So Much For The King

May 11th, 2012 by Jane Heller

If you’d told me that Kuroda would outduel Hernandez, I might have raised an eyebrow. But it happened. After what seemed like an endless 1-1 tie, the Yankees broke through and dethroned the King, thanks to Ibanez’s latest blast, speaking of surprises. I was down on Raul’s signing in the beginning of the season, but he’s making me a believer.

Cano is on a total roll now – both at the plate and in the field. It’s like someone waved a magic wand over him and turned him back into the superstar we know he is.

The bullpen was great too, right down the line.

But the star of the night was Kuroda. No, the Mariners aren’t much on offense. And Kuroda does seem to have first inning problems. But he was pitching to major league hitters and he shut them down – the definition of a good outing.

I went out for dinner with Dodger fan friends after the game and was happy to tell them that their former battery mates, Kuroda and Martin, would have made them proud.

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “So Much For The King”

1. Sean K says:

Kuroda… wow, it’s amazing what he can do now that he finally has just an RCH of offensive support. He doesn’t need much, just a couple of runs [even against teams with better offenses than the Mariners]. Nice to see him doing well, I felt so sorry for him last year with seemingly *every* *single* *[expletive of choice]* *game* being either a 1-0 loss or a 2-1 loss.

Anyway, Seattle is a team we should beat. Let’s do it again tomorrow.

2. Sean K says:

Oh, that’s about half as much offensive support as a “whisker”, for the record. Like I said, he doesn’t need much.

3. YankeeCase says:

Felix is really starting to get on my nerves, and it has to do with more than just him owning us the last few years. The manicured eyebrows, the arrogant air about him, the time he said he would never pitch for the Yankees because they’re too big for their own good (or something like that). We’ve now pegged him for a loss two times in a row (the last one being in Seattle last September). That’ll learn him some respect! IbaƱez sure showed that whippersnapper what’s what! “Hey kid, don’t think you’re so great no one can hit you! Try that first pitch fastball down the middle again, I dare you!”

Looks like Kuroda might finally be settling down and becoming a bit dependable. CC now has five wins. Hughes may also be coming around. Nova has been a solid number two for a while. Things are starting to coalesce for our pitching rotation. Oh, and then there’s Andy Pettitte re-joining the team on Sunday…. I’m excited I get to be at Andy’s welcome home party! With Cano heating up, and maybe A-Rod starting to join him, we could start getting on a roll here as a team!

That was great fun! Raul is so cool, John Sterling is right about that. It’s great to have Robbie back being Robbie also. I was pleased Girardi had D-Rob get back up on the horse in the situation he did and that Robertson took care of business. Time to put that blown save in the past, though I can’t help but observe we would be on a five-game win streak had it not occured. Oh well – we’re on a two game streak and I’m feeling pretty good about our chances of extending that or at least having a winning record over the next few weeks (and months). Things seem to be clicking.

5. John says:

Another relaxing game to watch. Cano seems tuned in finally.

When you talk to Mom Sunday Jane, ask her if she remembers Totie Fields. My Mom was the winner of the national Totie look alike contest in 1973. She appeared on the Merv Griffin Show on March 19, 1973 and won the contest. She also appeared with Totie in Las Vegas and at the old Oakdale summer theater in Connecticut.

Off to see the Beach Boys Reunion show later today.

6. Leo says:

Watching Montero hit the opposite shot to the right field porch had me wishing he was still in NY and do that often for us but what’s done is done. I’m very surprised that we managed to dethrone Felix, at least for one night. Ibanez made him pay for his fastball pitch down the middle. I’m very happy that Ibanez is proving me wrong. I wanted him released not because of the ST numbers but because he looked like he was finished when he was with Philly last year. Surprisingly, it seems like he has been the one to get the clutch hits more often than most of the regulars. Cano is locked in which is great because he is an important piece to the offense. Now we have Noesi to face today which should be an easier time as long as Hughes can pitch well.

Yup, Kuroda did a great job, Sean. I’d just like to see more consistency from him from now on.

I have the same feeling about Felix as you do, YankeeCase. There’s just something I’m not wild about. And I think the Yankees have seen him enough now that they’re not completely fooled the way they’ve been in the past. As we know, they can do better against pitchers they’ve faced – even the best pitchers – than those they’ve never faced before. On Sunday, maybe you and Peggy can meet up at the game since you’re both going.

Sterling “Raul is so cool” is one of my least favorite of his home run calls, Audrey. He couldn’t think of anything more clever? Sheesh! Yes, things do seem to be clicking and it’s fun to see.

I remember Totie Fields, John. She used to be on the Ed Sullivan show a lot and it was unusual to see a female telling jokes back in the day. Interesting about your mom. Enjoy the Beach Boys concert. I read the NYT review of it the other day.

Our past is coming back to haunt us with Montero and now Noesi, Leo. I hope I don’t start regretting the trade all over again after this game!

8. Barbara says:

Weird that we can beat price and the king, two of the best, but can’t beat the no names. I assumed we’d love to the king but kuroda, Robbie and cano made me very happy. I am starting to feel better about our rotation.

9. Leo says:

Oh yeah, what are your thoughts about Nunez getting demoted to AAA, Jane? Amongst all the errors, he still had a good bat and was speedy on the base paths so I never expected him to go down. On the other hand, a utility player needs to be near perfect on defense, first and foremost.

It’s weird to me too, Barbara, that the no-names are a bigger challenge than the elite pitchers. Never did understand it, except that there must be a comfort zone when you know exactly what a guy can throw.

We had lots of comments about it in yesterday’s post, Leo. Or at least I think we did. But in any case I’m glad Nunez was sent down. He wasn’t helping on defense and since Girardi is intent on resting A-Rod and Jeter a lot, we need someone who can get the job done as a utility player. I’m sure the combo of Nix and Chavez will be fine for now.