Oh, Brian

December 22nd, 2011 by Jane Heller

nomaas.org

With only a couple of days until Christmas, I thought I’d check in with this blog one more time to:

#1 Wish everybody a very Merry.

#2 Express my bewilderment at Cashman’s off-season “strategy.”

To elaborate, the Yankees GM said starting pitching was a priority and yet he’s done nothing except re-sign Sweaty Freddy. Puzzling? It is to me.

Today’s report was that he likes Kuroda but doesn’t have the money. Excuse me? The Yankees don’t have the money?

We’ve seen Darvish, Wilson, Buehrle, and now Gio Gonzalez land with teams. Yes, there’s Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt, but nobody expects the Yankees to go after them (with good reason).

So where does that leave us?

Right – with an empty Christmas stocking.

I just hope Hector Noesi turns out to be the second coming of Ivan Nova.

Merry Merry.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Oh, Brian”

1. John says:

There is no finer gift than to be able to enjoy the world of Yankee Fandom. We must all take a step back now and then and realize what we have and be grateful for those who have made it possible. Other than the Steinbrenner family, we owe no one more respect than Brian Cashman for what he has given us over the past ten plus years. I trust him and still say with a high degree of confidence that something will be happening soon. I have said this for a while now and I am confident it will happen.

I would like to wish you Jane and all the wonderful people on this site the happiest of Holidays and the brightest of New Years.

2. margaret says:

Don’t forget Cleveland after Swish and Cashman offering him up.
    I wish I had John’s blind faith in Cashman. Never have and it’s only gotten worse since George’s been gone from the day to day.

Yankeeland is not making me happy of late.

3. Jeff says:

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and all that jazz, Jane! Maybe Santa will bring you a starting pitcher. Ya never know! In my opinion, a healthy Oswalt is better than a schweddy Freddy. Edwin Jackson is pretty darn solid too (if you don’t mind walks ;-) Have a great holiday!

I’m with Peg, John. I don’t have your degree of faith in Cashman. And from my perspective, being a Yankee fan doesn’t mean we can’t question his moves (or lack thereof). So while I’m grateful that our team has been successful over the years and has a large payroll, I’m legitimately questioning what sort of starting pitching rotation our GM has in mind for the 2012 season. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

George didn’t always make the best moves, Peg, but at least he loved making things happen. I don’t miss his bombast or the drama he created, but I miss his competitive fire.

Happy Happy to you too, Jeff. A healthy Oswalt would be great, but that back of his does scare me. And I do mind walks if that’s what Jackson’s M.O. is. Maybe there’s somebody worth trading for.

5. Paul says:

Happy holidays, Jane! :)
    I’ll be watching outside my window on Christmas night hoping to see Santa Cashman arrive!

6. margaret says:

Agreed.. That is what i meant about George just not as articulate as you Jane.
    Or perhaps it was the morning egg nog.
    yes, it’s paula deens recipe….I hear you laughing young lady! but it’s true…no butter though just a lot of bourbon!
    It was there – left over from last evenings get together with some neighbors.
    Couldn’t let it go to waste you know, mixed well with coffee, alone, whatever.
    I’m easy this holiday season.

Happy Holidays to you, Paul! Hope there’s plenty of good cheer, Santa Cashman or not.

So you’ve been hitting the egg nog, Peg. And two days straight. I think your holiday will be significantly better because of it. Maybe you could pour it over your turkey or ham or whatever your main course is on Christmas Eve, sort of like gravy. HAHA.

8. Christiaan says:

Well, there was an MLB Trade Rumors report today that the Yankees and Red Sox were in the hottest pursuit of Kuroda…

I saw something about that too, Christiaan, but then I also read an item saying Cashman thought the price was too high. Not sure what to believe.