Let’s Hear It For The Land Of The Rising Sun

August 19th, 2012 by Jane Heller

What a great night for Kuroda and Ichiro.

Kuroda has been a model of consistency in a rotation that’s begged for consistency. I just love the way he’s adapted to the Yankees and the American League after his somewhat shaky start. He’s so smart and such a warrior. Great, great pickup by Cashman.

I was not a fan of Ichiro and didn’t think we’d see even flashes of his former glory. I was wrong. He has indeed elevated his game since putting on the pinstripes, and tonight’s two homers were resounding evidence. I loved his curtain call after the second one.

Jeter continues to amaze. When he got that leadoff hit off Beckett, I relaxed and knew the Yanks would prevail. I’m always happy when we score first.

And then there’s Soriano, AKA “Mr. Untuck,” as we call him on Twitter.

Photo: Reuters/wsj.com

Supposedly, he untucks his shirt after a save because it means he’s finished his work for the day. All righty then. He’ll never be Mo, but I don’t want to think where we’d be without him. Great, great pickup by Hal.

As for the Red Sox, this felt like an unusual series with them. The games didn’t last forever, although Saturday’s felt that way. Beckett took his customary eternity between pitches, but even so it went faster than the old days. The biggest story in the ESPN booth was the “drama” over when Carl Crawford would have surgery. Yawn.

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Let’s Hear It For The Land Of The Rising Sun”

1. Sean K says:

Kuroda, Kuroda, Kuroda. Isn’t he just amazing?

Since I’m a West Coaster and he was with the Dodgers until this year, I got to track his career. The man can pitch. Last year his run support was criminally low. He should have sued his teammates for nonsupport. A 3.07 ERA and 16 losses? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I’ve very glad the Yankees picked him up. He’s STILL not getting MUCH support, but he only needs 3 or 4 runs. Now if the rest of the rotation can stabilize…

Anyway, always nice to end a series against Boston with a win. Let’s get another win next game!

2. Andie says:

Indeed, let’s hear it for the land of the rising sun! And all this on the same night Japan had that walk-off home run in that incredible Little League playoff game. I give those kids all the credit in the world. I think it was more exciting than the Red Sox/Yanks :)

3. Ladyjane303 says:

It did feel like an unusual series. I was at the game on Friday and, aside from the rain and the homers and the win, it was remarkable for several things: finished in just under 3 hours (I made it home by 10:30!); marked lack of Boston fans in the stands; and much less intensity than we’ve come to expect from these meetings. I’m thinking the real drama is coming up from the south, rather than down from the north.

Everything you said is exactly what I was thinking, Jane. An amazing game and wonderful input from Jeter, Kuroda, Ichiro and Soriano. A big relief, considering that Tampa and The Orioles are on winning streaks and the space between The Yankees and them is pretty small. The Yankees have to keep winning every series. GO YANKEES!!!

He would have had so many more wins with run support as a Dodger, Sean, but I’m sure the experience has only made him stronger and now the Yankees are the beneficiaries of that mental toughness. Lucky us.

I didn’t see the Little League game, Andie, but I heard it was tremendous. Great moments for Japan everywhere.

I agree, Ladyjane. I’m more worried about the O’s and Rays at this point. Don’t we play them a zillion times over the next few weeks? Ugh.

The margin is small and I hope it won’t get any smaller, Diane. Now’s the time for the Yanks to pull away.

6. YankeeCase says:

Wow, crazy night at the Stadium, Jane! I went with a bunch of family, as you already know (about 12 total), and we had such a great time! Well, all of us but the one that was a Red Sox fan, lol!

A few of them were the usual suspects I go to games with, but there were about six of them that had never been to the new Stadium. They had a great time, cheering and booing, singing along. I had told everyone that it was going to be a crazy atmosphere, with fights going on here and there, jeering, and all manner of sloppy drunkenness, especially given that we’d be all the way up in the last deck. I even went so far as to tell a few of them to keep their kids home! There was a great energy in the park, but I was surprised there wasn’t that same palpable intensity as with other Yankee-Red Sox games. And it really didn’t dawn on me until today that I didn’t really see as many Red Sox fans as I usually do. It must be because of their current standing! They’re really bold and brave enough to try and take over our Stadium when they’re higher up in the standings, wearing their jerseys so proudly, yelling their cheers they should keep in Fenway, but I guess they shy away when their team’s not doing so well… I’m glad they stayed out of our house though!

I was expecting a really long game, with the way these two teams go at it, and with Beckett on the mound. But I was surprised to see the ninth inning came so quick! I’m glad I was there for Ichiro’s home runs and his curtain call. We were right above him when he came out. Well, I should amend that statement… I was there for one home run. I missed the first one. I think I might have been buying a Philly cheese steak sandwich at the time! Grrr! (but it was so good!)

I good time had by all! Only a sweep would’ve made it better!

Sounds like a great time for you and your family, YankeeCase, even if the atmosphere wasn’t as highly charged as it’s been in the past for these games. It was definitely a quickie by Yankees-Red Sox standards, and I was grateful for that!