Uh-oh, Nova. KO’d Again.

August 21st, 2012 by Jane Heller

I’m not sorry I missed seeing Ivan Nova get hammered by Kevin Youkilis’ grand slam tonight. I didn’t see most of the game, first because I was with Friend of the Blog Audrey and her husband Larry, who drove up to Santa Barbara during their west coast trip and honored us with a visit (and brought some delicious chocolate truffles) and then because I had a dinner date at a local restaurant. So I saw highlights (or, more appropriately, low lights) when I got home. What a bummer. Thank God the Rays lost.

So. Is Nova no longer good? No longer a winner? No longer a starter we would trust in the playoffs? I’d feel better if he merely threw a couple of bad pitches tonight, but the fact is he’s been trending downward for awhile. He’s shown glimpses of his former glory but glimpses aren’t good enough in September and we’re almost there.

As for Derek Lowe, I think we’re seeing why he was dumped by the Indians. Enough said.

I loved that Jeter got us off to another early lead, but what’s going on with Cano? He’s been invisible, offensively, and we need him to be the Cano of last season.

But I don’t mean to sound so negative. The Yankees are in first place in the AL East – a very nice place to be. They’re not playing well right now, that’s all. Maybe they’re allergic to Chicago. Maybe they’re saving their talents for games against division rivals. Maybe they’re waiting for CC to come back.

Salvaging tomorrow’s finale would be very much appreciated.

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “Uh-oh, Nova. KO’d Again.”

1. Sean K says:

Ouch. To be beaten by Youkilis [didn’t that bastard do enough damage to us as a Red Sock?] and Wise [why isn’t he still on OUR roster, dagnabit?] is twisting the knife in the wound.

Jeter got us off to a great start, but the lineup went quiet after that. Hopefully our bats don’t turn cold down the stretch.

I need to quit worrying. If we win tomorrow I’ll feel better.

It’s hard not to be negative right now, Jane. This was another horrible game. The Rays lost so that’s one small positive but other than that. UGH!!! Another reason to call him “You Kill Us”. Obviously I hated him more when he wore the other sox but he officially moved up on the list last night. We did tag him out at second which was great but I would have traded that and let him be safe at second and get back the 4 runs. Even then, it would not have guaranteed a win. I’m not happy, but once again I say, GO YANKEES!!!

I thought the same thing about Wise, Sean. I really liked him when he played for us and thought he was too good to be DFA-ed, but what can you do.

As Audrey and I were saying last night, Diane, we’d be happy if the Yankees went 162-0, but that it’s easier to shrug off a loss earlier in the season than it is now. The games mean more at this time of the year.

4. John says:

Think about it, Cano has slumped and had a pain in the neck since his bud Melky got outed. Something isn’t right and there may be a link. Hope not but you gotta consider the timing.

What’s the link, John? That he’s sad about his friend or that he’s stopped taking what Melky was taking? Both don’t make sense to me. Cano has slumped throughout this season, not just lately; we waited a long time for him to get hot early on, remember?

6. Freya says:

I too wonder about Cano. I just didn’t buy the “woke up on the wrong side of the bed” story.
    I am not comfortable with our slim lead in the division. We seem too vulnerable. I guess I’m another one of those fans who wants a 162-0 record, and even so I’d still be very nervous in the playoffs.

As Jane knows, the only way I’ve been able to keep track of games when we’re driving around here is by Yankee tweets on my phone, which come pretty regularly when we’re getting hits and scoring. My phone was ominously silent last night. Not fun.

Again, Jane and Michael, it was great visiting with you!

Call me naive, Freya, but Cano’s stiff neck wasn’t a red flag to me. Posada used to get them a lot. Other players too. I wonder if we Yankee fans are the only ones who want to win 162 games? LOL. Probably.

You too, Audrey. Thanks again for making the drive up!

9. SBlue says:

I miss Wise. He was so much better than our current side guy, Andrew Jones. He’s still useless.

Jeter is still going up the ladder and won’t stop. He’s still awesome.

Lastly, I hope Hughes can last a little longer than Nova.

Wise was certainly more versatile than Jones, SBlue. And yes, Hughes needs to step it up and go longer than 5-6 innings. I don’t want to see Eppley and company mixing and matching.