Well, we knew after the last game of the 2011 season that Jorge would be emotional…
And while he got through the beginning of his press conference at Yankee Stadium today without choking up, he did shed a tear (as did I) when he spoke about his parents.
A few random thoughts as I watched the proceedings:
- I’ll miss Jorge a lot, obviously. He’ll always be a True Yankee. Even Jason Varitek said so. (Check out boston.com. I don’t have the link handy.)
- Mrs. Munson was the essence of grace and dignity, and I loved her speech.
- I was glad the Steinbrenners showed up.
- Jeter looked like he’d been hit by a truck; I thought he’d cry for sure.
- Mo was dapper in one of those Italian suits he wears in the magazine ads.
- Where was Andy?
- I couldn’t believe one of the writers asked if Jorge would be making a comeback. LOL.
- They really should have done the presser with subtitles for those of us who don’t speak/understand Spanish.
- There’s no way not to cry during the retirement announcement of a great Yankee. No way at all.