Here’s What I Loved About Today’s Game

July 14th, 2012 by Jane Heller

In no particular order:

• Today’s heroes were different than yesterday’s heroes.
  • Robinson Cano is hitting with runners in scoring position.
  • Curtis Granderson is a home run masher, no matter what he says.
  • Sweaty Freddy sweat a lot, but he gave us more innings than I expected – again.
  • Cody Eppley isn’t a fluke.
  • Rafael Soriano has more than proven his worth to the Yankees (thank you, Hal).
  • We beat the Angels, one of my favorite teams to beat.
  • Nobody got hurt.
  • The laughing lady deserves to laugh..

Tags: , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Here’s What I Loved About Today’s Game”

1. Sean K says:

We’re off to a good second-half start. Now let’s win the next one and keep it going!

One game at a time… I’ll try not to get too excited. But I will say this team looks really well constructed. I can’t help thinking we’re set to do really well this year.

Another fun game that further strengthened my faith is this team as one that can get the job done no matter what. I will confess to being nervous about tomorrow’s game, though – the Angels have to be quite frustrated with these losses, Weaver is pitching, and Pujois, who has not really been a factor in the last couple of games, could become one at any moment. I hope Nova can maintain the poise he has shown before in tough situations. I hope the Yankees can face a dominating pitcher and dominate right back, as they have already many times this season. I really hope what will probably be my family’s only game at the stadium this year will be one for the win column!

3. Melissa says:

Good list. Today’s game was enjoyable, as was last night’s.

I was thinking about the home runs this year and decided to adjust my attitude. When we had the year with all the walk offs, I never thought “I wish we didn’t have so many walk offs,” I just enjoyed it. And they led to good things.
    So I am not going to worry about runners in scoring position anymore. I’m going to relax and enjoy “the year of home runs.” The Yankees are “the Bronx Bombers” not the Bronx Bunters. And as you mentioned, it’s not just one person who is hitting the bombs, today’s heroes are not the same as yesterdays.

PS about yesterday – Mark Texiera’s swing for both his home runs was a thing of beauty. Level and smooth as silk!

I agree, Sean. The team is better constructed than I thought. I still can’t believe we’re not only getting by with guys like Ibanez and Jones playing the outfield and Garcia and Eppley pitching, but doing so well.

Weaver should be tough, Audrey, and Pujols is always a threat. But I hope you’ll see a great game with your family and that you’ll have fun no matter what happens on the field. You did bring them good luck last year. Or was that me? Haha.

I’ve decided the same thing, Melissa – to just relax and enjoy the homers, although I wish A-Rod would hit more of them. The only thing that worries me about them is the postseason; it’s not as easy to hit them against the game’s elite pitchers. As for Tex’s swing, that second homer especially was beautiful – so smooth and yet so powerful!

Real quickly, before we take off for the train station – I understand your concern about homers and elite pitchers, Jane, but I’ve been noticing this year that our homers are coming off the elite pitchers! Dickey, Verlander, Santana – we’re hitting them all! So I think we can relax a little and enjoy.

Here’s hoping for more homers off an elite pitcher today! And don’t worry, Jane, we’ll have fun no matter what – there’s nothing like being at the stadium. I’m going to go pack my lucky helmet cup right now:)

I’m sure you’re on the train by now, Audrey, but I’m glad you’re thinking so positively about Weaver and how we’ll hit lots of homers against him (okay, maybe not “lots” but just enough).