Raise Your Hand…

April 28th, 2012 by Jane Heller

…if you thought the Yankees’ starting pitching would be a problem.

I’m putting a finger up, not a whole hand. I thought we’d have a great rotation going into spring training, except for Garcia, last year’s reclamation project along with Colon, and Hughes, who has always struck me as being overrated. CC, Pineda and Nova would lead the staff, I figured, and Garcia and Hughes would pick up the back end until someone better came along.

So much for that plan. Pineda isn’t in the mix and CC and Nova have been okay so far but not dominant. Hughes has pitched about as well as I expected. It’s Garcia that’s a head scratcher for me. Why didn’t Cashman just say, after last season, “Well, we caught a break with Freddy. Let’s be grateful and move on.” Why push your luck and bring him back for an encore?

Yes, there are rumblings that he might be hurt, but more likely he’s just done.

And if he’s done, then who’s getting his spot? Phelps? I guess.

Today’s game did have its positives.

1. The bullpen continues to be a revelation.
  2. Swisher is a beast. So is Granderson.
  3. Eduardo Scissorhands didn’t make an error.
  4. The Yankees keep showing a lot of heart with their comebacks – a very good thing.

But I’d be lying if I didn’t say to myself – somewhere around the fifth inning – “Andy Pettitte needs to be Andy Pettitte really badly.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Raise Your Hand…”

1. YankeeCase says:

Jane I don’t understand why Cashman didn’t go after Colon. He was a way better pitcher than Freddy Garcia was last year. And while Colon was faltering down the stretch, you had to figure it was because he was coming back from a year (or two?) away from baseball. It couldn’t be money reasons, could it? I mean Cashman gave Kuroda $10 million, so a similar deal could have been made. The only thing I could see is that he didn’t want anything to do with Big Bart after the revelation of the stem cell procedure he had done. As if we haven’t had to deal with any other controversies before… Big Bart is having another stellar start to the season, with an ERA at 2.62 and going at least 7 innings in every start but one. I think we made a mistake not bringing him back. We need the starters to go give us innings, and Garcia is definitely not someone who eats up innings. I think we’re going to need more than just Andy Pettitte. We might be seeing one of the two young big starters come up from Scranton soon enough to at least get a look…

2. barbara says:

i went out and didn’t watch yesterday because i am trying to have a life that isn’t just yankees and also i knew i can’t bear to watch freddy. i came home and watched the almost successful rally. if this continues we will continue to be mediocre which so far as been fine but will not get us to where we want to be in the long run. freddy has to be taken out of the rotation. we need andy to be andy soon and we need one of the three B named minor leaguers to get major league ready soon. i am hoping that cc will be great today for some sunday fun. the walkoff was fun but let’s get a jane and all of us can relax 10 run lead!

3. Melissa says:

I have to disagree about Colon YankeeCase. Though he was brilliant at the beginning of last season, he seemed pretty burned out at the end. I’m not sure he would have lasted. I think that probably played into their decision.

I don’t see Pettite as our saviour, didn’t he always end up going only 5 innings? Maybe that will be enough.

Here’s the plan: keep our starting nine, and Nunez and a back up catcher. Get rid of the other guys and stack the bullpen. It’s the only way we’ll make it. ; – )

I’m starting to get the same feeling as a few years ago. Remember when they got that new conditioning coach and then everyone got injured? Could there be some part of the pitching routine that is causing an issue?

Besides Freddie, the Yankees had a great game.

PS Speaking of pitching, is anyone else waiting to see how long before the Rangers young pitchers all crash due to the elevated pitch counts Nolan Ryan is imposing?

I’m never secure with starting pitching because we have been burned so many times in that area. Is Pineda going to be our next Carl Pavano? I’m worried that could be the case, though I certainly hope it is not. But YankeeCase is right about Colon – he’s off to a great start. And why did we trade Ian Kennedy and keep Phil Hughes? I know not every choice will be the right one but we seem adept at making the wrong ones when it comes to our pitching staff.

It would have been pretty cool to have two comeback Saturdays in a row but the baseball Gods did not deem it right. Today CC has to be CC and we need take this series. Our offense it doing its job – time for the pitching to back it up.

5. Melissa says:

Oh, forgot to add that I love how Barbara calls a 10-run-or-more game “A Jane.”

6. Sean K says:

Just have to win today and it’ll be a good weekend. But yeah, the pitching is starting to become a worry.

Hopefully our guys get it together. Having Pettitte will help.

[think good thoughts... think good tohoughts... think good thoughts...]

The problem is that the two young starters aren’t doing that well in Scranton, YankeeCase. There’s no one in the system right now that’s screaming, “Pick me. I deserve to be pitching in the majors.” I’d be 100% for giving one of the kids a shot but they’re not burning it up down in AAA. As for Bart, that would have been a crap shoot. Btw, congrats on the Rangers’ victory over the Caps yesterday!

Yes, let’s have some CC fun today, Barbara. I’m all for a Jane 10 run-er.

I agree about Colon, Melissa. (Sorry, YankeeCase.) And I’m afraid I also think it’s a long shot that Pettitte will be our savior. He’s been a grinder, no doubt about that, always giving us a chance to win even without his best stuff, but I wonder about his strength and durability at this point. I don’t think there’s anything new going on with the pitching routines. Hughes isn’t hurt. CC isn’t hurt. Phelps isn’t hurt. The bullpen is fine. Pineda came to camp 20 pounds overweight and Joba fell on a trampoline. If Garcia is hurt, maybe he had another kitchen accident.:) It’ll be interesting to see how the Rangers pitchers do over the long haul, very true.

When I interviewed Doug Mientkiewicz for the She-Fan book, Audrey, he said he thought Ian Kennedy was far more polished than Phil Hughes (I don’t think that made it into the book; maybe he didn’t want to say it on the record – can’t remember). And Kennedy has been very good – in the NL. Would he be very good in the AL East? Who knows.

Thinking good thoughts, Sean K. Good mantra.

8. Melissa says:

I meant to tell you guys that I went to a fundraiser yesterday. On the silent auction table there were autographed photos from Roy White, Goose, and Roger Clemens. Also a ball from Mickey Rivers. I bid on the Roy White item, but got outbid at the last minute. I’m not interested in memorabilia, but I loved Roy White and had to place a bid.
    This was for my “Grandfriend”, my best friend’s grandchild who has cancer, so it wasn’t even a large event. How nice that these guys responded to the letters for donations.

Wow, that was really nice of the players to participate, Melissa. (I would have bid on the White photo too.)

10. Barbara says:

Melissa, sorry about your grandchild. I liked Roy white too. I really liked Oscar gamble, sandy alomar and Chris chambliss. I hope a lot of money was raised.

My bad, Melissa, for missing the part about the reason for the fundraiser. (I’m guilty of reading too fast sometimes.) I hope for the best for your friend’s grandchild. (Thanks to Barbara for the heads up!)

12. Ruth says:

Hi everyone-here for a late entry while I watch the end of today’s game (Andruw just went deep!) When I read YankeeCase’s post, I thought ‘I agree!’ I mean, if you were going to keep one of the two aging guys, Colon was as good a pick as Sweaty. Of course I also have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight…I think Colon is doing well where he is…so I think we may have picked wrong. Oh well.

In other news, in this area last night we were all glued to our tvs to watch Bryce Harper’s debut at Chavez Ravine. Did anyone see the dumb kid behind home plate who MOONED us right before Harper got his first hit? I didn’t notice while we were watching, but today on one of the morning sports shows, they showed the hit and something behind home plate was blurred out. I ‘went to the videotape!’ to check it out (I had recorded the game), and saw the Full Moon. Crazy Dodger fans! LOL and GROSS all at the same time!

13. YankeeCase says:

Well thanks for agreeing with me, Ruth! I was getting ganged up on! lol… ;P

I just thought that of the two, Colon had the better stuff. They both had their problems, but I think Big Bart had the bigger upside. I was watching the MLB Network at the same time as the Yankee game today and we saw Colon had a great game going in Baltimore (a shutout!) until he let two people on, with help from a throwing error. And then Balfour let those runs come in to tie the game and then gave up a walk off home run! In the end, I guess the Yankees thought Garcia was the safer choice to go with, all things considered.

I know the kids weren’t really doing all that great down in the minors, Jane, but I was thinking that we could at least give one of those kids a shot and see something different, because we know for sure what we’re getting from Garcia. Looks like Phelps will be getting the spot instead. Good for him. He’s been good for the most part. There are times when he gives up a string of hits, but hopefully he’ll know how to space those apart a little better as a starter.

I did also watch last night’s Dodgers/Nats game last night because of the hype about this kid. I totally missed the moon shot, but did see everything from the fifth inning on. So I saw the hit, missed the moon, saw how the Dodgers came back in the ninth to tie, and then Kemp’s walk off shot. What a great game! I’ve been watching a lot more games than the Yankees’ this year than I have in the past.

14. YankeeCase says:

Good luck to your best friend’s grandchild, Melissa! That must be really tough on the poor kid… I hope all goes well. :)

I guess the point I was trying to make about both Garcia and Bart, Ruth and YankeeCase, is that I didn’t see the reason to bring back either of them. I know the Yankees have a budget (lately) and Cashman wasn’t about to sign CJ Wilson or one of the other free agents, but that’s what I was hoping for. I think we caught a break with the two veterans last year and, regardless of how well Colon is doing now, I wouldn’t have taken a chance on him again. I only saw clips of the Dodgers/Nats game last night – we get all the Dodgers highlights on our 11 o’clock news – and they didn’t show the mooner. Damn!

16. Melissa says:

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! He is going to Sloan Kettering on Thursday for surgery – so be sure to send some good thoughts his way. He is only 17 months old on Tuesday and has a rare form of cancer. Luckily, the doctors think they can totally cure him.

There is a piece about him and the fund raiser on their local news here:

His grandparents are our best friends – I’ve known them for 35 years and used to watch Yankee games with them in the dorm in college! So Carly (the mom) is like my own child. Since my kids aren’t having babies yet, Mica is my “grandfriend.”
    I know they appreciate any support they can get from anyone, so if you’d like to post something to Mica’s caring bridge site, go here:

Just tell them I sent you!