Big Game, Big Result

August 13th, 2012 by Jane Heller

No, the above pic isn’t from tonight’s series opener against the Rangers at the Stadium. I just like it a lot, and it says what I’m sure Nolan Ryan is thinking right now.

No, one game doesn’t mean anything in the larger scheme of things, but it sets a tone. And tonight’s tone was: We’re better than you.

Even with a substitute starter, even without our cleanup hitter, even with a lineup and bullpen that includes former stars past their prime, the Yankees beat the Rangers in convincing fashion.

Not that it looked good early on. In fact, I was muttering to myself during the first few innings. But Phelps regrouped and the bats exploded (Swishalicious! Ichiro! Jeter! Chavez!) and Lowe threw four shutout frames for his debut in pinstripes.

Do I think Lowe will be an asset over the long haul? Who knows. He was sweatier than Sweaty Freddy, but his sinker sunk and he said all the right things about playing in pinstripes. Can’t wait for his reception if he gets into a game against Boston.

Bottom line? The Scary Rangers aren’t invincible after all.

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Big Game, Big Result”

1. Freya says:

Yes, tonight was good. Let’s keep it up. I loved the look on Ichiro’s face when he got the triple. He looks so energized as a Yankee. I’m still in love with Chavez! Swisher is so much fun, and Jeter is just Jeter, the face of the Yankees. Phelps has so much potential and it was fun seeing Derek Lowe in pinstripes. I will be at Wednesday night’s game, and I am hoping that the momentum from tonight continues.

Lucky you, going to Wednesday’s game, Freya. Should be a good one!

3. Emma says:

Jane,
    I am happy D.Lowe had a good game. Yes, when that sinker sinks, he is unhittable. It was funny seeing him without all the facial hair. I always liked him. He was nice with my friends and I. I wish him the best. He and Billingsley sweat a lot. I have gotten two baseballs from him that he has thrown to me.
    -Emma

4. John says:

Both Phelps and Lowe were a lot easier to watch perform than Hughes. If Phelps has another quaility start vs Red Sox he should bump Hughes from rotation. Just as the Each er o is starting to fit in, Lowe could be a valuable addition. The desire to win in both could pay Yanks major dividends.

Sorry I haven’t written in such a long time — my husband’s family had their annual reunion in upstate NY and we had a blast. Speaking of blasts, congrats to Swish – what are the odds that his 200th HR would be a grand slam?! That’s the kind of win a Yankee fan likes the most…there was truly no fear of a loss after the second inning and the bats and pitchers all did their jobs. I haven’t read back, Jane, so I don’t know if you talked about Jeter becoming only the second major league player to have 17 consequitive seasons with 150 or more hits — and the other is Hank Aaron??!!!!! That’s some pretty great company if you ask me. I want at least one more win from Texas and then I want to bring out the brooms for Boston. GO YANKEES!!!

6. Sean K says:

Well, back to baseball. I see we’re still in first. This is good. We just beat the Rangers. This is good.

We have more injuries. This is not good, but as long as the key parts are healthy and in the groove by the playoffs, we’ll be fine.

It’s weird to get back to normal after being consumed night and day for 17 days by the Olympics. it’s almost like coming off of a drug.

It’s nice that you have good memories of Lowe as a Dodger, Emma. And by the way, your boys are doing really well. I expect them to duke it out with the Giants the rest of the way.

I don’t see Phelps taking Hughes’ spot, John. If they were reluctant to send Nova down, I can’t picture Hughes getting the boot. On the other hand, if Lowe continues to pitch well (big “if,” in my opinion), he could spot start.

I didn’t write about Jeter’s milestone, Diane. I did a couple of abbreviated blogs over the weekend – mostly about CC’s injury – but congrats to Jeet. Huge accomplishment.

Glad you enjoyed them, Sean.

8. new yawk lover says:

I switched on last nights game with more than a little trepidation about the state of injury affairs with our Yankees, and, the considerable offensive firepower of the Rangers. I really got a kick out of the two pickoff plays early on, and, I think they energized the Yankees players as well. I thought this an excellent strategy move by Girardi, given the aggressive base running tendencies of Ron Washington.

Then the bats took over, and turned what looked like it was going to be a long night into a fast and pleasurable one. We are down to a matter of weeks until the playoffs, no longer is it months. I like wins over other powerhouse teams in mid August. Well done, Yankees. Keep it up.

Those pickoff moves by Phelps were great, NYL, and really bailed him out.

10. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans….

I was at the game last night…fun times. Jane, the reason DLowe (as they call him) was so sweaty was that by the 7th inning it got so HUMID at the game….just unbelievably yucky. I couldn’t wait to get home and jump in the shower. I thought it was going to be a great night weather wise because it was so nice the first 5 innings or so ..then the horrible humidity hit again. I don’t mind heat but the humidity is killing me this summer. Anyway …the Yankees won so I was able to smile and bear it. Some nice pitching by Phelpsy and DLowe….another granny compliments of Swish…Chavy continuing his terrific at bats (he is really good looking too…I’m loving me some Eric)…Ichy running around those bases ala that kid Gardy…DJ proving he’s NOT old despite the numbers. It was an excellent game once we got past the first two innings. I loved it! I’ll be at the game tonight too. Here’s to Hiro doing his thing and the Yankees finally getting him a few runs for a change. It seems he’s run deprived whenever he pitches.

I can’t believe the summer is almost over and less than two months for the regular season. Thankfully as Yankee fans we always get an extended season …hopefully one that extends to a Parade down the Canyon of Heroes. I hope everyone enjoys what’s left of the summer and the baseball season…I know I will… :o).

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

P.S. I loved those pick off moves too. He must have been taking lessons from the master himself…Andy !!!

Great series for you to go too, Peggy. I hope tonight’s not as humid. (Too bad you’re not going tomorrow night or you could have a meet-up with Freya.) Have fun and bring us another W.

12. Peggy says:

No game tomorrow night, Jane. Hopefully I’ll meet up with Freya another time. I have been lucky to meet so many nice people from this blog…all thanks to you… :o). Of course, meeting you was the highlight. I will be at the game on Sunday against the Sox. Friday night I will be at a Meetup in NYC with my Yankee group for the game. Watching with my Yankee group is the next best thing to being at the Stadium. Always a good time with great people. I was very fortunate to find this group about 5 years ago and to this day I still can’t remember how it all came about ..haha. I think it was through an email about Meetup groups but I wouldn’t swear to it. I’m just happy I was able to join and meet other terrific Yankee fans to share my fandom. I’m hoping the Yankees SWEEP both the Rangers and the Sox but I’ll be happy with winning both series.

Go Yankees 2012 !!

P.S. I hope all is well on your return home. The next time you visit we have to organize a She-Fan group outing to the Stadium. You could bring Mama She-Fan too. It would be so much fun…don’t you think?

Yes, maybe my next visit won’t be as hectic and I can go to a group outing, Peggy. My mother, on the other hand, prefers to watch on TV at age 95!