A Laugher!

April 15th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Okay, it wasn’t really a laugher. I was just dying to use the laughing lady again. But whenever the Yankees score 10 runs or more, I do get excited.

Anyhow, Nova was great at limiting damage. Yes, he gave up some runs, but he always seemed in command.

Loved the expression on Torii Hunter’s face when Ibanez’s homer sailed over his head. He was standing there going, “Whaaaaat was that?”

Loved the offense from the middle of the order – particularly their ability to move runners over. Yay, RISP.

Loved the continued hot bat of Jeter.

Loved the fact that Cano and Tex each stole a base.

Loved the way Robertson put out the fire Soriano started. But I have no idea why Girardi brought him back out for the eighth with a nice lead. Shouldn’t he have been saved for the rest of the week?

I even loved (okay, liked) the ESPN guys. They had such complimentary things to say about the Yankees for a change.

The icing on tonight’s cake was the item on Boston.com about Bobby Valentine and Kevin Youkilis. Apparently, Bobby was on the radio, speaking out of school, so to speak. Uh-oh.

Valentine: Youkilis not as much into the game

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff April 15, 2012 10:24 PM

By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

This is sure to cause some issues.

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine was on WHDH’s Sports Xtra show Sunday night and said this about Kevin Youkilis:

“I don’t think he’s as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason. But [on Saturday] it seemed, you know, he’s seeing the ball well, got those two walks, got his on-base percentage up higher than his batting average, which is always a good thing, and he’ll move on from there.”

Youkilis is hitting .200/.265/.233 in the eight games he has played. But the remark seems curiously timed given that he is 6 of 18 with three walks in his last five games.

Youkilis was hampered by injuries in 2010 and 2011. But when he was healthy in 2010, he posted a career-best .975 OPS.

Youkilis, who turned 33 in March, is engaged to marry Julie Brady, the sister of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “A Laugher!”

1. Leo says:

Jane, your tweet was featured on the YES Extra Innings show. I definitely agree with you about Nova. I didn’t watch the entire game as I celebrated my mother and sister’s birthday today but I managed to catch from about the 5th inning on. If someone only looked at the box score, one would think Nova did okay at best. It was much more than that. He kept us in the game and never truly imploded such as when Kendrick tripled in the first and when he doubled in the fifth by getting Pujols and Hunter out consecutively each time. It wasnt the best outing of course but it got the job done. I have so much more faith in Nova than I do Hughes and its funny to see how a highly regarded prospect been surpassed by an unhyped prospect so far. The offensive explosion was fun. Jeter’s hot streak is great to watch, the middle of the order starting to do good things at the same time, and Ibanez’s blast was also fun. I didn’t like Soriano almost blowing it and needing Robertson to bail him out.

2. SBlue says:

An enjoyable game indeed. The middle of the order is coming around just in time to destroy the Twins. Jeter playing the game at his best. Keep it going Jeet! My reaction to the Ibanez homer is the same as Torii Hunter’s. Super Nova is still more trustworthy than Hughes and Freddy. Soriano sucked, why Joe put him in? I don’t know. Sad that Phelps didn’t play cause he’s still awesome. Overall, great work and now its time to sweep the sad team that’s called the Twins.

3. Sean K says:

Way to go, team. Taking 2 of 3 against Anaheim isn’t easy.

Winning the primetime ESPN game, when everyone is watching YOU, is always sweet. And I have nothing but good things to say about Nova. You’re not going to completely shut down the Angels but he managed to hold them in check — no massive outbursts. The thing you always fear against a lineup that good is the 5 or 6 run inning, especially early in the game.

Well, 5-4 with THAT gauntlet of an opening schedule isn’t bad. Now things hopefully get a little bit easier. Be nice to see something like 10-2 or 9-3 in the next 12 games.

4. YankeeCase says:

Ahh, what a satisfying trip to the Bronx! I whipped out my authentic Jackie Rob-, err I mean Mariano Rivera #42 jersey in honor of one Mr. Jackie Robinson!

It was so cool to see Mrs. Robinson and her daughter at the game. Once the cameras were off I saw her almost jog very sprightly to the dugout. Mind you, this is a woman who’s almost 90 years old! I think she is so amazing, what she’s been through, what she’s seen, and what she’s done since Jackie passed. She once sat in on a ESPN broadcast of a Dodgers game on Jackie Robinson Day, and she was so baseball savvy, I loved it! She moaned incredulously when the Dodgers pitcher walked the opposing pitcher. “Oh! Walked the pitcher?” she said!

Don’t know if they showed this on TV or not, but they showed the New York Knicks’ rookie sensation Iman Shumpert on the big screen to great applause. The Knicks had played the Miami Heat earlier in the day and lost a heartbreaker to one of the elite teams in the NBA. That’s hard for me to say because to me the Miami Heat are just about tantamount to the Red Sox. Anyway, a short time later they showed Miami’s star player, Dwyane Wade to incredible boo’s! He looked to take it all in smug stride, and then he pulled out his Yankee hat to enthusiastic cheers and applause! It was pretty funny!

I loved that third inning, where the Yanks scored 4 runs without a home run. The long ball is great, but small ball (or just regular ball, I guess) is where you get consistent scoring. I was amazed at Tex’s steal! How close was the tag, because I thought he was out! Same with Robbie later on. Jeter’s home run came out of nowhere, but it looked like a no doubter from where I sat. A-Rod looked slick at third and Houdini performed his usual magic. Nova seemed to start losing his stuff in the fourth. A single, and then luckily got a double play after going down 3-0 to the hitter. And then a fly ball if I remember right. Sorry can’t remember who the players were. I forget because they were all wearing #42!!

Raul Ibanez hit a moon shot! The ball fell in under the third deck, along the suite balconies, which is way high above the second deck (Damon’s deck). I looked over at my cousin with a “Whoa!!” and high fived her, my mouth full of cheese fries…

Overall a great night, with mid-summer-like weather and a Yankees win over a quality team to get the series win. I’m 2-0 now on the season!

As the runs sttarted piling on I kept urging the boys to give you a ten-er, Jane. So happy they complied! What a fun game. Almost wish it had been on FOX so they would have had to deal with it but the ESPN guys did a pretty good job. There’s no place like YES, though.

Love D-Rob and what he brings to our games. The review of last years stats struck me again – he is unbelievably good! Same goes for Nova. I know this may be to heresy to some, but he is my favorite starter and the one I feel most secure with. Let’s face it, CC has struggled for a while. Nova, on the other hand, now has won his last 14 games, though I was afraid they would jink him by talking about it. Same with Pujos and the homerun drought. I really didn’t want that to end last night!

Yes, people on Twitter told me about my Tweet last night, Leo. Since I don’t get the YES post-game stuff I never know until after the fact! It’s so true about Nova. He never truly imploded when he got into trouble, the way his pal A.J. always seemed to. And you’re right about the switching of roles of Nova and Hughes. The golden boy turns out to be the one nobody really noticed (so far). Soriano’s outing was not a confidence builder, but I’m hoping he’ll come around.

You wanted Phelps to pitch, SBlue? His arm will fall off. He’ll have plenty of chances.

It’s fun to win the nationally televised games, Sean K, and we have plenty of them coming up – like next Sat and Sun against the Sox.

Sounds like you had a terrific time, YankeeCase, and why not? Beautiful weather and good baseball. Yes, they showed the NBA guys you mentioned plus Tebow, and there was debate on Twitter how whether Tebow got booed or cheered. I wasn’t all that interested. I’m glad you mentioned the defense; it was stellar. From A-Rod to Cano to Tex, it was impressive. The only one who gave me pause was Granderson. Some of those routes to the ball were baffling and costly.

Haha, Audrey. I did get my 10-fer and I was thrilled. While I agree that Nova has been solid for the most part (except in spring training), I’d still go with CC every time. Talk about a grinder. Even without his best stuff, he gives you innings and Nova isn’t there yet.

Thank you, one & all, for the exquisitely detailed postings. When you can’t see the game (yes, it was on national TV, but it was also Greek Easter)…after reading all this, who needs to?!?

Glad they scored a LOT (esp. after Saturday’s debacle)…want to look past The Twinkies, but as Ms. She-Fan knows all to well, that is always a dangerous thing to do. Who’d expect the Rays, who swept N.Y. and were playing well, to go up to Beantown (where they weren’t) and get swept?? Thanx 4 nothin’ once again, Tampa…

On Fire with SuperNova, and No Phaith in Phil? Yeah, I’m there too. Always luv CC, despite my wife’s constant harangue that “He’s Too FAT!” Well, he has company with me. Say la vee, sigh, and play on…

You missed a fun one, Dave.

9. Melissa says:

I agree with your wife Dave. Not that I care if CC is fat if he’s pitching well, but he hasn’t looked great (yet! – may I eat my words!) and extra weight puts pressure on knees.

Speaking of weight, I had a real laugh when Tex stole second! He said he took off 10 lbs, so he must be feeling light on his feet!

And Jeter is proving everyone who doubted him last season wrong and I hope he continues doing so.

Great game, great weather!

As always, YankeeCase (Eddie) love to hear your on the scene reports.

10. YankeeCase says:

Well Jane, Melissa, and everyone else, let me end this very important debate I know is held so dear to each and every one of you… Tim Tebow was both booed and cheered! lol… ;D

As we all know, most New York Football Giants fans are also Yankee fans, but there were a few Jets fans in there as well, so there was some applause for him. Meh…

11. Sean K says:

I have no issues with Tebow, YankeeCase. He’s a very kindhearted man and the Tebow Foundation is doing wonders for underprivileged children.

And i agree with you, Mrs. Jackie Robinson looked amazingly sprightly. What her husband had to deal with… thankfully that era is past.

It certainly is nice that the team can score without having to bomb one. But i will admit it’s also awesome to see a blast or two [gotta love Ibanez’s rocket launcher.] I couldn’t help when he hit that one but think of Major League, where the Yankee slugger [if memory serves, the character’s name in the movie was Heywood] launched a cannon shot and the announcer says something like, “Heywood swings and crushes one towards South America! Tomlinson’s goona need a visa to catch that one. It is out of here and there ain’t nothing left but a vapor trail!”

Well, onwards to bigger and better things. Time to stomp the Twins!

12. John says:

Haven’t been able to comment lately due to time spent with very ill mother. Nursing homes suck.

Just wanted to let Yankee fans know about the app to get good ring tones and message notification tones for android.

Zedge is the app site.

Got the Yankee theme song for phone ring and the “ding dong ding dong” for message notice. Good “Holy Cow” options as well.

So sorry to hear about your mother, John. I wish I had a copy of my caregiver book for you and other family members, but it doesn’t come out until October. Meanwhile, please take care of your own health. And thanks for the info about the ringtones app.