And The Cardinals’ New Manager Is….

November 13th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Apparently, Mike Matheny is a four-time Gold Glove catcher who’s never managed. I guess Tony Francona was too experienced? What do I know. When I heard Matheny’s name as the replacement for La Russa, I thought they had hired Pat Metheny.

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “And The Cardinals’ New Manager Is….”

1. margaret says:

Oh the young ‘ens aren’t going to know Pat Metheny – we are showing our age.

Happy Monday.
    I’m winning the lottery today. Just thought I’d let you know.
    It’s going to make a good week for me.
    No, I didn’t have a bloody mary for breakfast Jane…..irish coffee :-)

2. Jeff says:

Haha. Yeah, I guess experience isn’t needed in managing anymore. Matheny was the prototypical Cardinal and a helluvah catcher, so I’m hoping this experiment goes well (I have no choice, really).

3. John says:

FYI everybody.

Yankee Spring Training schedule is out (earliest ever). They play Red Sox once and Mets twice next March.

Metheny. Hoo boy. So they passed over Oquendo, the choice of Pujols, who’s been their base coach for a loong time and who’s allegedly very baseball savvy. Have a stiff one, Jeff…this may not go well…

But hey, they have their title to savor. There’s always that post-title honeymoon (see Yankees, 2010); and now, speaking of same, it’s time to Sign That Pitcher (or three), Mr. Cash-Man. And keep your “arns in the far” for Young Cubanos and hot Young Anybody-os on whom to place that NY brand. Auntie Jane (and Uncle Michael, and Todos Los Bloggeros) Want…YOU!!

5. Yank33ss says:

Hey Jane, should we go after Yu? I know I know. Our track record (or anyone’s for that matter) with Japanese imports isn’t very good. But it’s hard not to get caught up in the hype. By all accounts this guy has the stuff and makeup to make it in the states. And even though he will carry a hefty price tag, he will likely make as much or less than cj Wilson. But cj just isn’t the number 1a we need.

Way to start out your day, Peg! I like that attitude even if you don’t win the lottery. And yes, I’m showing my age with the Pat Metheny reference, but it is what it is.

Catchers make great managers, Jeff. Maybe it’ll be a great experiment.

Thanks, John. I assume you’re going this year?

“Hot Young Anybody” sounds good right now, Dave. I want some excitement in Yankeeville!

I’m a little afraid of Yu, Yank33ss. As you say, our luck with Japanese imports (pitchers, that is) isn’t great and Dice K was a flop for the Red Sox. I just don’t know how the talent there translates here.