Life Is Better

May 4th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Sounds like we’ll be seeing Enter Sandman again after all. Not this season, but next. With the news that Mo does, in fact, intend to come back once he’s healthy, we can regroup after the shock of yesterday and focus on the immediate future without him.

Toward that end, the Yankees had a nice game in KC tonight. Early on, I thought CC might get hit hard but he settled right down and dominated after giving up the two runs.

Great to see Tex hitting the ball. Finally.

And Jeter continues to amaze. We all hoped he’d play at a high level, but go on a tear like he’s been doing? Including another homer tonight? Sick.

I was glad the Yankees called up Dewayne Wise. The kid can play the outfield and takes care of my defensive concerns, plus he got a hit tonight. I hope he hangs around awhile.

Chris Stewart is really a surprise. He seems to contribute every time he gets the opportunity to catch. Good for him.

And D-Rob. It was when he came in for the ninth that I felt the absence of Mo very keenly, even though it was a non-save situation, but I said to myself, “Get used to it. This is the new reality. It’ll be okay.” Robertson was more than okay. The way he handled the Royals in the ninth was very Mo-like.

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Life Is Better”

1. Leo says:

For our collective sanity, I’m relieved that Mo came to his decision to come back very quickly. I honestly believed he was going to take a bit longer to think it through, discuss with his family, etc. In 24 hours, I went from disbelief and complete anguish to joy and relief. He won’t be here this season but at least we know he intends to come back. Anyway, Robertson looks more than ready to spot in as our closer for now. I would hope to see very few Houdini acts. Just keep racking up the K’s and I’ll be a-ok. As fun as they are when he pulls them off, it won’t be very good for my health if he does it too often. CC was once again efficient with a real solid 8 inning start and settling down after the first. Hope Tex shook off his usual April slump to start contributing. Can’t say enough about how much Jeter is amazing me. He’s been carrying this offense.

2. YankeeCase says:

I hope what we saw from D-Rob tonight was a sign of things to come. A symbolic easing into those great big shoes… Sure he’s got a few career saves, but now they’re really going to count! The only thing that would’ve made it that much better was if it had been an actual save opportunity. But a win is a win is a win!

I did read though that Girardi is planning on splitting the ninth inning role between Robertson and Soriano. I think it’s meant to be temporary until one settles in for good. I sure hope it’s Robbie (David, not Cano). Not that I want Soriano to fail and collapse under the pressure. I’d just rather have our homegrown guy step up and grow into the role we know he’s capable of handling. I would love it if he were to develop a certain cutting pitch though…

Remember a few years ago when we were all wondering who’d be the heir apparent? Hughes? Joba? Robertson? Looks like we may have our answer.

CC was great last night. Hopefully he’s starting to settle into a nice groove. And Hiroki is going to show us tomorrow whether he’s Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. We all hope the former!

We picked ourselves off the ground after being kicked in the gut yesterday. There’s no one to hold our hand and guide us and offer assurances now with Mo gone. Time to prove we’re just as strong without that safety net in the ninth.

3. Barbara says:

In past years if we knew mo wasn’t available for a day or a week, the game seemed more worrisome but now to know he won’t be here for a while is really weird. No security blanket. With that said the worst part was thinking of him ending his career like that so the news was great of his return. Is anyone can do it at his age, he can. For this year, it worries me that we struggle with kc with our ace on the mound. We have to get cano going and hit with runners In scoring position like we did in the one inning. We sure are lucky to have d rob.

4. Ruth says:

I TOLD you Mo would come back. I’m glad he shares my view (haha) that he can’t go down that way. EXACTLY what I wanted to hear from him. Okay, what should my ESPN sign read for tomorrow night’s Phillies/Nats game? I know it’s not a Yankees game (and I’m not a sign person), but I wanted to show Mo some love on National TV…ESPN…Enter….Sandman…but I couldn’t think of anything appropriate for P and N…Ideas?? Oh, forget it…I’M JUST GLAD HE’S COMING BACK!

Very relieved that Mo came to a quick decision, Leo. Like you, I thought he’d wait until he got back to NY and talked to his family and the doctors, but I guess he left strongly after being around his teammates that he didn’t want to finish this way. Now let’s see if his body cooperates.

I think Girardi is having another one of his competitions, YankeeCase. He wants D-Rob and Soriano to prove which one of them should close. D-Rob has been exceptional but Soriano has experience as a closer, so why not let them battle it out. The other possibility is for Hughes to go to the pen when Pettitte returns. It would be crowded in there, with Garcia hanging around too, but we’d sure have a lot of depth. And yes, I remember when we all expected Joba to be the heir apparent. So much for that.

It’s weird, Barbara. No question. The reality that Mo’s situation isn’t temporary will take getting used to. Cano will be the key to our offense once he comes around, which needs to be soon.

You did predict it, Ruth. Are you really bringing a sign to the game tomorrow night? (Some parks don’t allow it, but I don’t know about the Nats.) How about “Even the Nats Say Get Well Soon, Mo!” Haha.

Woke up with a much lighter heart this morning. Between the Yankee’s win last night and Mo’s commitment to returning I feel much better about life. I do have some concerns, though, especially about Cano. As of this morning Robbie has only 4 RBIs after 106 at bats. That ain’t good. Chris Stewart has the same number of RBIs in only 21 at bats! Stewart also has the same batting average as Tex, though Tex has a healthy number of RBIs (16) and seems to be coming around. A-Rod has only 11 RBIs himself. We just are not getting clutch performances out of Cano and A-Rod and that really needs to change. Just my two cents.

7. Sean K says:

The win was nice, but of far less import than Mo deciding he wants to return.

I hope he’s able to pull it off. He deserves to end his career walking to the mound at Yankee Stadium to the sound of “Enter Sandman” and the cheering of 40,000 fans and then after a 1-2-3 inning, walking off the mound, raising his arms to the heavens and getting a standing “O” from the crowd. And if it should *happen* to be in the 7th game of the 2013 World Series, that would be especially nice…

8. Ruth says:

I don’t think I’ll bring a sign, Jane, but that would be funny to make it a get well card to Mo, from the Nats. Hmmm…maybe….

Yesterday I did some hard work in the yard (pulling bamboo!) before the game. It’s sort of pathetic to admit (but I’m hoping you all will agree and make me feel less of a weirdo) that almost all my thoughts were about Mo, how he HAD to come back (this was before I heard the good news), his injury, the impact on the team, blah blah blah. It’s amazing how this team, these players, really get under your skin….or else I just need to get a life! Was anyone almost constantly thinking about this yesterday, or do I need to step away from the TV??? Please! Somebody??

Your two cents thoughts have been on my mind too, Audrey, but in Cano’s case I’m sure he’ll come around. He’s struggling now but he’s too talented not to get hot. A-Rod has been getting his hits but not driving in runs and hitting for the kind of power we need. He’s a question mark – always.

Perfect scenario, Sean, always I’m not big on Game 7s. I’d prefer a clean sweep!

You’re not a weirdo (well, if you are then I’m the same kind of weirdo). I thought about Mo all day too. It really was like someone died – so crazy!