What A Bench!

July 17th, 2012 by Jane Heller

One night it’s Ibanez who’s the hero. Another night it’s Chavez. Tonight it was Jones, Nix and even Stewart (we can count him, can’t we?). All the role players are more than playing their roles; they’re exceeding expectations.

For me, though, it was CC who starred in tonight’s win over the hapless Blue Jays. To come back from the DL and pitch as crisply and efficiently as he did was a thrill. I appreciate that Girardi had him on a pitch count, but I bet he could have thrown a complete game – easily.

I have to say that the Jays looked every bit like the last place team they are. Cecil pitched extremely well, but they have no real offense without Bautista and their defense was lackluster at best. Still, it’s teams like the Jays – division rivals we’ll be facing a zillion more times – that the Yanks have to beat. Over and over.

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “What A Bench!”

1. Sean K says:

Keep the wins coming… and yes it is nice to get contributions from unexpected sources…

My one nagging worry is that we might peak too soon. I don’t want to see us flop in October like Boston flopped last September after they were on a really nice [81-42] run. But I suppose if that’s the biggest worry i have we must be doing well. i’ll try to look at the bright side.

2. YankeeCase says:

Good outing for CC tonight, even if it was only 6 innings! It was almost too good… As if the DL stint was a ‘mini vacation’ scheduled during the All Star break to give CC a blow and not miss a full two weeks of starts. Or maybe my conspiracy theories have gone too far this time? lol! I want to see CC finish strong this year, so whatever helps…

I’d really like to see the Yankees get an outfielder who can slap the ball around and swipe a few bags, but this Jones/Ibañez duo has been pretty solid so far. They’re not playing exceptional defense out there, but it’s definitely not a hindrance to the team. And oh yeah, the pop they add to the lineup is pretty good too!

Speaking of defense, we haven’t heard from Eduardo Nuñez in a while. He’s hitting only .231 down in AAA (he’s only played four games), and he’s committed two errors (ack! in four games…!). Something tells me we won’t be seeing much of him at all for the rest of the season. This, the guy the Yankees wouldn’t part with in a few trades a couple seasons ago. Do we keep him around, or let him go (like the Knicks did with Lin tonight? Grrr, don’t get me started…)

3. Barbara says:

It felt relaxing and fun even though the lead wasn’t big. We should not have had to use soriano. I think qualls is about as good as wade or you or I, but I don’t mean to complain. We are all quite lucky in Yankee land! I love looking at the standings each morning.

I worry about them peaking early too, Sean. It’s the team that’s hot at the end that runs away with the championship. But I’m sure they’ll have their dips before it’s over and, hopefully, finish strong. There’s nothing more scary than the thought of them going cold in the postseason.

I heard Nunez’s name being thrown around in recent trade talks for an outfielder, YankeeCase, and I must admit I wouldn’t be sorry to see him go. Better him than one of our pitching prospects. I do think we need a Victorino or Upton or one of these expendables.

I’m with you on Qualls, Barbara. We can’t use Soriano every night; it’s ridiculous. And you’re right – it did feel like a bigger lead at 3-0 because CC was pitching so dominantly.

Once again we missed the Yankees game – we went to a Long Island Duck’s baseball game instead. They lost dismally but we kept track of the Yankees and were happy to hear about the win. My niece and her boyfriend really enjoyed the game and they brought a nephew who caught a foul ball — it was his first Yankees game too. Lots of fun.

I too am in awe over what the bench has been able to do for us and the rest it has given our starting players. I do think we need to rest Granderson though – its a long season and I think he has played every game so far. Hoping to keep the streak going tonight. GO YANKEES!!!

So cool that your niece and her boyfriend saw a win and enjoyed themselves, Diane – and catching a foul ball must have been exciting. I think Granderson missed one game all year – or maybe he was DH-ing? In any case, he’s got to be tired and it wouldn’t be the worst thing if Wise played center for a game or two.

‘Twas another fine night. Scoreboard-watching from sweltering Nats Park, we saw the Yanks post an early three-spot, just build from there, and no biggie. And what a Great Debut for Diane’s family! Congrats!!

Down in the swampy bog of D.C., where we never stopped “schvitzing” (it had to be 95 with about 70% humidity), at least they treated us to a great night of entertainment. Blew it in the top of the 9th, tied it in the bottom (with two outs); blew it again in the top of the 10th, pulled it out thanx to 3 rookies in the bottom. Okay, so it’s only “Clown Question Bro” and his merry band of National-leaguers, but we like it.

After a short rain delay the first inning just ended and we’re already ahead 4 – 0!!!

9. Melissa says:

Here’s the important question
    Does jayson nix ever smile? He seems wound pretty tight.

Come to think of it, Melissa, I’ve never seen him smile!