Other Suitors For AJ?

February 14th, 2012 by Jane Heller

According to the YES web site, that’s the case.

As discussions heat up between the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Yankees about A.J. Burnett, reports have surfaced that there are apparently at least two other teams interested in his services.
FOXSports.com senior writer Ken Rosenthal Tweeted this morning that according to his sources, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are interested in Burnett, but that scenario would be highly unlikely; A.J. has a limited no-trade clause that can block deals to 10 teams – one of which is the Angels – and he prefers to stay east.

Later, CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman tweeted that the Cleveland Indians have also checked in, with the Indians potentially willing to send designated hitter Travis Hafner and his $13 million salary to New York for Burnett.

Despite the swirling rumors, the Pirates are still optimistic they can get a deal done for Burnett, who makes his off-season home in northern Maryland.

Why the Angels would want him I can’t guess. They already got C.J. Wilson and have other arms in their rotation. And they rarely do business with the Yankees.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Other Suitors For AJ?”

1. John says:

Hafner deal would be interesting. He could provide a nice DH option but that would give Burnett the opportinity to face the Yankees one or two times and he WILL drill one of our players for sure. Best choice is to ship him to NL if possible so he can’t get lucky against us like he did in Toronto or he can’t hurt anyone with an NY on their chest.

I thought so too about Hafner, John, but then I read that the Indians had taken him off the table. And you’re right – better for the Yanks to have AJ in the NL. Better for him too, since he wouldn’t have to deal with the AL East’s lineups. I just wish they’d do the deal already. It would be awkward for him to report to camp in a few days, only to have to turn around and fly somewhere else.

3. Emma says:

How about the Mets? Probably no dinero.

We collected a lot of food bags and other items from the Dodgers Blogs softball tournament. Josh Macciello was also playing. He was in full Dodger uniform. Josh is/was one of the prospective Dodger bidders but he was eliminated. He said he is not giving up. Macciello made a $5,000 donation to the cause of the Dodger Bloggers tournament, the Los Angeles Regional Food bank.
    Emma

The AJ-Pirates deal is supposedly happening within hours, Emma – unless it hits a snag. I do hope the Dodgers will have new ownership soon, so the team has stability moving forward into the season.

5. Jeff says:

I think this is just the kind of drama that follows Burnett everywhere he goes: Drama for the sake of drama.

It’s not his fault that the two teams haven’t come to terms, Jeff. I agree that he brings drama wherever he goes, but I don’t think we can pin this one on him.

7. Emma says:

Jane, I am so sad to hear Gary Carter has passed away. I watched him play since he was with the Expos.
    Rest in peace Gary.
    -Emma

I’m sad too, Emma. He was a class act who always wore a smile. Great catcher too.