Now That Pettitte Mania Has Subsided…

March 18th, 2012 by Jane Heller

I guess it’s appropriate to wonder what Andy’s return will mean for the rest of the starters – IF he shows he can still pitch after the long absence.

Kuroda has already been penciled in as the #2 starter, and both he and Hughes had their best outings of the spring this past week. Nova hasn’t pitched well yet but he’s earned a job with his past performances. Pineda is still somewhat of an unknown quantity, but the Yankees didn’t trade for him to keep him in the minors. If anyone’s on the bubble, it would probably be Garcia.

Or not.

Would the Yankees send Hughes to the pen? Not unless he gets into that familiar rut where he nibbles and takes forever to get hitters out and racks up high pitch counts by the third inning. He didn’t come to camp in better shape so he could be banished to the pen, I’m sure.

Very confusing situation. But here’s what I hope doesn’t happen: a six-man rotation.

It would be insane to take guys out of their normal routines – especially CC – just to accommodate Pettitte.

And then there’s the upcoming Clemens trial; Andy will have to leave the team to testify. So for the foreseeable future, the issue won’t have to be resolved and everybody can hang on to their current jobs.

Speaking of the Clemens trial, does anybody care at this point? It feels like it should have happened already. I hate that Andy will get dragged into the he said/he said nonsense.

But it could be worse. We could be Mets fans having to watch their owners on trial. I’m old enough to remember when Steinbrenner was kicked out of baseball for being a bad boy, but the Wilpons’ mess is truly gruesome.

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Now That Pettitte Mania Has Subsided…”

1. new yawk lover says:

It’s clear to me now that I need to rededicate myself to a daily reading of this blog. Between this being the opening weekend for both F1 Gran Prix racing in Australia,and the American professional motorcycle roadracing series at Daytona, The 12 Hours of Sebring sports car event, and the NCAA hoops madness, this is the very first I’ve learned about Andy Pettitte’s return. This is huge news,a most exciting development. How out of the loop can one be? This marks my return to the fold.

(while I’m confessing,about neglecting my Yankee duties, I also watched the peerless Roger Federer win the BNP Paribas tennis title at Indian Wells this weekend over all the usual suspects that play the Slams!)

2. Jeff says:

The only thing that would make it more confusing right now is a Roger Clemens reemergence. It could happen. Suzyn Waldman would need to be sedated for the rest of the season though. The Yanks’ rotation now has some questions, definitely. Now we’re back to the Yankees I know: DRAMA!

There are only so many hours in the day, NYL, but how could you not hear about Pettitte?! Don’t they have the sports news on the crawl of every sporting event these days? (Loved that Roger won the tournament. He was due.)

Having too much pitching is the kind of drama I can live with, Jeff. The Clemens case? Not so much. You’re right about Suzyn though; if they’d announced in the middle of a game during the season that Andy Pettitte had returned, she would have needed sedation! (Btw, I can’t comment on your site these days. MLB keeps telling me to log in, because I have two WordPress accounts, and I keep trying but eventually give up. Sorry about that. I’m reading your posts though.)

4. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans ….

It’s been soooooooooooooo long (I think Christmas) since I wrote on the blog but I have a very good reason …my daughter’s wedding is this Friday and we have been on the go for the final few months. Needless to say I’m very excited and can’t wait for the BIG DAY !!! Right after the wedding is my NEXT Big Day….Yankee Baseball !!!! I have my tickets for Opening Day at the Stadium …YAY !!! How crazy is it that Andy’s back??? I have to admit …deep down inside I always thought he would return in 2012. It just seemed like he left that door open after he retired with some of the comments he made. He loves competing and I’m sure he was missing it big time. Hopefully Mo takes the hint that staying home isn’t all it’s cracked up to be especiallywhen you still have something left in the tank. I can’t even think of a ninth inning without Enter Sandman blasting and Mo jogging in to the roar of the crowd.

I’m very excited with this team although I did feel bad when they traded Montero but I keep thinking that just when he hits his prime he’ll be a free agent and we can hopefully snag him back again… :o). Stranger things have happened …right? I really hope Michael Pineta comes through big time in the Big Apple to take the sting out of losing Jesus.

Well ..have to run. I just wanted to say I’m still alive and kicking. I read the blog EVERY day because I love Jane’s posts and the people who comment here. I truly enjoy reading whatever each and everyone has to say…so keep up the good work.

Here’s to the start of the season and a 28th Yankee Championship !!!

Go Yankees 2012…

Very exciting about your daughter’s wedding, Peggy. You must be in countdown mode, so thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I’m sure it’ll be a beautiful occasion and we want to hear all about it, including what the mother of the bride wore! Have fun and here’s to the bride and groom!

6. Barbara says:

Nova may need to go to the minors if he continues to no va

Nova has not looked good so far, Barbara. I guess his last two innings the other night were OK, but he hasn’t inspired confidence yet.

8. Melissa says:

Have a great time at the wedding Peggy!

Hey Jane, my son just came home from a class he is taking. His professor had just gone to Florida to visit his sick father. Guess who he sat next to on the plane? MARIANO and his son! And they were flying Jet Blue!!! He said Mariano was very nice and his son was very well-mannered and spoke very nicely to the guy.
    Now THAT is a dream flight – 3 hours with Mariano!

OMG, Melissa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m a Jet Blue passenger whenever I fly east, but now I will never choose any other airline on the off-chance I’ll get as lucky as your son’s professor! I don’t know what I would do if I spent three hours on a flight with Mo! I’d have someone to pray with whenever the plane hit turbulence, that’s for sure. A dream flight is right.