Poor A.J.’s Eye

March 1st, 2012 by Jane Heller

I never thought I’d have to use this photo for AJ as a Pittsburgh Pirate. Sigh.

When I read about his accident yesterday, I felt sorry for him. There he was at the Pirates’ training camp, having said how happy he was to be back in the National League so he could bat again, when he bunts a ball right smack into his eye. And now comes word he’s having surgery. Another sigh.

Burnett to undergo surgery for orbital fracture
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH, Pa. – Pirates pitcher A.J. Burnett will undergo surgery on Friday to repair a fractured right orbital bone.

The right-hander injured himself on Wednesday at the team’s spring training facilities in Bradenton, Fla. after a bunt attempt caromed off his face. He flew to Pittsburgh late Wednesday to be further evaluated.

There is no immediate timetable for Burnett’s return.

Not an auspicious start for him.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Poor A.J.’s Eye”

1. Jeff says:

The way I see it, just another day in Pirates Land. Yikes!

2. YankeeCase says:

Ha! And I just came back to this site to ask if you heard about this! Guess now we know how he got that black eye the first time around, huh? (rimshot!)

He was their starter for Opening Day, Jeff. At least I think he was. I feel sorry for him and those long-suffering fans. And I’m glad it didn’t happen while he was a Yankee!

Guess he should have swung away, YankeeCase. Bunting is an art.

4. John says:

The story about AJ the other day was interesting. To get his #34 to wear, he started a college fund for the new baby of the other Pirate that had the number last year. Rumor is he put $25,000 in the account. Its Yankee money but it was a classey gesture.

It was a classy gesture, John. The Yankees always said what a good teammate he was, so that part was never in doubt. Now if only he could have pitched consistently.

6. Emma says:

I first read it from Matt who is a Pirate fan and I could not believe it. He posted on twitter. My God! what a freaky accident. Feel bad for him and the Pirates. Matt was so happy to have AJ.

Aw, poor Matt, Emma. I remember him from MLBlogs days. Those Pirate fans have fortitude, I’ll give them that.