Good Thing The Games Aren’t In Smell-O-Vision

May 21st, 2012 by Jane Heller

Because there would be a stink in my house and I’d have to fumigate. Seriously, the stench coming off my TV during tonight’s loss to the Royals would have been unbearable.

As a result of our offense not being able to score yet again, the Yankees are in last place (along with the Red Sox). Kuroda’s poor start and Sweaty Freddy’s poor relief didn’t help, but it’s the bats that have been to blame – over and over. Slotting Tex in the #7 spot in the lineup made no difference, nor did I expect it to.

What should Girardi do about the state of affairs? Not much. He can juggle the lineup, but in the end it’s the players who need to take responsibility. They’ll snap out of this. I just don’t know if tonight was rock bottom. Things might get worse before they get better. As Jeter said, slumps are contagious.

And it could be worse. At least our closer wasn’t arrested.

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to “Good Thing The Games Aren’t In Smell-O-Vision”

1. Sean K says:

I don’t care how good your pitching is, you’re not going to win when you score zero runs. This is getting ridiculous.

Tomorrow I’ll wear my lucky hat to see if it’ll break the hex our batters have been under. I haven’t worn it in 15 years, but it’s worth a shot.

I’m going to hold my nose and keep the faith. We’re better than this…

2. Soozcat says:

Hey, thanks for coming by my blog. Agreed, some things work better in Smell-O-Vision than others!

Definitely time for our offense to have a fire lit under it – long past time, actually. I feel sorry for you Jane – after these recent games I just want to forget about Yankee baseball. I can’t imagine having to write a blogpost after each of these depressing displays of very low achievement.

4. Ruth says:

Please tell me we’ve hit rock bottom! I don’t want to sound like a fair-weather fan, but Dancing with the Stars was an easy pick over that horrendous showing last night. But tonight is the last night for Dancing, so the boys better pick it up. So sad to not even be competitive…..

I stopped watching after we had the bases loaded with no outs and could not sneak in even one run. This is The Yankees…how is that possible?!!! I turned to The Rangers game which had just as dismal an outcome. Things have to turn around. I’m going to change my “good luck” commitment. It was nothing crazy…I just had to make sure that there were no dirty dishes in the sink during a Yankees game. All dinner dishes and anything used thereafter had to be washed — so from now on there has to be at least one dirty dish in the sink until the game is over. It starts tonight…let’s see if it works. GO YANKEES!!!

6. Leo says:

This is depressing. The Rangers game was supposed to be a distraction but even that didn’t help since they lost as well. I don’t know what to believe about this slump. I really just hope it’s just a really long funk and not the beginning of age related decline for some of these players. Gardner is not going to be the savior of this offense. Not that he won’t help but he won’t be able to do it alone. So what can be done? Girardi already shook up the offense by moving Teixeira down to seventh which I hope is for a little while because Ibanez has deserved to be in the fifth spot with how good he’s been hitting. Sigh I miss Montero. I know that he alone couldn’t carry a slumping offense but more youth in the lineup couldn’t hurt. Hindsight is a real pain in the rear especially with how awful the Montero/Pineda trade has played out for the Yanks so far.

Yes, do try your lucky hat, Sean. Couldn’t hurt.

You’re welcome, soozcat. Cool blog.

Don’t feel sorry for me, Audrey. It’s a good creative exercise trying to come up with something to say after each loss!

I know what you mean and you’re not a bad fan, Ruth. When they’re playing like this there’s just no compelling reason to watch. I have plans coming up in the late afternoon when the games air here and I don’t feel any conflict about missing innings or even the games themselves.

We switched over to the Rangers game too, Diane, and it wasn’t much help. Ugh. We switched over to CNN when it was 3-1 in the third period. So you think your dirty dish in the sink will do the trick, huh? That’s a new one on me. We’re just starting dinner when the games are on.

I don’t think Montero would have been our savior any more than Gardner will be, Leo, although at least Gardner has speed and can steal and make things happen when he’s in scoring position. Can’t say that for the rest of them. I do think this is just a funk and not about the aging thing. Look how hot Jeter was earlier. This seems to happen if not every year then often enough that I remember going through it. The question is whether the funk will last a long time and whether they can climb out of the hole they’re digging for themselves. Right now there’s still plenty of time to undo the damage.

8. Christy says:

Hey Jane,
    Derek says, “Slumps are contagious” – - – - then the preview of the movie – you crack me up!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured we needed a laugh, Christy, although the movie is pretty scary!

Maybe that would be a GOOD thing…to get some of the pitchers arrested…force ‘em to use some new or different arms. Surely, the Yanks can’t be the ONLY ballclub that struggles with unfamiliar hurlers…?

But right now, the whole team makes one want to hurl. If they keep losing home games to K.C. and the A’s, the players may PREFER to get arrested. And maybe placed in solitary confinement. Arrested Development, that’s 4 sure.

Sorry about the hockey wisecrax. It is, of course, your party. And your “Neighborhood Brawl” is getting uglier (as expected?)…no further comment warranted from these parts.

Maybe that’s the answer, Dave – arrest the players and put them in solitary confinement. That ought to teach them to hit with runners in scoring position.

12. Sue says:

In that case, please arrest the Phillies players also. They’re having the same issues as your Yankees – man on third with no outs, and the run does not score! So aggravating to watch, and to have to listen to hubby curse at the TV.

I’d be happy to arrest the Phillies for you, Sue. A citizen’s arrest, that’s what we’ll do. Sorry you’re having the same RISP issues. Tell your hubby he has lots of cursing company.

14. SBlue says:

Its been awhile since I last posted here. I’m just like everyone else here, I’m frustrated and annoyed for the lack of hitting on this team. Ibanez and Andy are the only guys I trust at the moment. Its strange, most of the favored teams are playing from the basement. At least one Yankee is having a fun time, Donnie Baseball.

Donnie must be having a great time, SBlue. I’m happy for him. And we actually won a game tonight! Will be posting about it shortly.