and the politicians!). They sure are lucky to get paid so much money to spew nonsense. Having said that, if Derek is ever found out to be a cheat, I will have to finally break up with baseball.

I think we’d all break up with baseball if that happened, Ruth, but it’s annoying that the clown even started the discussion and that we have to talk about it. So we won’t! Hope you recover from your adventure.

13. Kurt Smith says:

That aside, how do you like U.S. Cellular Field, Jane? :-)

Love the picture of the Baseball Gods. They had something going on in the last game of the season last year…way too many unreal things happening.

Those baseball gods can be full of mischief, Kurt. No telling what they’ll do at any given ballpark.