No Sweep Today

August 16th, 2012 by Jane Heller

It would have been unlikely to keep the Rangers’ offense in check for four games, but today’s game was winnable even with all the runs scored. I didn’t start watching until the Yankees had already tied it up, so I sat down in front of the TV thinking I might be witnessing a fun comeback.

Wrong. After the bats bailed out Nova, the bullpen gave the game away. It was not fun to see Joba, in particular, pitching like a man who can’t put hitters away. I know he’s still working his way back from the DL, but he’s so frustrating. One minute he looks like he has the stuff to get swings and misses. The next he’s nibbling. Will he ever be the kid from 2007? I don’t know.

As for Nova, I can only shrug. Yes, he was victimized by Jones’ misplay in left field, but by his own admission he’s searching for the pitcher he used to be – the one who did nothing but win ballgames. Scary.

But the Yankees won the series against a very tough team, so I’m not exactly crushed by today’s loss. As I said at the top, it was kind of inevitable.

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “No Sweep Today”

1. Sean K says:

Oh well. Can’t win ‘em all.

As long as we win enough to win the division, I’ll be good with it. Hopefully we can get Nova going again, be nice to have the “good” Nova back in time for the playoffs. As Bruce Bochy put it when he lead SF to a World Series title a couple years back, when the postseason starts it’s all decks on hand.

Nova didn’t really have an awful game – two of the first three hits he gave up were freak hits, a weak dribbler and a bloop single, but they ended up as two runs. He was brilliat getting out of that bases-loaded situation (though, of course, it would have been nicer had he not been in it in the first place) and overall he was okay but unlucky. The bullpen is another story, however. Boone Logan wasn’t exactly great either. Let’s put the Red Sox beyond hope this weekend – Go Yankees!

I couldn’t watch the game, being at work, but I followed along the play-by-play…it was so exciting that they made a comeback but too bad it didn’t last nine innings. But like you said, Jane, we won the series. 3 out of 4 ain’t bad (I like that better than the song, “2 Out of 3 Ain’t Bad”. LOL. Anyway, this next series should be even more dramatic that the usual NY-Boston series. I won’t predict, but I’m feeling pretty good. GO YANKEES!!!

It’s always nice to beat Boston, you guys, but no matter what internal troubles they have, they’re always a dangerous team with hitters that work the count (Hughes – don’t fall for it!) and turn it on when they come to town. Plus the games last for hours. Get ready.

5. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans…

I’m leaving work in a few to meet up with my Yankee Meetup Group. We are going to watch the game at Slattery’s Pub in the city. That is …if there is a game as the weather forecast isn’t too promising for tonight. I just hope I don’t get stuck in the city till the wee hours as I have my “grandson”, Yogi the Pug staying with me this weekend. He will be hungry and ready to do his thing as soon as I walk in the door tonight…so…I don’t want it to be later than it has to be. The daughter and son-in-law are going to a wedding ..guess where? BOSTON !! They can’t join me on Sunday for the game because they won’t be getting back till late so my other two seats are going to some lucky Meetup members. They are so annoyed they won’t be able to watch the games on Friday and Saturday and are hoping to be home to catch most of the game on Sunday.

I’m just hoping for some good pitching by the youngin’s ..Hughes & Phelps. I have a feeling Hiro will do his part for us. He’s definitely been a God-send. Good job on Cash getting him to sign with the team this year.
    Tex is hurting again and likely to miss a few games. As someone mentioned …weird Sox/Yanks matchups without Alex, Tex, Ortiz and Youk. I just hope our boys can bury the Sox a little deeper even though they have one foot in the grave already. I’d love a sweep but I’d take two and be happy.

GOOOOOOO YANKEES !!!

Have a great weekend everyone …

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

I’m a little worried about Tex’s wrist, Peggy. It’s been one of those injuries that doesn’t go away and he probably needs to sit for awhile. We’ll miss him. Weird, as you say, not to see the old faces in this series. Enjoy your meetup group and the game on Sunday night.