That Was Tense

June 9th, 2012 by Jane Heller

When Soriano allowed the tying run to come to the plate in the ninth, I was choking down my dinner. But ultimately, he and the rest of the pen (kudos, Clay Rapada) made it all better.

Another great performance by Hughes. Yes, he gave up the obligatory homer and I wish he’d be able to go deeper in to games, but you can’t have everything. If he can keep up the good work, our rotation really will be solidified.

Early on, I thought the offense would flame out yet again with the bases loaded; Ibanez hitting into the DP was groan-worthy. But this Yankees team is all or nothing when it comes to offense. We either hit the long ball or strand runners. In tonight’s victory it was Tex who smacked one and Granderson who emerged from his slump to give us insurance.

I couldn’t believe when Tex got hit in the foot with the pitch. It felt like Kuroda all over again. But he seemed OK.

The player who’s not OK is Gardner. He’s got a date with this guy.

After all this, he’s still got elbow pain? Not good. And Ibanez and Jones aren’t spring chickens and shouldn’t be our everyday corner outfielders. I do like Wise, but he’s not much in the bat department. Should Cashman make a trade if Gardner ends up being out for the season? Unless we have someone hiding in the minors, I’m thinking he has to.

One final note. I was blacked out by FOX, of course, so I watched the video on FOX’s Spanish channel, which always carries Yankees games, and listened to the action on WCBS. Sterling was in rare form. He not only referred to Duda as “Doodoo,” but said when Girardi was trotting out to get Hughes, “Here comes Joe Torre.” It was entertaining, if confusing.

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “That Was Tense”

1. john says:

Packing today for a pilgramage to Maine.

There is nothing better than to attack Red Sox fans execpt when they are down. Its soooo much more fun then!

I have been very busy lately but I have found a bit of time the past few days (quick games lately help) to hone up on my routine. I have some new material to use which the Sox have seemingly willingly provided me. This vacation should prove rejuvinating in many ways.

If anyone has any “stuff’ for me to use please share. I will give you credit in the post slaughter summary.

Oh by the way Yankees it would be nice if you continue to win while I’m up there in the wilds.

Sending all my love to Tex and Grandy. If we have to live by the homerun then at least we have the right guys in place to make life liveable.

Another series clinched and the possibility of the broom coming out today. The Mets have certainly been in a slide so it was a lousy time for them to meet their New York rivals. Fortuantely for my Mets fan friends, I am not inclined to kick them when they are down. I actually hope they get their act together and make it to the playoffs. I haven’t felt the intensity of the Yankees-Mets rivalry since I moved to New England and found out what a really bitter rivalry feels like and how really nasty rival fans behave.

Have fun up in Maine, John – I do understand the satisfaction in tweaking the obnoxious fans from the Red Sox Nation (which appears to be headed the way of Greece at the moment). And though I commiserate with my Sox fan friends while they despair, in my heart and mind I am less sympathetic. Unfortuantely, as a group they have not earned my compassion.

3. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans …

I’m off to the game today ..SWEEP, SWEEP, SWEEP !!! I am getting to see Andy pitch two times in a week ..how lucky am I? I just love me some Andy Pettitte.. :o). I’ve got my Pettitte shirt on and ready to go. It’s a beautiful day for a ballgame and a SWEEP !!!

Everyone have a great rest of the weekend …GOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANDY !!! GOOOOOOOOOOO YANKEES !!!

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

Have fun, John, and try to behave!

I never think ahead to a sweep, Audrey, (too superstitious), so I’ll just hope for a well pitched game from Andy and a victory – with nobody getting injured.

Enjoy the game, Peggy. I wish I could be joining you, but I know you’ll represent well as you always do.

5. Barbara says:

Ok. I don’t believe in attacking red sox fans any more. Mostly because I live with sox fans and I don’t want them teasing me. I can’t handle it. Also I am trying to teach kids to love who they love and let me love who I love. I am trying not to spend my time hating. It is a new way of rooting for me. Also I hear how obnoxious yankee fans are and I don’t want to contribute to it. I think it could just me getting old. It’s kept my co workers from annoying me.
    Other thoughts –I was so nervous last night. After saying we don’t have a lot of save situations there was one nerve wracking one.
    Ia, worried about gardner. I was thinking abou xavier Nady and his arm injury that led to surgery. I hope its not that.
    Peggy, you are lucky. Enjoy for all of us who wish we were with you

I agree about the hating, Barbara. And I have no more love for obnoxious Yankee fans than I have for obnoxious fans of other teams. Good natured ribbing, on the other hand, is fine with me. I thought about Nady the other day. I really hope Gardner doesn’t find himself in that situation.

7. Freya says:

Well said Barbara. I agree with you.