Holy S*%T! John Was Right! (With A P.S.)

January 13th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Friend of the Blog John urged me to have patience that we’d be getting a starting pitcher, and tonight comes breaking news that he was right.

However, there’s good news and bad news regarding this news.

The good news is that we got Mariners superstar-in-waiting Michael Pineda.

He’s not Felix (the Mariners said no) but he’s a highly-touted young righty who filled in for Verlander at last year’s All Star game and is supposed to be a stud. He could solidify our rotation for years to come if he stays healthy.

(We also got a pitching prospect named Jose Campos.)

Now here’s the bad news. We gave up Montero and Noesi.

I figured the organization wasn’t high on Jesus since they’ve tried to include him in trades before. He’s not a great catcher and we’ve got better ones. Plus, the DH slot will be crowded with our veteran players. Still, he was a homegrown kid and I was rooting for him to make it big in the Bronx.

And I thought Noesi had real potential as a starter at some point, so I’m sad to see him go too.

But you can’t have everything as a fan, and overall I’m stoked about this deal.

P.S. No sooner did I post this entry than I heard we also signed Hiroki Kuroda to a one-year deal.

Obviously, Hal opened his wallet a little wider…..

Tags: , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Holy S*%T! John Was Right! (With A P.S.)”

1. Freya says:

I am very surprised that they traded Montero.

2. Ruth says:

I’m also surprised Montero is gone…but obviously the front office knows best….WOW!

Very surprising about Montero, Freya and Ruth, except that he’s been used as a bargaining chip before so the organization must have felt he was expendable for the right pitcher. While he’s a genuine offensive star, his catching skills are suspect and we already have Martin, Cervelli and Romine. I would love to have watched him mature, but I felt the same way about Austin Jackson and now I’m glad we got Granderson. These trades always have a bittersweet aspect to them and this one certainly does.

4. YankeeCase says:

HOLY…, WHAT THE-?, JESUS…!!, HUZZUH?, QUA?! !!O_o!!

YankeeCase! You’re alive!

6. YankeeCase says:

Haha! It takes big moves to get me out of hibernation…! lol

I was waiting to make a comeback on Posada’s pending retirement once it’s all official and after a press conference (the answer to the big question is :”yes, he’s a hall of famer”. and i have the numbers to prove it!), but I couldn’t wait to make noise after hearing this!

7. Paul says:

Omg!!
    Anyway, I don’t even know how to comment this…..but now I wonder who’s gonna be our DH (beside our veterans)

8. Paul says:

Omg!!
    I don’t even know how to comment this….
    Anyway, now I wonder who’s gonna be our DH (beside our veterans)

9. Paul says:

*sorry for the double post, Jane!*

10. John says:

TA DA!

Love it or hate it Cashman did what he needed to do. I looked forward to Montero in the Bronx but the bigger picture (pitcher) was the goal and I like what we got.

In case I have gained believers, I think another move is a real possibility.

11. Barbara says:

Wow. I have been hyper since I heard last night. I hope we do not regret this since montero will likely be a superstar. I am scared to get excited because I still remember being excited about Jeff weaver, singing dream weaver over and over much to the chagrin of my red sox man. But pineda has serious potential and kuroda for one year is just the ticket. So while I am excited my question is if they can handle the new York, east coast craziness?
    Wow

12. Melissa says:

The title of this post made me laugh because those were almost my exact words when I read the headline on the huffington post. I even wondered if I could write the word “s#%t” on this blog!

What is up with the Yankees, trading for a YOUNG pitcher????? Cool!

I am sad that Montero is gone, but I do like complete players, especially when they are young, and he was lacking in the field. I really didn’t want the Yankees to have an Edgar Martinez.

So, for me the question is, will they keep Pineda from injury. Al Leiter once said “everyone” has Tommy John surgery.

As for the DH . . . hmmmm, if Hank’s purse is opening up more, could we have a Prince of NY??

This trade was especially interesting for me today because we watched “Moneyball” last night. Great movie, but the opening scenes made me forget my New Year’s Resolution to not wish my life away by longing for baseball!

John, I bow to your insider knowledge!

Glad you emerged from hibernation, YankeeCase. I didn’t realize you were waiting for Posada’s announcement. I still don’t know when that will be, because now it’ll be overshadowed by the big trade. He’ll have to give it until after the big press conference where we see Pineda in pinstripes and find out if he needs a translator.

I agree with John and Melissa, Paul. I suspect there will be a DH acquired. The veterans will need to rotate into that spot (Jeter, A-Rod, Jones, plus Tex and Swisher on occasion). Will Prince Fielder take less money and fewer years to come to New York? He’s been on the market awhile. But there may be a lower cost option.

True about Cashman, John. But I have a feeling Hal’s meeting with Boras about Jackson suggested that, as with the Soriano signing, the Steinbrenners were saying, “We need to do something.” The ghost of George lives on. I know, I know. It was a trade, not a big free agent signing, but I think the boys in Tampa were as impatient as I was.

Don’t even think about Jeff Weaver and Javier Vazquez and all the other duds, Barbara. No, we don’t know if Pineda will thrive in New York, but he can’t be worse than AJ, can he? Looking at his record, he had rookie problems and his ERA skyrocketed later in the season, but he struck out a lot of hitters and was probably on an innings limit, and the Mariners are a tough team to win games for, given their lack of hitting. So my feeling is he’ll love being a Yankee and getting run support. Kuroda is a nice insurance policy but I don’t expect a miracle. He’s never pitched outside the NL West. He’ll have a rude awakening when he sees the offense in our league. But he can battle it out with Garcia to see who can get the job done better.

You could absolutely write “shit” on this blog, Melissa. I just thought it would be a funnier headline if I used the fake word. And those were absolutely the words I said too when I read about the trade on twitter early last night. There were little bits and pieces of it coming out from John Heyman and Jack Curry and it was so much fun finding out and seeing people’s reactions. Michael said the same thing about the Tommy John surgery about five minutes after we heard about the trade, and I said, “Shhhhhh.” Let’s hope we don’t face that possibility. Loved “Moneyball.” Brad was super good in it.

14. Leo says:

I’ve discussed with other fans on other sites and blogs that insisted that Montero should be traded only for a true ace (Felix obviously, Lincecum, Johnson, Hamels, Verlander, etc). Montero alone or headlining a package with lower level prospects would have never been enough for Felix or the others. It would have taken most of our top prospects and a major league player to boot for Felix. That’s too much to pay. Pineda is comparable or better than the pitchers that were available. He is still young enough to learn and improve from his great rookie season and he’s under team control for a little while. I will miss Montero. I always root for homegrown players and he may turn out to be special but it’s for the best. Just hope that he can limit his fly balls as that can mean bad news at the Stadium. Patience is always key Jane. We could’ve given up a fortune for Gio, Latos, even Danks (although that was just Kenny going way over his head and I doubt the Yankees would’ve taken the bait). Pineda only cost Montero and Noesi and we got an apparently very good pitching prospect in Jose Campos. This is a trade that should be a winner for both teams barring something like injuries or not performing to their expectations.

15. Kathleen says:

Hi Jane!
    Happy New Year, and WOW! Just finally wandered over to the computer and saw this news. I am actually excited about this trade. By trading for good pitching instead of purchasing the ok pitching on the market, Cashman has saved money for when Hamels and Hamilton are available next year. I really liked Montero, but we already have two good catchers and PLENTY of DHs. At least we know Cashman is alive!

Well said, Leo. It was a good trade for both teams. I’ll miss Montero too – what the possibilities were for him in the Bronx – but I’m hoping that with good coaching and the confidence that he doesn’t have to win 2-1 games every time out, Pinero will mature into an ace-like starter for us, barring injuries. Campos sounds like a find too.

Happy New Year to you, Kathleen. Yes, Cashman is alive and kicking! Better late than never.

17. Juan says:

Now that the Yankees have traded Montero for pitching, I would imagine the Yankees make some kind of push for Cuban phenom Yoenis Cespedes… Or at least I hope they do! There’s a lot of hype surrounding him, and the Yankees could use a talented young player with lots of potential.

I doubt we’ll see the Cuban phenom in the Bronx, Juan. Hal Steinbrenner would really have to open his wallet for that signing, plus we have our outfield set unless there’s a trade. There’s definitely a lot of hype about the kid though.

19. John says:

Anyone interested in Johnny Damon? I’m really not but it could happen. I would like to see Jorge Vasquez get a shot at some DH time. He can hit.

As I said a couple of days ago, something else is in the works.

Love to see Giants and my Patriots in Super Bowl!

I’m with you on the Damon-Vasquez-DH issue, John. I’d rather have the masher than a guy who’s at the end of his career and, while perfect for the short porch in right field, may not have the competitive fire he used to, not to mention the skills.

21. jane says:

I nearly gave my 15yr old son a heart attack when he told me of the trade on Friday night my outburst was so excessive. I was furious–I had fallen in love with that baby face of Montero’s in a few short weeks last fall and his potential. Now that I’ve had the chance to calm down and ready the rational, thoughtful posts of other fans, I can rest easy tonight. Yes it did make sense and all will be well in YankeeLand. There’s a reason that I’m not the GM–OK, maybe a couple reasons!

22. jane says:

I loved Damon–wouldn’t mind at all seeing him back in pinstripes for another season.

I think a lot of fans freaked out about Montero, Jane. It’s a tough business saying goodbye to a player with such talent, but let’s hope it’ll pay off with great pitching. I’m less enthusiastic about Damon, because I’d like to see us go younger, but if it happens I won’t be upset.

24. Guido says:

I agree– I’m also a bit luke-warm on the Damon option. What do folks think about bringing back Matsui instead???? I always thought he had a lot of class while he was here, and that he’d be great for some “porch shots” in right, as well!

Matsui is total class, Guido. I loved having him. But can he still catch up to a wicked fastball? Not sure. At least Damon can play left field if necessary. The Yankees don’t see Matsui as a defensive option.

26. Melissa says:

I just realized that I would love to have been a fly on the wall at Austin RomIne’s house when he found out about this deal!

27. Jeff says:

I like this trade. I think Cashman cements his cunning baseball acumen with this deal. I think both these pitchers are going to be All-Stars someday.

Haha, Melissa. A lot of people seem to think Romine will stay in Triple A for now, with Martin and Cervelli catching in the majors, but we’ll see.

I sure hope you’re right, Jeff.

29. Emma says:

HI Jane,
    Kuroda-san is a good pitcher. He had some hard luck with the Dodgers last year with lack of run support. He is a warrior too. You got a good guy there. I wish him the best. Thanks for the Dodger memories Kuroda-san. I’ll miss seeing you warm up in the bullpen and his pitching. I still remember when he gave us a scare when he got hit by a line drive in the forehead.

Hi, Emma. I remember when Kuroda was hit in the head. Such a scary moment, but thankfully he was ok. I also remember you saying what a good pitcher he was with the Dodgers, so I’m sure he’ll be a warrior for the Yankees too.

31. Freya says:

The Good News of the Day: ONE MONTH UNTIL PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT!!!!!!

An interesting perspective:

“I completely understand the Mariners’ need/desire to beef up their terrible offense, but I’m still not a big fan of the Michael Pineda-Jesus Montero trade. For one thing, it violates the cardinal rule of trading — never, never, never, never, NEVER deal with the Yankees. The prospects they offer are almost always overhyped. Next, the Yankees are the strongest team in baseball. Helping them just hurts everyone’s chances in the long term. If New York needs a player, let the Steinbrenners add him the old-fashioned way by signing him to an obscene contract that puts them in the luxury tax category.” — Jim Caple, espn.com

Hard to believe, isn’t it, Freya? But it’s just around the corner. Btw, did you send me a friend request on Facebook? I got one from “Freya” but there was no other info so I didn’t know if it was you.

There’s no cardinal rule of trading with the Yankees (or not trading with them), Dave. This guy is blowing smoke. The Mariners have benefited in the past and will likely benefit now. Just silliness.

34. Spazgoesyard says:

Loved Montero, but he was slower that Tex carrying Martin on his back. Very happy we got a couple of pitchers, but my issue is we still have Rothschild. Could bring in the five best starters ever and good ol’ Larry would mess that up in a heartbeat. I wish the front office would have tossed A.J. instead of Dave Eiland after he gave A.J. that shiner.

I haven’t heard a lot of pushback about Rothschild, Spaz, and I never thought Eiland was especially effective. But I agree about AJ. He’s so frustrating.

36. Spazgoesyard says:

Being a Yankee fan in Chicago I used to laugh at all my friends when we would see Larry walking to the mound. Heck, I heckled Larry for stretching out in the bullpen one night in Milwaukee. Then, my beloved Yankees gave him a contract, I cried myself to sleep that night, woke up in the fetal position and have had a hard time getting out of it since.

You obviously have had a closer look at him than I have, Spaz, but the Yankees seem to think he’s pretty good – at least publicly.

38. Freya says:

Jane, yes, the friend request was from me

Glad you told me, Freya. I’ll be sure to “friend” you.