First, The Bad News

May 10th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Yup, Eduardo Scissorhands was in full view tonight. Those errors in the first couple of innings were painful to watch, especially the second one. I actually wondered on that throw if he was suffering from the Chuck Knoblauch Syndrome. He received pats on the back from his teammates in the dugout, but seriously. How long can he play third? (Or second? Or short?) And why is A-Rod DH-ing so often? (That’s another story; don’t get me started.) Clearly, Nunez has a nice bat and can run the bases. But just as clearly he’s not the guy I want out there when CC is pitching and doing his best to be efficient with his pitch count.

Now, onto the good news.

CC was a beast.

At first I thought he might get hit hard – his pitches were up – but he totally settled in and dominated, and was the essence of an ace.

Cano was the Cano we’ve come to know and love. He’s back. He looks great at the plate, just great, and not a moment too soon.

Soriano took command in the ninth even after pitching on consecutive days. I liked it.

And here’s another piece of good news: Chris Stewart always does something good with his appearances. Girardi can say all he wants that Stewart isn’t CC’s personal catcher, but who cares? Why not let the two of them continue their partnership if it’s working? Martin’s a big boy. He can handle it.

Of course, the news that Gardner has re-injured himself isn’t good news at all. It stinks. I don’t want to see Ibanez in the outfield – ever – and even Jones makes me nervous. I really like Dewayne Wise though.

Good, solid series win for the Yanks against a division rival. I’m happy right now.

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “First, The Bad News”

1. Freya says:

Well as promised, I brought you a win. It was my second game this year, and the first win that I saw. It was a good game, except for the errors. We were all very nervous about Eduardo Scissorhands, but at least his hitting and base running was good. CC settled down and had 10 strikeouts. We got to see home runs too. I’m always a little nervous with Soriano, but he did a good job.

2. Leo says:

Scissorhands couldn’t damper my spirits tonight. Although there is going to come a time where his errors will be costly and that is when I will get angry. Now was as good a time as any for Cano to get going and it was against a great pitcher in Price. We can almost always count on CC to give us a strong lengthy outing and I’m grateful that we have him. And as you already said Jane, Stewart has been a nice surprise pickup. Too bad to hear there’s a setback with Gardner. Tomorrow is going to be a tough challenge against Felix. I never expect much when we play against him so hopefully Kuroda can match up.

You kept your word, Freya, and we’re very grateful. Must have been a fun game to see in person – eight innings from CC and a tidy finish by Soriano. How about going again tomorrow night? Haha.

Felix is having a great season so far, Leo, so the Yankees will have their hands full. Kuroda needs to be the Good Kuroda and Cano and company need to score early and often – somehow.

4. Sean K says:

A win’s a win. But I’m getting tired of bad injury news.

Hopefully the team will play well and the people on cold streaks get it going at some point. All we have to do is get in the playoffs and get hot for a month…

I listened as long as I could and was happy to start the movie I had planned to watch with my daughter with the score 5-2. The scoring was well-rounded – I like it when we combine scratching out runs with homers. Cano was great and I agree about Stewart, Jane – what a nice surprise he has been.

Since I don’t have anywhere else to do it, I’ll have a little rant here about the movie we watched – the two-hour version of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly. She is beautiful, the cinematography is beautiful and the music is beautiful but I hate how they tell the story. It’s so rushed that I wonder how people who don’t know the book can even understand half of what’s going on, especiall since they speak so quickly, as if trying to fit their lines in. And the Bennetts were gentlefolk, not trailer trash like they are portrayed in this film. There are farm animals running through the house, the walls all need to be painted, no one every combs her hair – honestly, it’s awful. Part of the fun of watching Jane Austen movies is the costuming and the beautiful estates and they are not part of this experience. Definitely not the version of P&P for Austen purists like myself.

Rant over. Return to baseball talk.

6. John says:

The long battle ended for my mom this week and we laid her to rest yesterday.

I got to watch a whole game last night and CC provided a great re-entry to serious fandom for my family and me.

Many of our guests after my mothers services are Sox fans. You would have been proud of me Jane. I behaved myself the whole time.

I have a lot of catching up to do. I’m back!

Hi and a hug to your mom Jane. Happy Mothers Day to her.

7. barbara says:

john, i am sorry for your loss and glad the yankees gave you something good to watch. i know it’s only baseball compared to real life and loss but it sure has been a source of support or distraction and comfort at times when i’ve needed it.
    i don’t get how edwardo can stay in the majors with the number of errors.
    i miss mo. yes soriano got the save but it seems he has to give up a run each time.
    i love the comfort of a well pitched game. thank you cc
    i love that cano seems to be back.
    in these parts it’s trashing the red sox and especially becket with some valentine thrown in. the celtics won a series but the radio airwaves are more about beckett’s golf game on his off day with a lat strain that had him miss a start.
    winning a series from what appears to be our biggest rival is lovely.
    david’ robertson’s comments on twitter that i read on the yes network seemed lovely. i hope he can be the closer because it’s nice when you have a player that you like who is also good.

8. Jade says:

Jane,
    Long time reader, first time commenter. Love your blog.
    It’s time for Noonie to step up or get dropped down. It’s been a few years now, he’s had the time playing on a daily basis or on the bench to work on his skills and he just does not seem to be improving! Maybe another couple chances to test him in the outfield but enough is enough. Nix rocked 3B at the end of the night, that’s what the team and the fans want to see!! His errors are on simple plays. I could go on forever..
    I hope this series win over the Rays helped to boost the boys confidence and the boys start connecting with the ball and bringing some runs in. Today is another day, let’s go Yankees!

Yes, the injury news about Gardner was disappointing, Sean. I was really figuring we’d have him back and now he’s lost to us again. Grrrr.

I never saw that version of “Pride and Prejudice,” Audrey, but it sounds like I’d have the same opinion you did. Btw, if you want to rant about movies, head over to the Mainly Jane blog where I talk about entertainment of all types. I haven’t posted there since Saturday – very busy with work – but you might want to read about “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” which opened in limited release last weekend and which I liked a lot.

My sincere and heartfelt condolences to you and your family, John. I hope you’re doing okay. And yes, I’m proud of you that you behaved yourself under the circumstances!

Barbara, I have to admit I’ve been reading all about Beckett and “Golfgate” and how he was booed off the field last night. What a mess. Apparently, in his post-game session with reporters, he said that he could do whatever he wanted on his off days and if he wanted to play golf it was nobody’s business. I guess he missed the point about the injury. Maybe he should talk to Joba about “Trampolinegate” and they could compare notes about how to deal with the media. My favorite part of all this was that after one of the Indians hit a line drive in the game, a fan yelled out “Fore!” That made me laugh.

Hi, Jade. So nice to see you here! I agree 100% about Nunez. I know he’s well liked and has talent in many areas, but fielding is not one of those talents. That second error last night, where his throw went waaaay past Cano at second, was just bizarre. If we want to be a championship team and if Girardi intends to rest A-Rod and Jeter with this sort of regularity, then we need a utility player we can count on. (I could go on forever too.)

10. Juan says:

I’m very happy with the series win, too. (Could’ve been a sweep, but, oy, whatever). The Yanks just need to keep playing this baseball. Strong outings from the pitchers, good offense, maybe less errors and better hitting with RISP, (I’m looking at you, Teixeira). Also, Girardi, don’t mess with something that is going great. Keep Stewart in there with Sabathia and we’ll be fine.

I’m heading over to Mainly Jane after this, Jane. I enjoy your movie reviews.

Josh Beckett is an amazingly arrogant twit who seems to have no sense of public relations. Boston has enough problems without adding more bad press. Geesh, it’s enough to make you feel sorry for Bobby Valentine!

So sorry about your loss, John. What Barbara said is so true – our love for sports does help us get through difficult times and provides a welcome distraction.

Welcome Jade – hope you’ll be back often! Jane’s blog is the first place I come mornings during baseball season. I love to read everyone’s comments about the game the night before. It’s like having breakfast with friends!

12. barbara says:

i just drove past a massachusetts plate the said mo 42.

audrey, i love the idea of breakfast with friends here on the blog. it’s how i start my day too!

What an awesome license plate! Funny, when I see a Mass car with a Yankee emblem or bumper sticker I smile approvingly but when I see a NY car with Red Sox propoganda I’m insulted and disgusted. I just can’t understand how someone living in the state where resides the greatest team in sports history could prefer another a team from another state, though I can certainly understand how other states could prefer New York’s team. Me biased? Never!

Well — for me, it’s Lunch with The Bloggers (finally get to close my office door, and no prying eyes around) — but What You Ladies Said — and welcome, Jade!

John, my condolences…you’ve been where I’ll likely be in the coming months…planning to head down to Boca for the 3rd time in a couple of weeks…we’ll celebrate what’s surely my mom’s last birthday, and then quietly move her possessions either up to the medical wing, or out to storage. ‘Nuff said with Mom’s Day fast approaching…may EVERYONE have a great one…especially our Blog Mother, Jane’s Mama!!

Oh yeah, baseball. Great win. Eduardo is a natch’l-born DH, nothing more, with speed to boot (so to speak)…can’t they please do that for a game like tonite’s, when every run will be extra-precious? Dunno. Always enjoy pleasant surprises like young Mr. Stewart…and because of his past, my Dark Schadenfreude Side is LOVING the Beckett Brouhaha (when I see my Bosox-lovin’ Bro-in-law in two weeks, I’ll have to offer him a packet of “Just Joshin'” golf balls to go with that next Red Sox Lunch)!

Got a good omen today. The regular freebie papers were absent from my Metro train stop, so I grabbed a copy of the Epoch Times (a weekly Taiwan-Chinese-prepared paper with news of the world). Rarely ever a sports article, except today. What was it? “Red Sox Versus Yankees: the Oral History of the Bucky Dent Home Run,” by Harvey Frommer, with a BIG pic of Our Boy Bucky. Talk about a DELIGHTFUL read! Kids, if you’re too young to remember 1978, check this out…trust me, it has a happy (Happy Joe) ending…!!

C.C. was incredible…I don’t know how he could have possibly pitched a better game. And Swisher’s throw to stop the first inning scoring at 1 was just fabulous – we definitely missed him. I don’t think its that bad to rest A-Rod alot, but we need Chavez back — Nunez is just not doing it. And we really do miss Gardner as most already know.

I don’t get to this blog on the weekends, so I’m wishing all a very Happy Mother’s Day – especially for Andy Pettitte’s mom and wife — hopefully his gift to them will be a win on Sunday. GO YANKEES!!!

I agree about CC and Stewart, Juan. If it’s working, leave it alone. Hopefully, that’s what Girardi will do.

I love that license plate, Barbara. I have “Mo coming in for the ninth” as my screensaver, so he’s the first thing I see in the morning (almost).

Here in Santa Barbara, Audrey, I see mostly Dodgers attire/bumper stickers, with only the occasional Yankees stuff. But I do get excited whenever I spot the interlocking N-Y. Makes my heart do a little dance.

I don’t think Nunez is a natural born DH, Dave. I think he’s a natural born minor leaguer. (I know. I’m being too harsh on the guy.) Maybe with more seasoning and less moving from base to base, although that’s what a utility infielder is supposed to do: move around. Dunno.

I don’t think it’s “bad” to rest A-Rod, Diane, but this much? He’s not 100 years old! He’s supposed to be our everyday third baseman and instead he’s been the DH. A very Happy Mother’s Day to you for Sunday. I hope your family treats you to a special celebration.

17. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans…

First …John, I’m so sorry about your Mom. May she rest in peace and may the life she shared with you only bring beautiful memories.

I was at the game last night too. I just love the big guy. My seats are in the upper deck and due to his size his uniform looks so WHITE compared to the others…he really is such a big bear…our own Gentle Ben gut a Grizzly when it comes to pitching. He was amazing…two errors leading to two unearned runs and he just shrugged it off and pitched like the true Ace that he is. Poor NunEEEEEEE !!! He really does have a lot to offer with his offense and speed but he has to REALLY work on that defense. In all fairness I don’t know if switching him from all the different infield positions to the outfield and back again is helping matters. Seasoned players usually make better utility guys and he’s such a young guy. I would like him to do better in the field because it seems like the guys on the team really like him and want him to do well too. Thankfully the errors weren’t costly and didn’t affect CC’s rapidly declining ERA. Cano had a blast …loved seeing that too. Robbie finally being Robbie…YAY !!! Grandy ihas picked up right where he left off last year…I really love Curtis…terrific ballplayer and person. It was quite chilly but thankfully not raining and the Yankee win warmed me up fast.

I’m with you Jane …WHY IS ALEX DH’ING SO MUCH??? He is really moving well …getting down the line, stealing bases, fielding. I know he wants to keep him “fresh” but it’s so early in the season and I can’t understand it at all? Once a week is fine I would think but I guess Joe knows his players a heck of a lot better than I do …so ..who am I to second guess? I can’t imagine that Alex is too happy with it as he takes pride in his defense as well as his offense.

I’ll be at the game on Mother’s Day and I’m so excited that I’ll be seeing Andy pitch his first game back. I hope he’s just what the doctor ordered but I won’t be surprised if he needs a little time to get it going. Of course I have every confidence he will and that he will be a big influence on this team going forward.

One last thing …I missed hearing “Enter Sandman” last night …boo hoo but congrats to Sori ….threw lots of strikes which was good to see. I don’t care if Robbie or Sori close just as long as they shut the door ala our Mo.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the lovely Moms on the blog…enjoy the day with the most precious gifts of all …
    our children.

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

P.S. …Happy Mother’s Day to the “original” She Fan too…your Mom !!! :o)

18. Peggy says:

Oh ..I forgot to mention that my lucky charm Met fan cousin was with me at the game (for a Met fan it seems he goes to a lot more Yankee games ..hmmm). Anyway …we lost the first game he went to with me last Wednesday but thankfully he’s back on track with the win last night… :o).

Go Yankees 2012 !!!

I’m excited for you that you’ll be at the Stadium on Sunday, Peggy – a perfect way for you to celebrate Mother’s Day. I don’t know what to expect from Andy except that the ovations and cheers for him should be off the charts. Have a great time. And I’ll pass along your good wishes for my mother, along with John’s and Dave’s.

20. Corinne says:

Just got a notice on my phone from the Yankees. Nunez has been sent down to Triple A. After last night, I don’t care how many people like him. Learn to field!

21. Ruth says:

Great win last night! Does anyone know how Nunez fielding was in the Minor Leagues? I can’t imagine if it was this bad he would have ever gotten to ‘the Show,’ so maybe there is hope. I don’t want to give up on him…as Michael Kay said last night, the guys really like him, and I feel so bad for him..but I did scream out after the second error…it is frustrating, no doubt! Let’s dethrone the King tonight!

I saw that about Nunez, Corinne. I can’t say I didn’t see it coming. Maybe he’ll iron out the kinks.

I think it was his bat that got him to “the Show,” Ruth. But he’s not meant to be a utility man. Let him learn how to play his position so Nix can fill that role at second/short and Chavez, who has a Gold Glove, can handle third. Much better plan.

23. Christiaan says:

Funny you say Nunez is a natural minor leaguer, Jane considering he was sent down today for Chavez. Girardi says he will focus on SS down there because playing every position is obviously not working for him.

Right, Christiaan. See comments above. I hope Nunez will hone his skills at shortstop and come back when there’s a spot for him.

25. Corinne says:

On the computer while watching the game, I just read Doug Glanville’s beautiful opinion piece in the NY Times on Mo. I recommend it to all, although some of us might need a box of tissues to get through it.

Loved Glanville’s Opinionator piece, Corinne. It’s essential reading. Here’s the link for anyone who missed it. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/not-quite-closing-time/