The Marlins Are Like Kids In A Candy Store

November 10th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Last winter the Nationals surprised everybody by spending big on Jayson Werth. Are the Marlins this year’s Nats? According to MLB.com, they’re on a spending spree or are about to be.

Pujols to meet with Marlins, possibly Saturday
By Matthew Leach

The wooing of Albert Pujols is about to get under way in earnest.

An industry source told MLB.com on Thursday that Pujols’ camp is scheduled to meet in Miami with the Marlins within the next few days, possibly as early as Saturday. Pujols is a free agent for the first time after he and the Cardinals were unable to reach an agreement last winter.

Pujols, 31, is the biggest-name free agent on the market this offseason, but one of several that Florida (soon to be Miami on Friday) is considering. The Marlins move into a new ballpark next season, and their payroll is expected to increase dramatically.

They have already met with pitcher Mark Buehrle and shortstop Jose Reyes, and a Marlins contingent traveled to the Dominican Republic to see Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes this week as well. The Marlins have Gaby Sanchez at first base, but Pujols is the kind of unique talent who could certainly cause a team to rethink what it has in-house.

Normally, I wouldn’t pay any attention to what an NL team does. But with the Yankees having a quiet off-season so far (yes, it’s early, but still), the entitled fan in me is getting itchy. Aside from locking up CC, all we’re hearing about is how Cashman is placing calls to various agents, acknowledging that he wants to add a starter but reiterating that the Yankees don’t have “a need” for much else.

I admit it. I like when we go shopping. Nothing against any of our guys, but it’s not as much fun when we stand pat while other teams are wheeling and dealing.

Maybe I just need to go buy a pair of shoes or something.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “The Marlins Are Like Kids In A Candy Store”

1. Ruth says:

How great for Albert if he were to go to Florida/Miami! He would be the star attraction for every one of the 32 fans who actually go to those games. How does a team with that sparse of fan interest get a new stadium, exactly??? Happy Veterans Day!

2. Jeff says:

Leach’s article makes me get misty eyed. This can’t be happening… he wouldn’t cheat on St. Louis, would he? *Tequila shot*

Good question about the stadium, Ruth. I guess they must have negotiated something with the city. Still, will people show up? Miami is a bigger market than Tampa/St Pete but Florida is filled with snowbirds who go north in April. The economics of having a baseball team there never made much sense to me.

I still don’t think Albert will leave you, Jeff – not if he knows how you really feel about him. I think it may be time for you to call him, take him out, get him drunk and make him sign a contract.

4. jane says:

Retail therapy is good for everyone, at every level. The more you spend, the more fun it is! I want those shoes! Sure hope the Marlins can continue to shop with that new park. The old one wasn’t that old, was it?

I love retail therapy, Jane! I don’t know how old the Marlins’ stadium was, except that it was huge and was used for football.

Just one note to add…they ARE building a spectacular new ballpark in Miami. Son #2 is a lifelong Dolphins fan (NFL), but he keeps an eye on other South Florida teams. He’s e-mailed me sketches of the place — it’s going to have a retractable roof, I believe (really needed down there), a gorgeous view of downtown Miami, and…get this…in the areas behind and curving around home plate…LIVE AQUARIUMS. Makes you wonder if that Chapman guy threw one hard enough…?!? But anyway. And they will be the Miami Marlins, which was the name of the AAA team that played in the old International League, back in the days of the Montreal Royals, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Havana Sugar Kings. Ole!!

Their ballpark sounds beautiful, Dave. Good for them. But will people go? Miami’s a great city and has more of an all-year-round population than St. Pete does. It’ll be interesting to see how attendance goes. I did read about their name change – I think they christened the team the other day. What they really need to do is put a high quality team on the field and it sounds like they’re trying to do that.

8. Renee says:

Jane, heard the GM Samson on radio today (Wed), was quite cagey, refused to confirm or deny Pujols, Reyes, Burley, but did say their payroll wouldn’t go over $100M. When LeBatard pushed him on high figures plus long terms, Samson said, “Well, we never had our own stadium before.” He seemed to think the “revenue stream” could support big offers, but if you’ve ever seen the attendance at a Tuesday night Marlins game, you’d wonder if a new house, on top of the old Orange Bowl site, will turn the audience around, roof or no roof. I, frankly, am skeptical (and I’ve been to Marlins games…. when they play my teams!). I’m not feeling the love…. or money.

All these potential free agent signings do sound a little ambitious for them, Renee. But if they’re going around making offers to people, they must either have the money or believe they’ll make it at the new place. I’d be doubtful too though.

10. Renee says:

Oh, I am in tune with the universe… or at least Keith O.