New Strategy For Opposing Teams

July 20th, 2012 by Jane Heller

They should just throw a Little Leaguer out there. Seriously, the Yankees have so much trouble with pitchers they’ve never seen before, and last night was no exception. I’m glad I didn’t stay up to watch.

All our division rivals won their games yesterday, so it was annoying to lose ours – and to the A’s. Grrr.

I did watch long enough to see Sweaty Freddy give up a bomb to the Cuban Phenon, Cespedes, but while Garcia wasn’t great (and Phelps was, in relief), it was the offense that couldn’t get much going.

And then there’s Gardner’s surgery. I can’t say I’m surprised that he’ll be going under the knife, but why all the time wasted? He could have had it when he was first injured and been back with the team by now.

All that said, baseball doesn’t mean much when you wake up to the news in Colorado. A mass shooting. At a multiplex showing the new “Batman.” By a guy with an AK-something and God-knows-what-else. I won’t start in about gun control and how easy it is for these nuts to keep getting their young hands on assault weapons, but what a sad and all-too-familiar story.

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “New Strategy For Opposing Teams”

I went to sleep when it was 4 0 — surprised to find that they almost came back in the 9th but still lost by one run. I think part of the problem was how easily they beat Toronto — they were probably too relaxed. I think we face another rookie tonight so hopefully this is not a repeat of last night’s game.

Terrible news from Colorado, Jane. So upsetting. Last I heard, 15 dead and over 50 injured…and some of them were small children. I don’t know why anyone would take a small child to a midnight showing of this type of movie, but they still did not deserve to be hurt in such a fashion. Whenever I hear a story like this, it reminds me how much people who have never been to New York are frightened by the thought of coming here, when these kinds of events almost always take place far from NY. Anyway, let’s all hope for at least one NY victory in San Fran…GO YANKEES!!!

…I mean Oakland, not San Fran…OOPS!!!

I don’t think relaxation was the problem, Diane. I think they just get stymied by new pitchers. I heard 12 dead, not 15, but the toll could certainly mount.

Unfortunate. Agree with Jane completely…at this point, either of my sons could pitch against the Yankees and probably get the entire lineup out in order at least once. Frustrating…

Ominous 2. Saw a blurb on ESPN showing that the A’s are THE hottest team in baseball this month, with something like an 11-2 record, and an ERA of under 2.40 or something. Not good…

Awful 3. Too many old friends in/near Denver, so this is very troubling. One survivor described the maniac as wearing riot gear. Wonder if he was darkly inspired by the Batman theme(s). Also, the dark side of this internet toy we enjoy every day; it feeds the frenzy of alienated loners who always find websites (or make their own) to support their sick side. We become Eloi to satisfy the angry killing hunger of these Morlocks. Nothing more to say…hope to focus on baseball…

5. barbara says:

i checked the score in the middle of the night and i wasn’t surprised but i wasn’t happy. we can’t beat pitchers we don’t know but often beat the pitchers i think we have no chance against.
    i too kept thinking gardner was going to be like x. nady, need surgery, and thought he should have got it done but what do i know, i’m not a doctor i’m just irritated and waiting for sunday when i can next watch a game.

6. Sean K says:

The result of the game seems a lot less important after everything else that happened…

Re Gardner, I hope the surgery is successful and he’s back to 100% next year.

Re the other incident: There are always going to be a few nutcases out there. I feel very sorry for the families of the shooting victims. I also hope that for the next 50 years, the shooter has a 6 foot 10, 300 pound cell mate who thinks he has a cute butt.

Not a good omen that the A’s have been on such a hot streak, Dave. I haven’t been following them. On the other hand, the Yanks have been on a hot streak too, so we’ll see what tonight brings.

What’s weird about Gardner’s surgery for me, Barbara, is not only didn’t they do it earlier or figure it out earlier, but since when do they do surgery for “inflamed tissue?” Is it muscle? Tendons? Just an odd diagnosis. Of course, I’m not a doctor either so what do I know?

I think the shooter’s sentence will be way longer than 50 years, Sean, if that provides any comfort.

8. Sean K says:

I was thinking that’s how long he’ll live in prison before dying, actually.

Anyway, back to baseball… hopefully everyone can refocus and we get the next game. Although I have to admit we’ve got enough cushion we can absorb a little mini-slump without trouble.

9. John says:

Are there any Bay Area Yankee fans who want to go to tonight’s game? I have an extra ticket.

10. yankeefansince1941 says:

Is it possible that the troops were just suffering from jet lag? I know that when I travel from East to West it takes me a day or two to catch up. I’m just sayin’.

As for that nut case in Colorado, that is all I can say…he is a nut case and should be in a hospital for the criminally insane.