They’re Baaaack

February 19th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Matt Slocum / AP

Today was the day. No, Mo hasn’t shown up yet in Tampa – Cashman said The God Of Closers will get there when he gets there, as always – but spring training officially began for pitchers, catchers and the ultra-dedicated like Jeter.

What does the future have in store for the Yankees in 2012? Who knows? But with the additions (and subtractions) that were made to the pitching staff, I’m feeling pretty hopeful – provided my wishes come true.

Here are some of those wishes:

1. CC will get off to a good start and not fade in the second half.
  2. Pineda will flourish in pinstripes. Kuroda too.
  3. Nova will prove last year wasn’t a fluke.
  4. Hughes will rebound and make me eat my words.
  5. A-Rod will not be useless, but rather will hit the *^&% out of the ball.
  6. Whoever wins the DH job (Ibanez, I guess) will actually bolster the lineup.
  7. Tex will reverse his offensive slide and figure out how to beat the shift.
  8. Jeter will play as if he’s 28.
  9. Joba will recover from surgery and throw heat.
  10. D-Rob will keep up the Houdini act only without giving me heart attacks.
  11. EVERYONE WILL STAY HEALTHY.

I have lots more wishes (I hope Pettitte will put in an appearance as a coach, since he’s been invited), but those will do for now. I’m just glad the boys are back.

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “They’re Baaaack”

1. Paul says:

Great wishes, Jane! I also wish the Yanks will play great baseball in the Subway Series in June, cause I’ll move my italian butt and go to the Bronx to see those 3 games :D :D I’m already excited!

Btw, how cute are those first pics of our boys training at the camp!!?!? AWWWWWW!!!! <3

You’re going to the first Subway Series, Paul? That’s exciting! And yes, the first glimpse of the boys in Tampa is a treat that never gets old.

3. Paul says:

Ohh, yes, Jane :D I hope we’ll already lead the Division by that time :)

If half of your Wish List (well, six, esp. #11) comes true…guess we should be happy…but which half?
    Aye, that’s the rub…

5. John says:

Are you going to make it to Tampa. You didn’t seem to thinks so a while back.

6. Jeff says:

Good list there! Hope all those things come true for you. I’m psyched myself! It’s like the baseball internets just blew up with excitement over the weekend. Woo hoo!

#11 is certainly a biggie, Dave. We just never know how the health/injury thing will play out and that’s always a little scary.

Nope. No Tampa for me this spring, John. I’ll live vicariously through your reports.

You’re right, Jeff. Everybody suddenly started getting emails from MLB about renewing their subscriptions and the players started showing up in camp, and it’s all beginning again. Yay.

8. Freya says:

It’s so exciting having baseball back and I am very happy. I watched “Miked Up” last night on NBC and Joe Girardi was interviewed. The newspapers are talking baseball too. It felt so good to be talking about the new baseball season. Spring is in its way!!!! Your wish list is very good Jane.

9. Freya says:

Raul Ibanez is now a Yankee!

10. margaret says:

I’m looking forward to 2012 baseball. YIPEE it’s finally here.

I did have a good giggle when I read that AJ felt so relieved and happy to be out of NY!!
    He seemed to place blame on his troubles on having to listen to everyone on NYY telling him how to pitch- if they had let him pitch his way he would have been just fine.
    Well I say good riddance into obscurity….err I mean Pittsburgh.

I wish I could get excited about Ibanez, Freya, but I would rather have had Damon. And I hope Ibanez’s signing doesn’t preclude the Yankees re-upping with Chavez.

I’m not surprised AJ said that stuff, Peg. I’m sure he did feel “tinkered with.” And he’ll definitely have less scrutiny now, so I can see why he’d be relieved.

12. Deborah says:

From your mouth to God’s ears, Jane!!! I’d be happy with 6 out of 10 of your wishes.