“Fat Camp?”

November 16th, 2011 by Jane Heller

I meant to write about the following item the other day when I saw it on LoHud:

Cashman confirmed a report that Hughes is once again working with Athletes Performance to improve his conditioning this offseason. It was Hughes’ idea, not the Yankees, but the team is happy about it. “I think physical conditioning got him out of the gate slow when he showed up to spring training, but I don’t think it had anything to do with his season,” Cashman said. “We got him in shape. Him, Joba, we have a few guys on a yearly basis that we put into fat camp. I think (Hughes) was eight pounds over when he showed up for spring training, but we knocked it out, and he took care of it with the extra work in the spring.

Fat camp? Seriously, Brian? That’s what you call it when Hughes and Joba and other guys need to shed a few pounds? Does Allison Sweeney show up to host? Is there an audience? Are there weigh-ins? I’m thinking this is a YES reality show waiting to happen.

In other news, I was happy to read that Eric Chavez wants to keep playing. Yes, he gets injured a lot, but he’s no Nick Johnson. He actually plays, and when he does it usually goes well. I felt very comfortable having him sub for A-Rod at third. He can hit too.

And finally, Francona said today he doesn’t want to manage in 2012. Is that a face saver in case he gets passed over for any openings he interviews for? Or does he really want to take a breather? Apparently, he’s been contacted by FOX, ESPN and MLBN about booth duty. Judging by his FOX performance during the ALCS, Vin Scully has nothing to worry about.

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to ““Fat Camp?””

1. Jeff says:

I thought Francona was an excellent analyst. Blows McCarver away. Hope he goes to the booth. As for conditioning, why do these multimillion dollar athletes need to be told to stay in shape? I would expect the millions of dollars in their bank accounts would be motivation enough but what do I know?

I guess we disagree on Francona’s broadcasting abilities, Jeff. To my ears, he mumbled, garbled his words, didn’t sound comfortable. I have no doubt that he has insights to share. I just think he needs a course in TV 101 (or ask Joe Torre how to do it.) I, too, shake my head about the players not being in shape, but maybe people are all the same when it comes to putting on weight. Some guys may be like the average dieter who needs a kick in the butt to take the pounds off.

3. Jeff says:

Yeah, for me, Francona was great for the same reason I think Valentine is great: they offer unique insight into the game, things you wouldn’t know or think of otherwise, whereas as McCarver will say things like: “That’s a fastball. As you can see, it is fast. That’s why it’s a fastball.”

Well, compared to McCarver, Jeff, even I would be a genius in the booth!

5. Kathleen says:

Nick Johnson who? Anyway, I agree. Anyone is better than McCarver. Or Buck. Hopefully he will be more neutral when broadcasting Yankee games than the other two!
    Rumor alert – Bobby Valentine possibly to fill the manager’s roll in Boston. What do you think?

I heard that Valentine rumor, Kathleen, and I think it would be great for the rivalry if it happened. He’s a fiery guy. Can you imagine all the tumult whenever the Red Sox come to New York? Yowza.