Was That Game The Pits Or What?

June 30th, 2012 by Jane Heller

I wasn’t going to post this weekend, but my plane ended up landing just as the game was starting. Considerate of the pilot, wasn’t it?

Warren got bombed and Phelps wasn’t much better, but Cory Wade – I hate to keep harping on him because he’s probably a nice guy – just stinks. Yes, he was good last year and early this year, but he’s not good anymore and we need to bid him a fond farewell.

Dewayne Wise. LOL. His outing didn’t have the outright campiness of Nick Swisher’s pitching performance – the fact that Swisher’s was at the Trop gave it more levity – but he was great just the same. I’m starting to love Wise and hope he hangs around all season.

All kidding aside though, I wish we had a kid in AAA who could throw 98 mph, come to the majors right now and become the next great hope. We need somebody.

Yes, it’s hot in NY but fortunately I like the heat!

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Was That Game The Pits Or What?”

1. Melissa says:

That was not pretty at all! Wise looked very serios when he was pitching.
    Glad you made it here okay. Tell your mama we say hi!

Hugs to Mama Shefan – enjoy our visit, Jane. We had company last night and could not watch or listen to the game. At one point I was alone inthe kitchen and heard Chicago go up 5-4. Didn’t have a good feeling about an of it so did not even check the score until this morning – ouch!

I will, Melissa! Hopefully, I’ll post a video of her during the trip.

I’ll give her your hugs, Audrey. And no, we didn’t have a good feeling about that game either!

4. Sean K says:

I think Wise should take Wade’s spot in the bullpen.

Hopefully the pitching won’t be so disgraceful next game. We scored seven runs and got BLOWN OUT. That’s unnacceptable.

5. YankeeCase says:

Hey, better game today as we return to ‘normalcy’. Kuroda has been sharp the last month or so. Hopefully we get a split in this series with Old Timer’s Day tomorrow. I was so disgusted with Thursday’s loss I didn’t even jot down the score on my schedule until today’s win…

I think we should make Wise the cleanup hitter after today, Sean. He was great.

Much better game today, YankeeCase. I was so impressed with Kuroda. The White Sox can hit and he handled them with ease.

8. John says:

Hot, hot, hot Old timers Day yesterday. Saw a 100 degree thermo reading. We were in the shade but still stifling.

Parked next to Joe Pepitone. He is a piece of work. Walked from the garage with Willie Randolph. He took pictures with us. Joe Torre got out of SUV near us as well. Strawberry and Pinella and John Smoltz also came by us.

Hughes fought off bad 1st inning to pitch a real nice game. I wasn’t excited when I saw he was starter yesterday but he really surprised me. Cano is amazing. Soriano’s shirt pulling act is not necessary but as long as he is doing his job it appears it will be tolerated.

Thanks for the OTD report, John. Hughes really did seem to make adjustments after his early shakiness, which was great to see for the long term. I agree about Soriano’s shirt thing. It’s weird and probably pisses off the opposing teams, but as long as he keeps getting saves it’s OK with me.

10. Ruth says:

I agree about Soriano….it’s great if he gets the saves, but I don’t like his little routine….it definitely won’t go over well with other teams, and it’s just not in line with classy Yankee behavior.

It’s definitely un-Mo-like, Ruth. But if looking forward to pulling out his shirt tails is incentive for him to get saves, let him do it.

Thanx once again for all your updates. I’m glad Jane enjoys the murderously stifling heat…
    Not too enjoyable for mid-Atlantic residents. We lost power at 10:30pm last Friday nite when this THING called a — what — “derecho?” (!my espanol not good!) — which means “straight line,” of unbelievably powerful storms ripped into the entire area and tore down trees and powerlines. Golf fans may have noted that it was SO bad, they allowed NO spectators all day Saturday at the big PGA tourney about 5 miles from my house (waay too many downed trees and powerlines clogging the access roads), while we all suffered miserably in 100-degree weather, more humid than a sauna, no relief whatsoever above basement level.

On Sunday — after evacuating as much of our fridges and freezers as possible, and cooking all the fish & chicken we possibly could on an outdoor grill (nothing like standing in the sun on a 97-degree day in front of a blazing grill, esp. when you’re an old fat guy, sweating rivers, even your underwear soaking wet) — we got home to find power blessedly restored, but no phones, no TV, no internet (Comcast still down). Oh, was there baseball this weekend? That’s nice. So they split; not so nice, but okay with a 6-game lead. Enjoy that heat, everybody, and may you be much less miserable…

Sorry about your storm difficulties, Dave. I remember all too well when I was here in CT last summer and the hurricane forced us to evacuate for days without any restoration of water or utilities. Not fun. Glad your power came back on.

The weather is much better today, a bit lower temperatures and much lower humidity — probably won’t last long though. Anyway, hope you’re enjoying your stay in NY, Jane. I was at The Today Show on Friday to see Maroon 5 perform — we had passes so we were right there — we had to go into the city ridiculously early and there was a terrible thunderstorm about an hour and a half before the show but all it all it was a glorious day. And the Yankees did a good job on the second half of the four-game series – that’s fine with me. All that Wise has been doing lately has been great. Now we have to face Tampa and Boston before the break — hopefully this will work out well. And what does everyone think of us buying a relief pitcher from The Phillies??? I don’t know much about him but I think he was they guy they went to before Papelbon closes. We’ll see what happens. GO YANKEES!!!

The weather is gorgeous today, Diane. I’ve got the windows open with cool breezes blowing in. Love it. How fun that you went to the Today show for the concert. As for our new reliever, I don’t know what to think. The Phillies aren’t doing very well, so how good could he be? I guess Cashman was looking for guys with proven major league experience instead of just relying on the kids.

16. Lynne says:

I am somewhat familiar with Chad Qualls from his time in Arizona. He was their closer for a short while. He could barely close a door let alone a ball game. He was part of a bullpen with an ERA of 13+. I hope the Phillies cashed the check quickly because the Yankees are going to want their money back pretty quick.

Oh, Lynne. That scouting report does not bode well! Maybe he’ll discover he likes wearing pinstripes and pitch accordingly. We shall see.