OMG! That Game 6 Was A Classic!

October 27th, 2011 by Jane Heller

Photo: Chris Lee/Post-Dispatch

I did my usual half-assed job of watching tonight’s game – in the beginning. Both teams were playing sloppy baseball and I figured whoever made the fewest errors would win.

But then things got really interesting and I couldn’t look away even if I’d wanted to. Talk about an insane, amazing, unbelievable battle. It was the stuff that classic World Series games are made of.

And after watching those bullpens, how much did everybody appreciate Mo? I pray he never retires. Seriously.

The Rangers got to within seconds of their first championship – more than once – and they couldn’t make it happen. The Cardinals wouldn’t let them. Freese was the walkoff hero, but how about the former Fat Elvis?

I’m glad I wasn’t in the Texas clubhouse after that one. FOX kept showing Nolan Ryan (including the shot where he appeared to be sucking his thumb). I thought the Rangers would win it after Josh Hamilton played the Kirk Gibson role, but no. They gagged.

And now we fans get a Game 7. Oh boy!

Tags: , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “OMG! That Game 6 Was A Classic!”

1. new yawk lover says:

sensational stuff. I was also put off by the sloppy play, but damn, what a finish. The Hamilton homer did look like the harbinger of doom for the Cards, but, they hung tough. I’m loving this WS. Very exciting stuff

2. dj says:

“Stayin’ Alive. Stayin’ Alive. Ah, ah, ah, ah, Stayin’ Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!”

Whatta game!! Bases loaded for Cards (twice!) and they couldn’t score. Rangers were 1 strike away (twice!) from winning their first WS and can’t close the deal. CRAZY!!

My husband told Joe to “shut up” when he was talking about Hamilton not having hit a home run. And… there it goes! Cracked me up b/c the hubby gives me a hard time whenever I complain about Joe and Tim. He then asked if “Puma” was Berkman’s nickname since they showed someone holding up a “puma” sign while LB was up to bat. I said I didn’t know; the only nickname I know for him is Fat Elvis. He sure put on a show.

I keep saying I don’t really care who wins, I just want to see a good series. Can’t really complain, can I?? I would like to see the Rangers win since they are an AL team and have never won a WS. On the other hand, I find myself rooting for the Cards. Berkman played for us last year. Punto played for my Twins last year. And I am hoping if they win that it will be more likely that Pujols will stay. I have major issues with all the trades that go on these days. Besides our Yankees trio and Mauer with the Twins, there are very few guys that will play most or all of their career with the same team.

I’m just glad we have one more day of baseball. Who’s ready for spring training?? =)

3. Ruth says:

Riding yet another baseball high today….At both of those 2 out, 2 strike moments I was starting to panic…end of baseball season…end of baseball season….but we live to see another day. What an incredible month of baseball this has been!

4. Jeff says:

UN… BE… LIEVABLE. Jane, I was in tears, mostly from the seven heart attacks I suffered. Wow. Hard to describe.

5. Ruth says:

Jeff, my ‘clap, clap, clap’ to you for surviving that game….I was thinking if it had been the Yankees, I’m not sure my heart would have held up.

I, too, thought the Hamilton homer was the nail in the coffin, NYL, especially because he was hurt and what a story it would be, but the Cards just kept coming. Amazing.

I was watching while on Twitter last night, DJ, and everybody was saying, “Oh, look at all the runners the Cardinals left on base.” They really did have their chances early on, but in the end, the got the runs when it counted. And Fat Elvis sure has had a different kind of season than when he was a Yankee. He not only looks different; he plays different. Only 109 days until spring training.

Isn’t it funny how everybody was panicking and getting crazy nervous in those 2 out, 2 strike situations, Ruth, and yet none of us really had a horse in the race? It was great baseball and hard to resist.

Oh, Jeff. You must have been going out of your mind! It looked like your boys were going down, but somehow they just wouldn’t go away. It’s a miracle you’re still breathing. Good luck tonight.

My heart wouldn’t have held up if it had been the Yankees, Ruth. I’d be in an emergency room somewhere.

Well well well. As my wife said this morning, “This is GREAT for baseball.” And yes, it surely is.
    Unlike you left coasters and insomniacs (Jeff doesn’t count), I went to bed. Keep in mind, I get up at 4:30 EST every AM. These ain’t my dogs in the hunt. I have said, very cynically (borrowing from my wife), that the BEST thing is that somebody will LOSE, and (she likes to say) if you don’t WIN it, it don’t mean spit…

Except that it DOES mean something, and we true baseball fans all know that. Last weekend at that wedding, I was delighted to learn that most of the guys didn’t know a thing about Bing Crosby and his connection to the ’60 Series, so I loved retelling the tale. And this was all about an EPIC Game 7 that the Yankees LOST…coincidentally, by the same 10-9 score as last nite. Foreshadowing? Omens, anyone?

Now how could I go to bed on this one? Well, because I watched the FIRST six innings. It looked like the Kubs vs. the Klowns out there; worst fielding I’ve seen in the Series since the 2006 Tigers (recall how none of their pitchers could make an accurate throw to any base? I know JEFF remembers). But after all those screw-ups, once the Cards tied it up at 4-4 in the 6th, I said “that’s it…they’ll score a few more; it’s over.”

Don’t you just love it when I’m wrong? Okay, so it’s almost a daily event, but still…

It is sadistically delicious watching Nolan Ryan & all of Dallas squirm and suffer like this, remembering how they stole the Washington Senators and broke my wife’s heart for 33 years. But they STILL can win this; remember, Carlton Fisk hit a dramatic extra-inning HR in Game 6 once, and the Red Sox…lost. I’ve spent many nites of my adult sports fan life NOT rooting for the Cardinals — except in 2004, you SOBs…but after last nite, all that history, their many many passionate fans, and all those graceful bloggings of Jeff…

Oh BTW, we have dinner at a friend’s house tonight, a lady who works with my wife…she & her husband are from Missouri, and Matt is a lifelong Cards fan; so it’s Doris Day time: “Que sera, sera…whatever will be, will be…the future’s not ours to see…” Let’s have some fun, shall we…?!

9. Ladyjane303 says:

This entire series is one for the ages. Exciting, unpredictable, and baseball at its best. Couldn’t be better…oh wait, it could be if it were in The Bronx. But I’m riveted and can’t wait for first pitch (and the last) tonight.

10. barbara says:

when there was a game rained out, i said this is perfect now there can be a game 7 on friday night so i can watch. i love game 7s in any sport and i love that it is friday night and i can actually stay up and watch. i usually get up between 5-6 so i try not to let myself stay on late and therefore haven’t seen what i read is an interesting world series. i wish the yankees were in it. i still don’t know how i’m going to go so many more months without them. i do know that i, and many others of us, would be sick with nerves if the yankees were in it. my husband said that i must be glad the yankees aren’t in it so i don’t have to be sick anxious and i told him he was crazy. i’d take the crazy nerves for the chance for even crazier happiness. clearly both teams need mariano!

Your wife is right, Dave. It’s great for baseball. FOX must be thrilled that there’s a Game 7 tonight. Their ratings should be off the charts.

Me too, ladyjane. I didn’t much care about the first few games in this series but now? I’ll be right there for the first (and last) pitch.

The “Mo Factor” became very clear, Barbara. He’s not perfect, as we all know, but I have to believe he would have done a better job than what we saw last night. I’d like to pack him in bubble wrap and keep him safe for years to come.

12. Leo says:

I laughed at all of you saying that if the Yankees were in the series and in those situations that our poor hearts would not be able to handle it. Which would be very true. But believe it or not, I actually somewhat felt intense throughout the game (obviously not as much unless the Yanks were in it) but it was a great thrilling feeling as a baseball fan. I was mildly rooting for the Cards solely so we can get a Game 7 and have baseball just one more day. A sloppy played game in the beginning turned into a very entertaining back and forth thriller. Tonight will have a tough time to live up to last night but as baseball fans, we owe it to ourselves to watch the final game before a long offseason.

13. Freya says:

I was also half heartedly watching the game, while also watching my Thursday night shows (Private Practice). I thought the Rangers were going to win, and I was rooting for the Cardinals. Then it got very exciting and of course I stayed up to watch the end of the game. I too do not think my heart would have been able to stand it if it was a Yankee game.

I agree that tonight will be hard to match in intensity, Leo. It could be a blowout early. On the other hand, Carpenter is pitching on short rest and the Rangers’ pitcher can only go 5 innings or so, and we could be seeing another battle of the pens, which could lead to a free for all!

I was thinking about you east coasters, Freya, and wondering who would stay up until the very end. I bet you’re glad it didn’t go 15 innings.

15. Emma says:

Jane,
    What a game! I thought the Rangers had wrapped up when the score was 7-4 in the 7th. I started listening on the train with my MLB at Bat on the phone, then on the radio in my car then on TV from the 5th inning. I was glued. When it was over since I was watching FOX en Espanol, I switched the channel and found that ESPN Classics was showing game 6 of the 1981 World Series so of course I had to watch that too. I am ready for game 7 tonight! May the best team win!

I came in on this one in the fifth inning, just in time to miss most of the sloppiness and witness all the fun. My husband and I have both been nursing colds so he went to bed after the 7th inning but I stayed up until the bottom of the ninth – Wow, so glad I did! Unfortunately, I did go to bed after the Cards tied it but was thrilled with what I had just witnessed. The news has crossed the pond, apparently – my daughter who is in London emailed to ask if I had watched and said people (probably on Facebook) were saying it was the best baseball game ever. I don’t know about that, but it was fun.

I probably won’t get to see much of tonight’s game because I need to get some sleep before leaving home at 4 a.m. for a 9 a.m. flight out of Logan. I’m going to London to visit said daughter. We’re going to Paris for a few days, too, so I deserve no sympathy. I’m just sorry I won’t be able to soak up every last drop of baseball before the long hiatus.

Go Cards! Go Rangers! I no longer care who wins, I’m just glad to scrappy teams made this a good series.

17. Melissa says:

Two comments from our house during the early innings:

me:” I don’t want Texas to win . . . I don’t want the Cardinals to win either ” (I am actually rooting for them.) . . . ” I want the Yankees to win.”

My husband: “Any team whose fans wave homer hankies should not be allowed to win the world series.”

listened to the end on the radio. What a game!!!!

We’ll all be watching with you, Emma. May the best team win indeed.

I hope your cold is all better for your big trip, Audrey. How exciting that you’ll be in London visiting your daughter and then going on to Paris. I’m jealous! Safe travels.

The trouble with your husband’s comment, Melissa, is that both sets of fans wave homer hankies, don’t they? And the Rangers do that claw thing, which I’m not wild about. But I’m getting set for the first pitch so play ball!