Baseball Can Be A Cold Business

April 4th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Yes, it was heartwarming to see Andy Pettitte pitch a scoreless inning, but for Cervelli the game and its aftermath wasn’t much fun. After he hit a homer against the Mets, he was informed that he was being optioned to AAA.

I thought he had the backup catcher job locked up and so, apparently, did he. It seems the job will now go to somebody named Chris Stewart, newly acquired from the Giants for George Kontos.

Photo: Alex Gallardo/AP

Poor Cisco. He’s had – what? – like 10 concussions by now? He hasn’t always been the greatest catcher, no question, but he deserved to stay in the bigs if you ask me, which nobody is.

Oh well.

After tomorrow’s workout at the evil Trop, the season will kick off there against the Rays and all will be right with the world.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Baseball Can Be A Cold Business”

1. Freya says:

First, l want to say that it was so wonderful seeing Andy on the mound again.
    And then the news about Cervelli. At first I didn’t believe it, and I guess he was shocked too. I don’t think it was a good move, and I hope that he will be back soon.
    Also, I just read that Montero is injured.
    But the really good news is that baseball is back!

2. SBlue says:

Happy to see Andy on the mound despite a somewhat ok inning. Wasn’t perfect but at least it was scoreless. About Cisco, I’m just shocked and I too thought he had it locked up. He’ll come back sometime later I’m sure. Is Justin Maxwell in the roster? Shame if he’s left out cause he killed in ST.

I guess the rationale for sending Cervelli down, Freya, is that Romine is hurt so Cervelli will help out in Triple-A – and that if anything happens to Martin he can be called up right away. I had no idea Montero was hurt. Lots of injuries this spring.

Andy was about as good as can be expected, SBlue. He hit his spots but only got into the 80s on the gun. He needs time to build up arm strength and stamina and I wouldn’t think he’d be ready to join the team until late May or maybe June. I’m with you on Maxwell. He was great this spring, but there was no room for him unless I’m missing something.

4. Freya says:

Cervelli was sent down because the catcher that they traded for could not be sent to the minors.

Makes sense, Freya. I feel sorry for Cervelli though.

6. YankeeCase says:

That news really had me shaking my head, Jane… I think there must be something else at hand here. I mean, if you like Cervy so much, why not trade for someone with options and send him down instead? Or maybe it was all they could get? Geesh….

And last I saw, Montero was hit by a pitch in the back of the head/helmet. Looked pretty bad. I imagine that’s the reason he’s out.

Maybe they don’t like Cerv so much, YankeeCase. After all, they had that Molina guy too and still went out and got the guy from the Giants. Cerv isn’t a great defensive catcher, like Romine, but pitchers like CC were happy to pitch to him. I’m sure we’ll see him back up if Martin needs a break. Ouch on Montero. I hope he doesn’t have a concussion.

8. Ruth says:

Happy Opening Day, everyone! Bummer news about Cervelli. Of course we don’t know what these players are really like, but I have always liked Cervelli…he seems to be such an intense competitor who plays with so much heart. Unfortunately his bat has never been as big as his heart. Hopefully he’ll be back!

Same to you, Ruth, although I won’t officially be celebrating until tomorrow’s first pitch! Yes, Cervelli is an intense kid and I too hope he’ll be back soon. Sounds like he’s determined to be back.

Nothing more to add today to what’s been said…but I just gotta commend you for calling it “the evil Trop.” Tampa continues to be a Chamber of Horrors for all my sports teams, Trop or elsewhere — the sooner they’re outa there, the better…