Why Did Andy Retire Again?

June 5th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Tonight’s win over the Rays wasn’t just vintage Pettitte. It was Hall of Fame Pettitte. He was extraordinary over his seven-plus innings with those ten strikeouts and efficient pitching. He was so good that when Russell Martin hit the grand slam, I didn’t doubt for a second that the “W” belonged to the Yankees.

Of course the Rays’ miscues helped my confidence. Weren’t they supposed to be like the Angels – i.e. all about pitching and defense? Not that I could see. Shields was mediocre and the infielders were sloppy. Not the first place team I was expecting.

Tomorrow’s another game and Nova hasn’t been inspiring, so things could reverse themselves in a hurry. But for now, I’m going to enjoy my evening. I went to the farmers market this afternoon and bought some of these for dinner.

Photo: www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/Laurel’s Heirloom Tomato Plants

Heirloom tomatoes. Yum. And the best news is that I only wanted to eat them instead of throw them at the TV in frustration.

Tags: , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Why Did Andy Retire Again?”

1. Sean K says:

One word:

Awesome.

Glad Andy’s back! Hope he keeps it going.

2. Becky says:

Greetings Jane and fellow fans!

It’s been a long time, but here I am. I finally got to watch an Andy game, and last night was just FROSTING!

I had goosebumps watching him in true Andy fashion. When he got that 10 K, I was so pumped. Him too.

So happy he’s back. And, I’d love to see him on the All-Star team. Or, even better, Cy Young this year?

Really hoping to see him pitch in person this year. Would love to meet up with some fans at a few games too.

Sorry for the long overdue post. My crazy semester just wrapped up, and I’m working. But, I hope to post regularly again.

Have a great day, fans!

– Becky :D

3. Melissa says:

Things are looking up in Yankeeland.
    Once the offense gets its act together (which seems to be happening), the pitchers settle in (all have had good starts this last round) and some of our injured players (Gardner, Robertson) come back, I think we’ll be seeing a lot more Ws.
    I thought Pettitte’s son Josh’s tweet was cute “Pops is dealing!”

I don’t know why he retired in the first place but I know why he UN-retired. He and his wife probably had no idea what it was like to be together 24/7 after they were used to him being gone for at least 9 months out of the year. LOL.

Anyway, as a Yankees fan, this is the kind of win I expect in almost every outing. Obviously the pitching was fantastic – nice to see that Andy can go that far into a game at his age and still maintain the control. And now the bats are coming alive – nice to not worry with the bases loaded. I do want Robertson and Gardner back for obvious reason. I’m not sure why, but I’m not that worried about Nova yet. I think tonight will be a defining game for his season though. Hopefully The Rays defense will help us again like they did last night. GO YANKEES!!!

Very glad Andy’s back, Sean.

I love the idea of Andy making the All-Star team, Becky, although I’m not sure he’d go since it’s probably better for him to take the break. But it would sure be a nice honor. Cy Young is a stretch, but I’d be thrilled.

Pettitte’s son’s tweets (his nephew has been tweeting too) are a concern, Melissa, and I wonder if Andy knows they’re on twitter because he might want to get them off. The little cheers for their dad were fine, but there was also language I doubt he’d approve of. And I hear they’ve been tweeting pictures of their hunting adventures holding up freshly killed animals. Not sure people want/need to see that. But yes, things are looking up in Yankeeland!

I had the same thought about Andy’s wife, Diane. LOL. She must have said, “Enough already. Go back to work!” I still worry about the RISP problem; home runs are great but we can’t rely on the other team’s errors to score. I hope Nova will pitch better than he has. He manages to win, but his ERA is getting up there.

6. Uncle Mike says:

If Andy’s layoff leads to him being fresh enough to give us a title this year, I’m glad he took it.

7. margaret says:

I did not get to see last nights game. :-(
    Oh how I love me some Andy. Jeez he was smokin’ huh?

I kept abreast of it all on my laptop while watching the Nats beat the Mets. My hometown team the Nationals are doing very well and last night’s game was 12 innings and fun to watch. But my heart belongs to the Yanks and Andy. Wow he was smokin’ ! I am so bummed that I missed this game! No Yes channel for me. (Why doesn’t Yes network go out to all who are willing to pay for it?)

I think I’d have to grill some chicken and make a light chicken salad and stuff those tomatoes and then grill ‘em. Yummy.

That’s one way to look at it, Uncle Mike. He was either going to be really rusty or really rested and I guess we’re seeing the latter.

If you’re willing to pay for YES, then get the Extra Innings cable package, Peg. I see all the games here in CA. Your recipe sounds delicious, but when tomatoes are as sweet as the ones I bought, I eat them with a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar.

9. Margaret says:

Jane,I can’t get extra innings on dish network I was told. :-(

Really, Peg? My friend out here has a dish and she has Extra Innings but maybe it’s a different satellite company. What about MLB.TV? At least you could get YES on the computer.

11. Drew says:

Jane, you scared me! When I saw the title, I thought you meant Andy had retired again. It’s going to be hard to say goodbye again.

Haha, Drew. Sorry about that. I don’t even want to think about life without him now that we have him back.

13. margaret says:

Thanks Jane. After I saw your response I went to dishnetwork.com and then I called them.
    If I could have it and I didn’t know I was going to kick myself. But they assured me I do not have it and can’t have it.

I have the MLB Network but not extra innings. They do not carry the Yes Channel as an option.
    MLB network does show a lot of games but not every NYY game of course.
    I also have MY 9 New York which gives me a game a week and it usually is a YES broadcast.
    I guess I have to stick to my laptop which isn’t great but better than nothing.

It’s all good though – I do get 11 of the next 17 games. I should be thankful for that.
    All’s good the boys are in 1st for now and I am not going to complain about anything…..today. :-)
    (trying to see the positive)

Sorry about the Extra Innings thing, Peg. Yes, the laptop is better than nothing.