The Indignity Of It All

July 22nd, 2012 by Jane Heller

I really thought the Yankees had this one. CC was pitching well and A-Rod and Granderson had big hits and we were ahead for a change. But the longer the game went on -  it felt like it lasted 1,000 hours – and the longer the boys went without scoring any insurance runs, I had the sense that doom was coming. And it did.

Soriano’s been great, so I don’t blame him for blowing the save. But Joe’s dependence on the binder really annoyed me. Phelps was doing fine. Why pull him? And Eppley again? Seriously?

Yes, the A’s are a hot team right now, but this series was not well played by the Yanks. It wasn’t. They still lead the East, but to be swept in a four-game series for the first time….Well, let’s just say the once-comfortable lead sure got smaller over the weekend.

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “The Indignity Of It All”

1. YankeeCase says:

This suuuuucks…! With the A’s being as hot as they were, I believed this series was going to go down in one of two ways: either we win the series convincingly, or we lose the series convincingly. It seems to happen every time the Yankees go up against a hot team.

I had a bad feeling when we couldn’t score in the seventh, and then again in the ninth after Granderson’s walk. And then once they couldn’t score with two men on in the 12th, I knew the end was coming soon…

I never like seeing the Yankees visiting Oakland. There’s always something bland of ‘meh’ about being out there. Maybe the Yankees were lulled into a hypnotic state, with their lack of run scoring in this series. Just goes to show what they say about the home run ball. This is the kind of stuff we don’t want to see come playoff time against better pitching. If we get there that is…

2. Sean K says:

Ouch. I’m very glad I had the weekend TV and internet-free. I would have been tearing out my hair.

Hopefully we’ll get it together for the next series…

3. Barbara says:

Ouch is right. This is like in the beginning of the year when we couldn’t score. I too thought leave in phelps for the duration. Runner on 2nd with no outs and don’t score makes me crazy. And I had been looking forward to watching the game.8tvu

I felt the opposite about going to Oakland, YankeeCase, because the Yankees usually win there, in the regular season anyway. So despite the fact the this A’s team was hot, I didn’t see the awfulness coming. But I agree about the long ball. This was an example of not being able to score without it in critical situations.

Definitely, Sean.

Phelps was so good, Barbara, with three straight strikeouts at the end. Sometimes Joe’s lefty-righty matchups get a little much and he should just go with the guy who’s doing well. But at least Phelps can pitch again soon, if need be, since he wasn’t in that long.

That was horrible, Jane. I don’t think we’ve been swept in a 4-game series in years. And each by just one run. I understood and almost expected to lose the first 3 because we were facing rookie starters but I was sure we’d beat Colon. Okay, yeah, we did beat him and went 12 innings to get the loss, but overall I was sure we’d take the last game. I didn’t get to see much of these games because of the time the night games started and we had guests yesterday, but we stayed connected to check the score and it hurt a lot. I understand what you are saying about Joe’s lefty-righty matchups, but if he hadn’t made the change and we’d lost we’d be questioning his decisions anyway. But now we get to move on to Seattle and hopefully start a new series of wins. GO YANKEES!!! PLEEEEEEEEZ!!!

Yes, hindsight is 20/20 when it comes to a manager’s decisions, Diane. But there are times when Joe over-manages, imo. Last night was one of them. I did love Robertson’s appearance though. He looks like he’s getting back to his old swing-and-miss self.

Hello, Misery. Care for some more company?

I think I’ve seen enuf baseball “firsts” for awhile. ESPN said it was the first time since 1913 that the A’s swept the Yanks at home — and that home then was PHILADELPHIA. Think they also said that it’s the first time a Yanks team has EVER been swept in a 4-game series, every game by one run. It gave me dreadful memories of 1963 and the first WS when the Yanks were ever swept…by the Dodgers…it still hurts…

This was what I pondered after seeing the Nats make an Epic 1-Game Choke on Friday…leading a game 9-0 in the SIXTH and they LOST. Greatest comeback for the Braves since 1876, i.e. in their history. It’s amazing to me that I have a team left to root for, and not two trash bags full of shattered egos.

Other unbelievable things happened, like the Cubs being tied 0-0 in the 7th, then giving up TWELVE RUNS to the Cards in ONE INNING. And SF Giants pitcher Matt Cain hit a HR off Cole Hamels — then in the bottom of the same inning, Hamels hit a HR off of Cain! Is Haley’s Comet coming? Or an asteroid?? How about a total eclipse??? Oh yeah, that’s right, the Mayans say the world will end on 12/21/12 — so, maybe we need to get this out of our systems now — suck it up, settle back, and play on…

8. SBlue says:

This sucks but at least I’m glad that the games were very close and not complete blowouts. I hope that the bullpen improves a bit more cause seeing Eppley fail at the end of the game again is getting annoying. Just a thought but I’m starting to think that A-Rod should definitely play DH for the rest of the season and leave Chavez on third. It just works. Anyway let’s vent our angry and frustration out on the poor and defenseless Mariners. lol…

9. Melissa says:

Let’s hope they can leave the hitless bats in Oakland. Our pitchers gave up some runs, but really – it was the hitting that was the problem. Great thing about baseball – each series is a new beginning!!
    Dave, I was going to write and mention all those crazy happenings in baseball. Sorry about your Nats.

Time to start winning. They are still 6 up on Baltimore.

I don’t know about the comet, Dave, but Mercury is in retrograde until August 8th and for those like me who believe in astrology, it’s always a crazy time.

Chavez is great at third, SBlue, and I like A-Rod DH-ing, but Chavez can’t withstand the rigors of being an everyday player at this stage of his career. Too injury prone.

Agree, Melissa. No better time to resume winning than tonight.

13. Melissa says:

At least the yanks don’t have to feel alone in their misery. According to MLB, there were 8, yes 8, series sweeps wins yesterday! That is pretty amazing.
    I just wish the Yankees were the sweepers instead of the sweepees.

14. YankeeCase says:

Wow! Did everyone hear about the Yankee trade?! They just got Ichiro for two prospects, including DJ Mitchell! Way to fix the outfield issue! This reminds me of when they went out and got Pudge after Posada got injured halfway through 2008…

15. Melissa says:

Holy cow! Thanks for the heads up yankeecase!
    Ichiro has more hits and a better average than any current Yankee outfielder. (not sure about andraoul jobanez).
    He has always been so exciting to watch.
    Now y’all will have to read the book “the meaning of ichiro.”

16. Melissa says:

Oh the stats I mentioned above are for this season.

17. Freya says:

Well what a surprise! I Just heard the news on the radio about Ichiro. Actually I was in my car listening to the Mets game (because it’s too early for the Yankees) and they were talking about it. I wonder if that means that Swisher is really hurt and not just day to day.

18. YankeeCase says:

Well the Yankees said they’ll likely sit Swisher out for this series, and this was before the trade. But we all know we’ll see him in RF soon enough.

What gets me are all the so-called ‘experts’ outside of YES (MLB Netword, ESPN) who wonder what this means for Swisher going forward and how he’ll likely get moved to DH and get limited play time, and how Ichiro will look in Yankee Stadium’s RF. And then there’s the talk of how Jeter will react to being moved from the leadoff spot. Obviously we all know Swisher isn’t going anywhere (we’ll see what happens when he becomes a free agent after the season though). And we all know Jeter won’t take it as a slight against him if he moves to second in the order. He hit there most of his career anyway! (I think Ichiro probably will end up hitting second or even ninth anyway.)

We, who watch or listen to every Yankee game, know that LF has been a platoon that we were just dealing with until Gardner would’ve come back. Now that it looks like he’s probably done for the season, LF became a concern. And you definitely want someone a bit speedier in left in Yankee Stadium. Ichiro will definitely help in that regard as well as slapping the ball around and adding speed on the basepaths. He’ll be starting in RF in Safeco tonight, and it makes sense since that’s where he’s been playing there the last few years in that park anyway. But once they get back to the Bronx, I’m sure we’re going to see plenty of him in left field, and probably closer to the top of the lineup.

This should be good pick up! I can’t wait to see him in pinstripes against Boston this weekend!!

19. YankeeCase says:

Now if only Felix Hernandez would stop blocking us from trading for him…. lol

20. Sean K says:

Is Ichiro still any good? I know his main asset is speed, but it seems like he’s getting up in years.

Well, all we need is for him to be good for the rest of the season, so I think he’s got enough juice left in his legs for that. And at least we did something.

I just hope this doesn’t become Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz.

Sorry about the grumpy mood, but 4 game sweeps, when we’re the team getting swept, do that to me. After we win a game I’ll be happier.

I’m with Sean on his first question, everybody. I was utterly baffled by this trade when I heard about it this afternoon. Yes, we didn’t give up any big prospects and got cash in return, but Ichiro? He’ll be 39 soon, is waaay past his prime and is not a good guy in the clubhouse (read: drama queen). Will he be motivated playing for a championship caliber team after toiling away with the Mariners? Probably. Does he still have a good arm? Yes. But I didn’t think we needed another aging player with baggage and I liked Dewayne Wise.

22. Melissa says:

I also liked Dewayne Wise and am sad he had to go.
    Ichiro is older, but at 39 is still better than many other players. He has more hits and a higher average than Swisher or Granderson.
    I think it’s a good fit for the rest of the season until Gardner comes back.
    As for the other points, he is going to play left, not right, so Swisher won’t be affected and Girardi wants him in the bottom of the order, so Jeter will still lead off.
    As for the drama queen aspect, let’s see how he does in NY. The best way to extinguish non-desirable behavior is not to reward it – as in don’t pay attention. He’s with the big boys now and though the NY media is all over stuff, there is a different big name player each day in NY for them to pay attention to.
    I’m going to sit back and enjoy the ride!