The Slide Is Getting Ever More Slippery

August 7th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Remember when the Yankees had a huge lead in the division? Me too. It was bound to shrink over the course of the season, but I don’t like the way things are going right now. It’s one thing to get beaten by Verlander. Porcello is another story. He was vulnerable and yet the Yanks couldn’t break through against him. What’s more, Hughes….Well, what’s the point. He makes progress, then he regresses. I can only shrug my shoulders. I think the offense misses A-Rod. No, he wasn’t hitting with power like he used to, but he was getting on base and represented a presence in the lineup that made pitchers uncomfortable. Playing the Tigers feels like the ALDS all over again.

Fortunately, Chavez has a pulse. He’s been so terrific. He even figured into the play that actually made me laugh during that abysmal loss tonight. In case anyone missed it, go on Deadspin. I wouldn’t have laughed if Eppley had been hurt, obviously, but it was funny!

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “The Slide Is Getting Ever More Slippery”

1. Tony says:

Why are you Yankee fans so down on your team? I’m a Blue Jays fan. We have lost 3/5 of our rotation to season ending injuries and also 4/7 of our bullpen (including closer AND set-up man). Not to mention Bautista, Lawrie, Lind, and Rasmus to other injuries. You guys are still in 1st by a good margin. You have the best record in the AL. This really seems to be whining that you don’t win every game, at least to me. The Yankees are going to the WS. Ease up a little.

Every loss makes it harder and harder to be positive. And my husband said that Michael Kay has already announced that the Yankees will make the post season but will not take the first round. And that’s Michael Kay talking. Anyway, I have nothing positive to say about that game…even what looked like it might be a come from behind win in the 9th didn’t give me any hope. I’m not saying the season is over, but they have to start pitching AND hitting better. P.S. I did get a good laugh from Eppley’s head short. You can’t make this crap up. Oh well…I’m still hoping…GO YANKEES!!!

Tony, Yankee fans are spoiled in a way. We’re used to winning. We’re supposed to win. That ethos was built into our brains. What’s more, our team’s “good margin” has been cut in half in a short time. I can’t speak for everyone here, but visions of the Red Sox last year and their collapse are still with me; it can happen to any team. I agree that the Yanks will get to the playoffs but they were knocked out in the first round last year by none other than the Tigers. I do like your WS prediction though. As for the Jays, you’ve had your injuries for sure.

The best part of the Eppley clip, Diane, was Chavez’s reaction. Priceless!

4. margaret says:

I’ve been in a serious funk lately.
    Our Yanks are not helping me here.
    They have normally been my ray of sunshine during times of stress.

So yes, Tony is correct I am whining.
    I like big leads.
    I like winning. (just like Charlie Sheen)
    I also need my boys of summer to help me while down here in this funk.
    Am I asking too much of them?
    Probably…no absolutely I am.
    But for heaven’s sake boys throw me a a life jacket here!
    Winning is the best drug.

The rangers are coming up, the sox who suck, but always play better against us and then the White sox.
    This is not going to be easy peasy.
    :-(

No, the Yankees aren’t helping in the funk department, Peg. I hope they’ll come to the rescue soon.

The fact is the Yankees have had a losing record over the past month and the only reason they are where they are is because of their incredible month of June. They are losing games they should be winning and there is nothing positive about that. Right now everything except possibly defense is a question mark and Yankee fans do not deal well with uncertainty.

You’re right, Audrey. The defense has been good (hope we didn’t just jinx it).