Someone Actually Stalked Cashman?

February 2nd, 2012 by Jane Heller

It’s not uncommon for the players to have groupie issues, but apparently the Yankees GM has been embroiled in a mess of his own, according to Yahoo Sports and elsewhere. He’s not my idea of a heartthrob, but he’s got a nice payroll….

NEW YORK (AP)—A woman stalked and shook down New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, getting him to pay her $6,000 and demanding more by threatening to harm his reputation, prosecutors said Thursday.

The case represents “a long-term effort to control and manipulate the victim,” Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Eric Iverson told a judge as Louise Neathway, 36, was arraigned on grand larceny, stalking and harassment charges.

Her lawyers said Cashman had had “an inappropriate relationship” with Neathway, a medical sales worker and single mother of a 14-year-old daughter, and he turned on her when it ended badly.

“The Manhattan district attorney’s office bought his account of how this happened, hook, line and sinker,” lawyer Stephen G. McCarthy said. He and fellow Neathway lawyer Alan M. Abramson said Neathway denied the allegations.

Cashman said through spokesman Chris Giglio that he is “very grateful that this matter is in the hands of law enforcement.”

The Yankees declined to comment.

Neathway—who has a history of arrests on similar charges, prosecutors said — sometimes called and texted Cashman more than 10 times a night and threatened to harm someone he knew, prosecutors said.

After he told her last April that he didn’t want to talk to her anymore and even changed his contact information to avoid her, she asked him to pay for a $15,000-plus medical procedure and threatened to contact the press and his family with claims that would hurt his personal relationships and professional standing, according to a court complaint.

In response, he put $6,000 into two of her bank accounts Jan. 18 and tried again to extricate himself, but she instead demanded more money for operations, the complaint said.

A British native who also goes by Louise Meanwell, Neathway has a record that goes back to a 1998 trespassing arrest in North Carolina, Iverson told a judge. She’s still on probation stemming from a 2008 trespassing conviction in a New Jersey case that involved allegations of stalking and sending someone as many as 200 text messages in a weekend, and she has an open 2010 Manhattan harassment case, Iverson said.

McCarthy noted in court that the Manhattan case had been put on track to be dismissed, and he suggested prosecutors were making too much of the New Jersey case.

As for the current case, “it would be unfair to all of the parties involved to speculate about what occurred,” he and Abramson said in a written statement.

Neathway was being held on $300,000 bond. Her next court date is Tuesday.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Someone Actually Stalked Cashman?”

1. John says:

Sounds like a lot more to come about this eituation. I withhold further comment until more come out. Beside, pitchers and catchers in very few days!

2. Jeff says:

Perhaps a name change would help him… like Iaintgotnocashman.

A few months ago, John, I read on Deadspin that he’d been caught in a compromising situation in a Tampa hotel room. I just figured, Oh, well. Naughty boy. But I guess it’s turned into a bit of a Fatal Attraction.

How about just changing his name to Nocashman, Jeff!

4. Ruth says:

Wow! Another case of the ‘little man’ getting the ‘big man’ in trouble…..when will men ever learn??? This woman sounds like a nut-job (pun intended) for sure, but since the CashMan parted with some $$$ at one point, he’s obviously done something nutty himself. Too bad being the GM for the greatest sports organization in the world, and making a ton-o-cash is still not enough for this guy…he had to go and fraternize with the ‘wrong woman.’ Apparently he needs to go to Derek Jeter’s course on How To Get Along With Women with Minimal Fallout…

It kind of explains all that free time he’s been spending rappeling down buildings and bartending at events, Ruth. I guess he and his wife have been separated. But this woman sounds like a total nut job!

6. Jeff says:

Nocashman works, but Iaintgotno in front of it makes me feel better. Must be my redneckian roots ;-)

Got it, Jeff. Okay, your name for him is better!

8. John says:

Now, on to whats really important. Are you ready for some BASEBALL!

I know I am.

9. Leo says:

Definitely ready for baseball. Giants won so this will ease the last couple months of waiting for real baseball so for now I will enjoy the moment with my friends and family that are also Giant fans. I definitely hope that the Yankees win it all this year to make this a fantastic year for NY sports but that’s getting way too ahead of myself. Jane, did you watch any of the Super Bowl and wasn’t your husband a Giant fan?

Sorry about your Patriots, John. Sort of.

See my latest post, Leo. I answer your question about the Super Bowl. (Yup, he’s a Giants fan.)