Cashman’s Next Reign

November 1st, 2011 by Jane Heller

Courtesy: bronxbaseballdaily.com

Not that there was any doubt that Cash would sign a new contract, but it’s nice to have stability in the front office. It just is.

I read the highlights from his conference call with the media and it was all pretty standard stuff, although two things did stand out for me.

“I don’t anticipate a bat being a need at all,” he said.

Whaaaat?

Sure, the Yankees have a loaded lineup. But that loaded lineup not only went cold in the postseason, it’s got guys like Tex and Swisher who are streaky, plus A-Rod will be coming off an injury-riddled, sub-par season. And there won’t be Posada. Are we relying on Montero as DH? Don’t we need a bench if Chavez and Jones aren’t back? Contrary to what our GM said, I would like a bat. Or two.

“I would not look at A.J. as a reliever,” he said. “If he’s with us, without a doubt he’s in the rotation.”

Whaaaat?

If he’s with us? Was Cashman implying that AJ might be traded? Sort of a weird comment.

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “Cashman’s Next Reign”

1. Paul says:

Mmm, it sounds like Cash thinks about the possibility of trading AJ indeed…but I really can’t believe there’s a team so crazy to give him all those money (it should be 33M for the next 2 years, if I remember well). I’d bet about seeing him pitching in the Bronx till the end of his contract, but I might be wrong afterall.
    I agree with you about the need of some bats, Jane, at least in the bench.

2. Jeff says:

Now watch him trade AJ to go get a… BAT! Haha. Sounds like Cash has perfected the language of the vague. I don’t blame him considering what he’s been through from a PR standpoint.

I don’t believe there’s a team that would take AJ either, Paul, unless the Yankees paid a large portion of what he’s owed. And I think his good performance in the postseason gives everybody renewed hope that he can finally pitch well or at least more consistently.

I guess all these baseball execs speak in tongues, Jeff. They tend to be deliberately vague, saying a lot without saying much. That’s why I feel it’s my duty to parse their words!

Cash-Man is back, indeed. To borrow from Jane, “make it reign…”
    Don’t think even the NATS are dumb enuf to trade for AJ, altho’ they do have C-M Wang now. Just sounds like typical GM doubletalk to me.
    And you’re so right about Another Bat. They still miss Godzilla and Johnny D. Not to mention Mr. Thames. As the playoffs unfolded, my wife teased me that Matt Holliday was hitting so bad, he’d be a PERFECT signing for the Yankees. Ha, ha. Only if the Bosox pay his salary…!

5. Paul says:

Ohh, right, I didn’t think about the possibility of the Yankees paying part of his salary, Jane. In this perspective, it all could become interesting! But, however, I’d miss his pies!

Hmm, the Nats taking AJ, Dave. That’s not a bad thought. I bet he’d do great in the NL. But I think the Yankees will stick with him and that Cashman’s comment was GM doubletalk as you say. I miss Johnny and Hideki too, but Thames? Not so much. I think Chavez would play an important role off the bench and spelling A-Rod at third – if he decides not to retire.

I’d miss AJ’s pies too, Paul, but I’m sure Swisher would be more than willing to take over that role – even pie-ing himself if he hit a walkoff!

7. Lauren says:

It is going to be weird without Posada. Just weird. Stability must be nice. My team has the opposite of that right now. I will be interested to see what the options for AJ are. It’s not like he’s the rotation stallion. I don’t speak front office, so, I guess we’ll just wait and see what translates. It is going to be an interesting off-season…

Yes, your team does have the opposite of stability right now, Lauren. But I’m sure whatever changes are in store will be improve the situation. And you don’t have to deal with Lackey for an entire year. That’s got to be good news.

9. Sue says:

I think everything a GM says needs to be taken not with just a grain of salt, but a whole shaker. Hmm, shaker of salt – now I want a margarita!

Now that sounds like a plan, Sue. Are you buying?

11. barbara says:

congrats to cano and granderson. i am so starved for the yankees that i am following silver sluggers. april can’t come fast enough.
    i got to tell my co workers how great the yankees are today by talking about cashman supporting ceo sleepout solidarity. he will be sleeping a night on the streets of ny to raise awareness of homelessness. his quotes were nice and my boston colleagues in the homeless shelter were glad to hear it!

Yes, nice news about both of our Silver Sluggers, Barbara. Well deserved. Now if only Brett Gardner hadn’t been robbed of a Gold Glove. I agree about Cashman’s fundraising/awareness effort on behalf of homeless kids. He’s making us proud.

13. Paul says: