Who Saw Jeter With Barbara? (With a P.S.)

December 14th, 2011 by Jane Heller

dailynews.com

I waited forever for Barbara Walters’ “10 Most Fascinating People” Special tonight. I suffered through Simon Cowell, who has to be the most insufferable man on earth. I stuck it out through the Kardashians, who have to be the most bizarre human beings in the solar system. I even stuck it out through the promos for Donald Trump, who….Well, never mind.

Finally, there was the segment with Jeter and I nearly passed out with excitement. I’d been so starved for Yankees anything that I screamed when they showed the clips of every Jeter play we’ve all seen a zillion times.

I wish he’d let his hair grow a little. I wish he’d say something other than, “I just want to win games.” I wish he wasn’t always so coy. But what I really wish is that ABC had shown us out here on the West Coast the entire interview. All we got was an abbreviated version for some reason, and it really pissed me off.

The whole thing made me miss baseball all the more, but getting a glimpse of The Captain was better than nothing.

P.S. Here’s the picture ladyjane sent me of her and The Captain. Enjoy!

Tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “Who Saw Jeter With Barbara? (With a P.S.)”

1. margaret says:

It was a very short interview here in the east too. I DVR’d it because I could not suffer through the Kardashians or the donald. I just went to Jeet and it was mere seconds of an interview. He said nothing! He’s happy, he hates losing and he wants to own a team some day. Seriously that man can not answer questions better than anybody. So why do them I wonder? Although he controlled the interview, not Barbara.

2. Ladyjane303 says:

There wasn’t much to it here, either. But here’s the exciting thing – I’ve been so busy at work that I haven’t had time to tell you that I met the Captain last week when he did a PA at the store! Everyone here knows what a huge fan I am, and made sure I was introduced to him and had a picture taken. Let me tell you, swoon doesn’t begin to describe it. He’s verrrrrry tall (I knew that but the reality is something else), maybe a bit shy, extremely polite, and when he shook my hand and looked at me with those baby blues – oh, wow. Now that’s a Hanukkah present! And because I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow, let me take this opportunity to wish you, Jane, and all the she-fan fans a very happy, healthy holiday and a great new year.

3. Ruth says:

Um, Ladyjane303: Picture, please! We need proof! How exciting! And Jane, I think the interview you saw was the whole damn thing….those Barbara shows are always like that. These celebs must hate doing those stupid things…well, except the Kardashians who love the limelight. But we know Jeet wasn’t going to answer any of those questions about love life. And I’m sorry, even though I love him, I get so tired of hearing about how seasons are failures if you don’t win the World Series. We all know how hard it is to win a World Series, even when you can buy your talent, so stop expecting to win every year. There, I said it, and I’m not ashamed.

4. Ladyjane303 says:

Ruth – I would love to send the picture but I’m technically challenged and don’t know how to do it from my desktop. Suggestions please.

So it wasn’t just on the West Coast that the interview was edited, Peg, Ladyjane and Ruth? Here’s why I thought that. Go on the NY Daily News web site (nydailynews.com) and check out Mark Feinsand’s article. He talks about the “extended interview” Barbara did with Jeet and how he talks for the first time what it was like growing up in a mixed race family and how tough it was for him as a kid! I thought I was the only one who missed that, but maybe it got edited out for everybody and they used the rest on Good Morning America or elsewhere on the network. Hm.

Ladyjane, I am super super super excited you got to meet Jeet at the store! And I agree with Ruth: we want a picture! Actually, I’m sure you were very cool and didn’t even ask to have one taken. I can just imagine how adorable he must have been with you and how your heart must have been racing. Have a wonderful vacation and thanks for checking in with that great story. Travel safely.

Oh, ladyjane. Just saw your last comment. Feel free to send the pic as an attachment to me. You have my email address, right? I’ll post it as soon as I get it.

Thanks, ladies! And what a THRILL for ladyjane…many CONGRATS!! We R All Jealous…

She-Fan…that must have taken GREAT patience and tolerance to sit thru THAT cast of…um…characters. Sometimes I wish I knew even LESS about current pop culture, so I wouldn’t even know who you were talking about…kind of like how I am with most of your movie reviews…

Now my only (snarky) question is…did Jeet leave a basket of auty-graphed souvenirs for Baba? But y’know, she probably could afford her own limo ride home…

8. margaret says:

here is a snippet I found of that discussion. This was all just edited I suppose.
    They could have skipped that trump and just had more Derek.
    Agree Jane – he needs to grow the hair a bit.

Lady Jane – lucky you!!

I would love to see him when no one is around. I can’t fathom that he is that cool and guarded all the time. If so what a drag.

9. Paul says:

Great pic! :)

10. John says:

Lady Jane that smile on your faces says it all!

I got to talk to Jeter some years ago at spring training and I remember the thrill. Your new name is Lucky Lady Jane now.

The show itself was disappointing, Dave. Other than Jeter, you didn’t miss anything if you didn’t watch. Barbara’s “interviews” were basically soft ball questions and some didn’t even feature the actual subject. A waste of time.

It’s strange that they edited out the most interesting part of the interview, Peg. But maybe it was too substantive for Barbara. HAHA. I’ve seen Jeter out at restaurants with Jorge or other close pals and he does seem guarded, as if he never wants to make a mistake that will land him in the tabloids.

I agree, Paul!

My only interaction with Jeter, John, was at the 2000 World Series when I was sitting in the first row, right behind the on deck circle, with “the other Jane Heller” who is Jeter’s banker. He kept talking to her/us and I was in heaven.

12. John says:

He was “young” in 2000. I recall you mentioning the other Jane Heller before. I can imagine that front row thrill.

He signed a ball and a replica of his All Star jersey from the year he was the MVP of the game for me. Actually it was either 2000 or 2001 I think.

13. Jeff says:

I didn’t get to see it, but I know how starved for baseball you are. I’m there too. And every time I turn on MLBN I have to see AP in a Halo *VOMITS*. Like you, I would like to see Jeet open up a little to give us a glimpse of what’s really going on, but then I wonder if that’s not part of his appeal — the mystery… the intrigue… if I had access to it all, maybe I wouldn’t be so enamored. I don’t know.

OMG, John. The front row thrill was amazing. We were right next to the Yankees dugout. One of the great experiences of my life.

It must be awful to see Albert in that new uni, Jeff. I can only imagine. Sigh. And yes, maybe part of Jeter’s appeal is that sense of mystery, but we do get tired of hearing: “I just want to win. Everything else is a failure.” At least he told Barbara he was “happy.” That’s something.