Thanksgiving At Rhonda’s: The 2011 Edition

November 25th, 2011 by Jane Heller

It was an eventful dinner for this Yankee fan. Naturally.

For those who are new to the blog, Michael and I go to LA every year for Thanksgiving. Our hostess is our friend Rhonda, who produces the Emmy winning soap “The Bold and the Beautiful.”

Rhonda takes the time and effort to make her table beautiful, and this year’s setting was no exception.

But despite the amazing food (succulent turkey, stuffing to die for, etc.) and warm hospitality, Rhonda had once again chosen to invite her close friend and my baseball nemesis, Mary Ann.

Mary Ann not only roots for the Dodgers but despises the Yankees. She and I were seated at opposite ends of the table (clever move by Rhonda), but between the main course and dessert we both got up to stretch our legs, went into the next room and started talking about our teams. It didn’t go well.

Yes, we exchanged little laughs here and there, but make no mistake. After the She-Fan Cam stopped recording, things got ugly.

Mary Ann followed me back to the table (“stalked” is more like it) and hit me with one of Rhonda’s centerpieces. Needless to say, the fur flied and we engaged in a full-on food fight. Sadly, Rhonda’s beautiful table looked like this when it was all over.

I hope I’m invited back next year, but who knows.

In Yankees news, I can’t say I’m thrilled with the signing of Sweaty Freddy Garcia. Yes, he did well for us last year, but really, Cashman? Don’t we still need to sign somebody good? Or maybe buy somebody, as Mary Ann would say. Come to think of it, maybe stealing Kershaw from her precious Dodgers would be fun.

Tags: , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Thanksgiving At Rhonda’s: The 2011 Edition”

1. John says:

Mary Ann has obviously been drinking a lot of California water!

She mentions seeing you “next year”. Remember Jane, all of us bloggers are “Bold and Beautiful” and would welcome the “She Fan” for any holiday.

You went through 9 minutes with this totally unplugged “fan”. I would have given her maybe 3 minutes and she would have either become a disavowed baseball fan or a Red Sox National.

Keep this in mind when facing these irrational people. “Friends Dont’t Let Friends Become ___ ___ Fans”, you can fill in the blanks accordingly.

Seriously, looks like a nice Thanksgiving gathering. Glad your day was joyous (except for May Ann).

Yes, Mary Ann’s been drinking the California water for a long time, John. I’m still an east coaster at heart and always will be. I do appreciate your invitation to join you and your family at holiday time, but I look forward to my jousting with Mary Ann, even though this year’s conversation took nine whole minutes! (I think it went longer because she veered into football and Reggie Bush. Haha.)

3. Freya says:

Ugh! Mary Ann is repulsive, very out of touch, and a snob. I would have strangled her.

I promise you she’s not repulsive in the slightest, Freya. She was just having fun with me because that’s what we do at Thanksgiving. She’s actually very charming and you’d like her.

5. Kathleen says:

Happy Thanksgiving, Jane! What a saint you are! I am not sure Mary Ann is based in reality. Nothing to do in OC? Thinks it is easy to get to Yankee Stadium? Has she been on the 4 train at 4:00 pm in the afternoon? I was last summer, and I was looking up the nostrils of a perfect stranger next to me! Also, USC football? OK. I agree with Freya that she came off as a snob. I will believe you when you say she is charming.
    Hey, congrats on the “An Ex to Grind” moving along towards being a movie! I loved the book and I will be there on opening day!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Kathleen. Hope you had a good one. Don’t be too hard on poor Mary Ann. She was a great sport to sit for that video and provide a little humor for my blog. She really is a nice person! So you read my tweet about “An Ex to Grind?” Very excited that Fox renewed the option and they’re continuing to develop the movie. Sure hope my wish for it comes true.

7. Freya says:

OK Jane. Based on your reply I’ll take back what I said. My apologies are in order for judging her.z

Based on the video, Freya, I’d be judging her too – and not in kind terms. But she and I do have fun with our little rivalry. She genuinely doesn’t like the Yankees; no act there. But we enjoy needling each other.

9. Jeff says:

If the Yanks stole Kershaw, then yes, that would DEFINITELY be a fight with Mary Ann worth recording. Mary Ann, much like any real fan, goes to bat for her team — win or lose — and that’s commendable. Also, that first table setting pictured looks good enough to eat, even without the food!

Unfortunately, I doubt Kershaw is going anywhere, Jeff. And yes, the table looked gorgeous but you should have seen the food! My stomach is still groaning. Turkey, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, gravy, on and on – and then more goodies for dessert.

11. Christiaan says:

Poor Rhonda! Her beautiful table… gone. But what did she expect was going to happen when she invited baseball nemeses to the same dinner? :)

Rhonda may have to rethink her guest list for next year, Christiaan. LOL.

13. Uncle Mike says:

Frankly, I can’t imagine why Mary Ann would root for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Wasn’t she on Gilligan’s Island so long she thought they were still in Brooklyn?

14. jane says:

Knowing what could possibly transpire, I’m surprised Rhonda continues to invite the two of you! Or maybe she’s looking for more story lines for her show?? As usual, you handled yourself with grace and class and made all the rest of us She Fans proud!

I loved her Brooklyn reference, Uncle Mike. I guess she forgot that her Dodgers have done very well in their LA home – a long time ago.

Grace and class? Well, I don’t know about that, Jane, but I appreciate the sentiment. I think Rhonda continues to invite me because she knows I’ll write something very dramatic about her dinners on this blog!

17. Emma says:

No! Not my Kershaw! Not Mr. Sunshine! like some of us Dodger fans have nicknamed him. He is such a cuite. Season ticket holders got invited to Dodger Stadium to celebrate him getting the NL Cy Young award! It was gloriuos being on the field. Vin Scully was also there. BTW, today is Vin’s Birthday! He is 84 years young!
    Emma

18. Emma says:

Is going to take a while to turn the Dodgers around but regarding attendance, based on the circumstances, if another team was in the same boat as the Dodgers, their attendance also would have suffered.

Dodgers have not won a World Series since 1988. That is 23 years waiting. I feel bad for young Dodger fans that have never experience a World Series. But overall they have had success in Los Angeles. In fact, the fans got spoiled when the Dodgers got here in 1958 winning the following year 1959, then 1963 when they swept the Yankees, then 1965 against the Twins. Then there was a long 16 years until 1981 when they defeated the Yankees. The last one in 1988 they were obviously the big underdog against the Oakland A’s. Their only Word Series in Brooklyn was 1955 but they were very competitive there.

Win or lose, I love the Dodgers. Like Roger Kahn’s quote says “You may glory in a team triumphant… But you fall in love with a team in defeat.” I know I did.

Emma

Very cool that you were on hand for Kershaw’s Cy Young celebration, Emma. So Vin Scully and Mariano Rivera have the same birthday. And yes, it’ll take a while for the Dodgers to get people back to the ballpark but once the new owners are in place things will improve.