I laughed when Girardi went out to the mound in the ninth. Supposedly, the skipper wanted to give his ace a “pep talk,” but more likely he wanted to be talked out of pulling him in favor of Soriano. CC stared him down and stayed in to finish up, and the Yankees beat the Mariners is a tidy game. Our ace was truly ace-like. In the early going, I really thought he might throw a no-hitter; he was that dominant.
Other things I loved about the win:
- Jeter’s hustle on a comebacker that resulted in a double.
- Tex’s free swinging, which suggested that his wrist is fine.
- Martin not only catching CC for the first time this season but getting his hits too.
- Chavez’s fan-aided homer.
Here’s what I didn’t love:
- Chavez’s “stiff” leg/foot/something.
Nothing against Jayson Nix and our newly acquired Casey McGehee, but Chavez has played a brilliant third base and I’d hate to lose him to an injury. Hate.
I’ll end on a happy note. The Yanks are back to winning. Yay.